Increasingly handy tool for renaming lots of files
This was not going to be a very praising review, and it was not going to be a recommendation -- but it it is becoming so. Namagic's first versions were not usable -- they simply did not work -- but Namagic 1.1 has fixed all the problems we found. It still has limitations and elements we're not keen on, but for us the question now is whether you need this type of application or not.
Convenient color coding for visual thinkers
Naturally, you have not filled your Mac's desktop with folders. You've done it with files. But from time to time, when you can't see anything any more, you make some temporary folders and move everything into there. Job done. Until you now have millions of folders and unlike files, folders all look identical. Not any more. Not if you buy Folder Color.
Use your iPhone to start downloads on your Mac
This is a bit like the Flash or no Flash business: either the fact that you can't download files to your iOS device enrages you or you're now trying to remember ever noticing. If you need a file, though, you need it (likely right now and Transloader is a good and clever workaround. It won't make your iPhone download anything, but it will get you that file.
Working together is quicker than ever with Dropbox
Dropbox is so handy and so universally-used that it's probably the case that either you already use it to share files, or you haven't yet had a need to. Dropbox has changed over the years, though, and the current ways of sharing large files and whole folders are better. They're easier. They're also faster, in that you can do much more sharing directly from the Finder on your Mac, and only rarely going to Dropbox.com to do anything.
- Resourcery 1.0 ($12) makes it possible to access all of your resources for all of your projects from one integrated window. It has a focused set of features designed to make it a project resource management solution that is simple to use with virtually no learning curve involved. Open it up and start using it right away to manage your projects and their resources. Add project items (information, reminders, tasks, etc.) to your projects. Attach any number of files, folders, applications, web links, and email addresses to any project and any item within a project. Keep notes on projects and each of their items. [Download - 5.1MB]
- EmailCampaign 1.0.2 ($100) email marketing software with no subscription fees. Version 1.0.2 fixes a Leopard related bug in the Bounce Handler that would
not extract bounces from a server, the Clipboard, a text file, Apple Mail,
Entourage and Power Mail. Sending your campaign to a large contact list will
almost always give you some bounces (returned mail) based on full mailboxes,
delivery timeouts and other reasons.
- Pandora 2.3 ($30) media collector's web spider and search agent for Mac OS X. Version 2.3 introduces support for a wide range of international text encodings in the pages in reads, giving users the ability to travel the world in their search for web-based media files. Pandora can simultaneously perform as many tasks as it's given. Multiple sessions can, at the same time, be performing searches, URL scrapes, or even running through folders on your hard drive, via "Open..." in the "File" menu. [Download - 2.1MB]
- Dragoman 1.1 ($40) a universal batch file converter for Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard. Designed to improve productivity and efficiency, Dragoman allows users to convert images, photos, music files and archive files with a drag and drop interface. On popular demand the new release adds support for raw digital camera formats of Canon, Kodak, Sony, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji cameras, as well as for Adobe's Digital Negative and Photo CD format. [Download - 19.3MB]
- Tidy Up! 1.4.2 ($30) search for duplicate files and packages; by the owner application, content, type, creator, extension, date modified, date created, name, label, visibility and more. You can also search by the tag, duration and bit rate of MP3s and AACs audifiles, search the content of the iTunes, iPod and iPhotdatabases, search the messages of Mail and synchronize deletions with iTunes, iPhotand Mail. The new release adds compatibility with compatibility with iTunes 7.6.2, iPhoto 7.1.3 and other applications. [Download - 8.4MB]
Chipmunk file comparison
German developer Ruotger Skupin today unveiled Chipmunk 1.0, an application designed to find, compare, and delete exact duplicate files. The application performs a byte-by-byte comparison of the suspected duplicates to verify whether it is a true duplicate. Skupin claims that Chipmunk is quickly able to process hundreds of megabytes worth of information quickly. Chipmunk is currently available at an Easter discount of $20, and is normally $25.