SpringBoard now directs URL clicks to apps
The iPhone 3.2 OS allegedly integrates several additional iPad features that Apple has yet to formally introduce, an unnamed source has told AppleInsider. The Contact app, known as MobileAddressBook, has been converted into a utility labeled LittleBrownBook. The app is believed to be available as a standalone version, or as a widget that provides contact information from within other applications.
ShareAppScreen has released its self-titled Dashboard widget that allows users to manage their iPhone home screen from their computer. The widget additionally allows users to share views of their iPhone or iPod touch screens with select contacts, while providing access to iPhone apps. Users can drag and drop their favorite apps into an inbox to make them more quickly accessible. If new apps are downloaded and synced to the phone, the widget will only load information from the new apps.
Discogs Widget for Mac
Developer Samuel De Backer has released the first version of Another Discogs Widget, an add-on for Mac OS X. The widget provides quick access to data from the Discogs website, which collects information on artists, albums, labels and track listings. Before searching, users can specify a category to search through, and multiple results are delivered in case of confusion. The widget requires Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later, and is technically free; donations are encouraged, however.
web widgets on the desktop
Mesa Dynamics has posted a beta of Amnesty Hypercube, which is designed to “free” Google Gadgets and other web widgets from the confines of a web browser to the desktop. Not to be confused with Dashboard widgets, web widgets are tiny applications -- often snippets of HTML code -- designed to be inserted in blogs or other web pages. Amnesty Hypercube allows these widgets to be launched from within Dashboard or from the desktop.
Limifi Research Widget
Lumifi, a company specializing in research and work collaboration services, says it has developed a new widget for Mac OS X. Sitting in the Dashboard, the Research Widget duplicates some of the functionality of the Lumifi portal, by letting users enter quick search queries. Unlike tools from Google or Yahoo, however, the Lumifi widget is said to prioritize the connections between words, instead of the popularity of a website.
- Domainer 1.6 ($40) an application for web site owners, marketers and investors track and manage their domain names. RAGE Domainer allows web site owners to centralize domain details, as well as those of their competitors, with one easy tuse application. Domainer also provides an overview of a domain's value through various popularity measures including Google PageRank, AlexaRank, incoming back links, and social tags.This free update allows exporting and printing of Domain details to provide a quick overview of domain information and popularity for clients or personal use. [Download - 10.8MB]
- Vvidget 10.5.2 ($190) used to automate graphs for desktop applications, dashboard widgets and web sites. The new release includes support for Quick Look: All data visualization documents made with Vvidget Builder are now browsable through the Mac OS X Finder, including Cover Flow, List and Icon views. This gives immediate access using familiar Finder controls and enables a powerful instant-on data browsing tool. [Download - form]
- Code Collector Pro 1.0 ($30) application for storing code snippets. Key features include Smart Groups: Helps users keep their snippets organized; Snippet Sharing: Snippets can be exported to single files to be shared with other Code Collector users; Customizable Syntax Coloring: Snippets are colored depending on their language; TextMate Bundle Support: Expand the syntax coloring and language support by adding TextMate Bundles. New in version 1.2 is integration with CodeCollector.net for sharing snippets online, an improved source list, snippet locking and enhanced drag and drop support. [Download - 2.5MB]
- Art Files 1.3 ($50) a stand-alone application that takes the tedious task of collecting Illustrator documents, linked images and fonts for graphics files and turns it into a simple point and click operation. Art Files focuses on gathering just the information you need to get your files packaged up for your service provider. This update improves the speed and stability of packaging all Illustrator CS3 files. The result is a massive speed benefit, repeatedly saving time whenever you collect or archive a file. In addition, Art Files now allows you to "re-link" multiple files in the same directory, handles auto-naming of single-file collections, supports custom naming of folders and more. [Download - 1MB]
- EvoCam 3.6.2 ($30) webcam software for Mac OS X. Use EvoCam to publish a webcam with streaming video, view and record video from network cameras and video servers, create timelapse movies, or use it as part of your home security system with its configurable motion sensors. EvoCam 3.6.2 adds support for more network cameras, and fixes several bugs affecting application stability. [Download - 1MB]
Mylo Labs developer forum
Sony today launched the Mylo COM-2 developer community, a website for Mylo developers to meet and learn about creating widgets for the communications device. The Mylo COM-2, announced January 6th, allows users to communicate over various social networks, such as Facebook and YouTube, and is customizable through the use of official and user-created "widgets". The service will give users a place to meet other widget developers, as well as upload and discuss their own projects.
Ultra Games Bundle II
iGiki has released its Ultra Games Bundle II for Apple's iPod touch and iPhone. The compilation for Apple gadgets includes more than 40 games, software to create custom games, and widgets as well as various extras. Users can create custom iPod touch and iPhone games without writing a single line of code, according to iGiki, while widgets offer games like Block and FaceOff modified for use with multi-touch displays. iGiki Games Bundle II is priced at $35.
Briefly: Google widgets