Spark your kids interest in science with this silly science lab!
Getting a kid interested in science isn't as easy as it used to be -- there aren't as many science-centric shows geared toward kids. No Bill Nyes, no Mister Wizards, and most edutainment has gone the way of the humanities. Sure, Sid the Science Kid is doing the best he can, but we think science needs a few more hard-hitters -- and while we certainly believe there's value in kids learning a second (or third, or fourth) language, and we would never discredit the importance of learning how to work well with others, we sometimes long for the day when kids were prodded and pushed toward baking soda volcanoes, and Alka-Seltzer rockets. Thankfully, Toca Boca has created Toca Lab, a delightfully scientific app designed for pint-sized chemists everywhere.
Psychological study in 2012 altered users' news feeds for positive or negative mental states
In a study to see if emotional states could be transferred to others online, Facebook conducted a psychological experiment in January 2012 with its users as guinea pigs. According a research paper published this month, feeds from over 689,000 English-language accounts were altered for either positive or negative states for one week to see if there was an impact on mental states.
What results say about phones or users remains unclear
While there have previously been studies that claimed that iPhone users were better-educated, more vain, more productive and generally richer than users on other platforms, a new study from UK betting agency Ladbrokes found that iPhone users did better overall when completing a test of seven mental exercises, with BlackBerry users doing the worst. Whether smarter people tend to pick iPhones, or iPhones make you smarter, remains an unanswered question.
MathType 6 equation editor
Design Science says its released a "major upgrade" to its professional equation editor that includes support for Mac OS X 10.5. Tex/LaTeX document preparation for high-quality typesetting. WIdely used in the academic and scientific communities, the app allows users to include mathematical notation in printed documents, presentations and web pages.
Train your brain on a Mac
After receiving "thousands of calls and e-mails from Mac users," Posit Science Corp. says its bringing its Brain FItness Classic program to the Mac. Developed by a team of more than 50 neuroscientists, Posit claims on average, users memory improves to that of a person 10 years younger. The software is also designed to promote "faster thinking" and "sharper focus."
- Montage 1.3 ($140) tool to create, edit, and manage screenplays on a
Macintosh. The new release adds Leopard support, the ability to export Montage scripts to Final Draft (.fdr), the ability to export Montage scripts to .sex format for interfacing with production scheduling applications like Gorilla, EP Scheduling and CompanyMOVE and localized support for French, Italian, German, and Spanish. [Download - form]
- FlightCheck Pro 6.1 ($500) preflighting solution for desktop publishing apps. FlightCheck v6.10 comprises numerous improvements and updates, including enhanced preflighting speed--up to four times faster than previous versions. The solution now recognizes QuarkXPress 7 files, and appropriately reports on font paths. In addition, improvements have been made to the software's PDF Ground Controls. And a new "Get More" button found in the Ground Controls pop-up menu, enables users to immediately access and download pre-defined Ground Controls based on output intentions and file specifications. [Download - form]
- MultitaskingAssistant 1.0.2 ($58) personal information manager (PIM) type of software that functions as a personal organizer of task specific information at the point of interruption. The MultitaskingAssistant's purpose is to facilitate in the recording, tracking, and management of personal information at the point the user gets interrupted during a task. A task, by definition, needs to be accomplished within a defined period of time, tasks get interrupted all the time, and multitasking is a necessity in today's busy world. The MultitaskingAssistant will always have the right information in the right place, in the right form, and of sufficient completeness and quality to quickly bring the user back up to speed on any of there interrupted tasks. [Download - 560K]
- miXscope 3.2.3 ($10) miXscope enables microscope and video camera users to take snapshots, create time-lapse movies, stop motion movies, or image sequences of the world around them. miXscope users can also add time stamps, text comments, image overlays, make measurements, add special effects, and/or draw on the live view images. This release improves the image quality for 60x and 200x magnification settings for the newer Digital Blue QX5 USB microscopes.[Download - 1.1MB]
- message2net 1.2.4 ($25) a universal binary application for SMS- and phonebook management. The new version is ready to work with Leopard and fixes some minor bugs. message2net allows to send, receive and manage SMS-messages on a Mac OS X computer using a connected mobile phone and supports advanced features like multipart-SMS, group-SMS and direct Address Book and SIM card access. [Download - 2.4MB]