Needs more time to review and approve, but 'pleading cycle' remains unaffected
In spite of Comcast CEO Brian Roberts' assertions earlier this month that the merger with Time Warner Cable (TWC) is going along smoothly, the FCC has paused the informal 180-day clock on its investigation into the merger, due to a total of roughly 38,000 documents submitted by TWC beyond its deadline, and after the FCC had believed it was finished with that part of its investigation into the merger.
Open and save documents faster with a utility that remembers where you go
If Apple has its way, then one day we will never save another document -- and we will never think about where it went. It will just be there when we want to open it again. That's nice. Until then, we open and save documents nearly as often as we check Facebook. Which makes it a shame that OS X rather fights us. You can open a document from this folder on that network drive and you can then save it on that folder on this USB stick, but it is a pain. Not much of a pain, let's not get carried away here, but try doing it twice and see how you feel. That's where Default Folder X comes in.
Parties agree to waive confidentiality agreements, but some documents remained hidden
The judge in the bankruptcy case involving GT Advanced Technologies and its chief client Apple ordered more documents unsealed and made public in the proceeding on Tuesday. Both Apple and GT Advanced came to an agreement regarding the papers that waived the confidentiality conditions of the two companies' original contracts, allowing GT Advanced to drop its objections to making the documents public. A statement made by GT Advanced officials detailing the firm's agreement with Apple is among the papers that will be made public.
Workshare adds Scribble, for identifiable note-making on docs
Document management app WorkShare Mobile for iOS has announced its latest update. Featuring a new 'Scribble' function, users can leave notes on documents with distinctive pen style and colors, to help with making clear who has left each annotation.
Software has excellent database, poor OCR
MacNN has reviewed the latest update to Neat's scanning software, NeatWorks for Mac 3.0. The suite scans receipts, business cards and full-sized documents, using intelligent optical character recognition (OCR) to append metadata to the scanned files. The software has a database for tracking trends and printing reports -- Version 3.0 adds tax categories for the U.S. and Canada, with support for individual tax forms. The company has also added Quick Look integration and workflow improvements, such as keyboard shortcuts, blank page removal, better speed, and an improved report interface.
PDF converter recognizes forms, formatting, tables
Solid Documents has launched Solid PDF to Word for Mac. The PDF converter arrives on the Mac platform with the ability to export to formats compatible with Word, Excel, Pages, HTML and text, giving a user numerous choices when editing a PDF document is necessary. The converter recognizes headers and footers, retains formatting, recovers tables and recognizes hyperlinks. It can also recover rotated text and recognize and reconstruct PDF forms.
NetNewsWire for iPad features complete redesign
In the wake of the iPad launch Saturday new apps are arriving quickly -- today the iPad gets an RSS feed reader, NetNewsWire for iPad, a document reader, GoodReader and a research-paper reader, Papers for iPad. NewsGator launched its NetNewsWire App for iPad with a re-engineered design, taking advantage of the iPad's larger screen and faster processor. The utility enables users to capture blog posts, podcasts and other web content.A new split-screen view shows subscriptions on one side, and articles and web pages on the opposite side. It is now available on the App Store for $10.
New database engine keeps files in original format
DEVONtechnologies has released updates to its information manager and note-taking software, launching DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.0. DEVONthink manages documents, messages, notes and bookmarks, while allowing users to annotate PDFs and cross-references documents to track relationships between them. DEVONnote can be used to write notes in plain or rich text and clip data from documents and web pages. It provides options for searching or finding similar items, while integrating a web browser within the interface.
New version has auto filing, updated interface
Ironic Software has released an update to its document management software, Yep 2.0. The utility provides document organization tools geared for small businesses and individuals. Users can also create new documents by simply dragging text into the interface. Yep supports tagging and works independently of a database, using the Mac's Spotlight, Quick Look and Time Machine technologies to track documents regardless of their specific location.
ExactScan 2 Pro ships
ExactCODE GmbH has released ExactScan 2 Pro, adding a professional version of its ExactScan 2 software for scanning or converting documents to PDF files. ExactScan's professional version adds optical character recognition (OCR) and barcode scanning, and can produce searchable PDF files, in addition to standard PDF and Tiff files. The pro version can also handle multi-page PDFs. The latest version of both pro and standard ExactScan, v2.7, can autoscan on paper placement, automatically crops on flatbed source and realigns paper sizes on source changes.
- Scorecard 1.3 ($30) golf scorecard and statistics application for Mac OS X. Offers comprehensive statistics, helping users discover trends and explore aspects of their gameplay that might otherwise go unnoticed. Scorecard 1.3 gives golfers further insight into their problems areas with the new Best vs Worst statistics. Best vs Worst presents a comparison of key performance indicators which allow the golfer to quickly and easily see what part of their game went wrong when they didn't perform well. They can then focus on improving that portion of their game to improve their overall game play. [Download - 1.2MB]
- Keyboard Maestro 3.1 ($20) set of macros through which you can control applications, windows, or menus; insert text; open documents, applications or URLs; execute scripts and more. The Program Switcher lets you cycle through applications or windows, closing, hiding, launching, and performing other functions. This release adds many new clipboard features including persistent clipboard history via the new Clipboard History Switcher (command-control-shift-V by default), actions to set or save the clipboard, actions to filter the clipboard to apply BBEdit Text Factories to the clipboard, and support for moving and resizing and keeping open the various Clipboard Switchers. [Download - 5.6MB]
- DiscLabel 5.2.2 ($36) CD/DVD label design software for Mac OS X. It can import track lists from iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, Finder, and Toast; import images from iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD and Finder; multiple layers, drawing tools and gradients for creating custom
designs; use more than 1300 clip art files via the DiscLabel Clip Art Browser and more. The update features various bug fixes. [Download - 12.6MB]
- fennel DVDManager 1.7.5 (53) (free) supports the latest version of Amazon Web Services to help you manage the workflow of your DVD library. This new version brings a clean, modernized new look to better match Leopard's theme, and includes support for the iTunes-like ranking mechanism. Compatible with Tiger and Leopard, it is available in 12 localizations, and features a software update mechanism so that you always use the latest version. [Download - [1.9 MB]
- License Keeper 1.4 ($20) stores and organizes important software license information, helping to prevent the loss of valuable software assets and making it accessible when needed most. Automatic serial number scanning and software information detection greatly reduces cumbersome data entry. Attachments keep related email and documents safely archived along with license and registration records. The new release will import registration data from spreadsheet compatible text files in the common Tab Delimited and Comma Separated formats. [Download - 1.8MB]
Nisus Writer Pro 1.
Nisus Software has announced the upcoming release of Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 Preview, the latest version of the company's alternative word processor. This release adds several new features including Comments, Mail Merge, Go to Page, and more. Also added is a Large Caret option, as well as several additions and enhancements to the Nisus Macro Language. Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 will be available later this Spring for only $80. A CD version is available for an additional $10. A three license Family Pack is available for $100. Nisus Writer Pro uses the same core as Nisus Writer Express, but sports several additional or expanded features including a Table of Contents generator, indexing, bookmarks. There's also attribute sensitive search, that allows you to locate items in documents based on their formatting.
- Domainer 1.6 ($40) an application for web site owners, marketers and investors track and manage their domain names. RAGE Domainer allows web site owners to centralize domain details, as well as those of their competitors, with one easy tuse application. Domainer also provides an overview of a domain's value through various popularity measures including Google PageRank, AlexaRank, incoming back links, and social tags.This free update allows exporting and printing of Domain details to provide a quick overview of domain information and popularity for clients or personal use. [Download - 10.8MB]
- Vvidget 10.5.2 ($190) used to automate graphs for desktop applications, dashboard widgets and web sites. The new release includes support for Quick Look: All data visualization documents made with Vvidget Builder are now browsable through the Mac OS X Finder, including Cover Flow, List and Icon views. This gives immediate access using familiar Finder controls and enables a powerful instant-on data browsing tool. [Download - form]
- Code Collector Pro 1.0 ($30) application for storing code snippets. Key features include Smart Groups: Helps users keep their snippets organized; Snippet Sharing: Snippets can be exported to single files to be shared with other Code Collector users; Customizable Syntax Coloring: Snippets are colored depending on their language; TextMate Bundle Support: Expand the syntax coloring and language support by adding TextMate Bundles. New in version 1.2 is integration with CodeCollector.net for sharing snippets online, an improved source list, snippet locking and enhanced drag and drop support. [Download - 2.5MB]
- Art Files 1.3 ($50) a stand-alone application that takes the tedious task of collecting Illustrator documents, linked images and fonts for graphics files and turns it into a simple point and click operation. Art Files focuses on gathering just the information you need to get your files packaged up for your service provider. This update improves the speed and stability of packaging all Illustrator CS3 files. The result is a massive speed benefit, repeatedly saving time whenever you collect or archive a file. In addition, Art Files now allows you to "re-link" multiple files in the same directory, handles auto-naming of single-file collections, supports custom naming of folders and more. [Download - 1MB]
- EvoCam 3.6.2 ($30) webcam software for Mac OS X. Use EvoCam to publish a webcam with streaming video, view and record video from network cameras and video servers, create timelapse movies, or use it as part of your home security system with its configurable motion sensors. EvoCam 3.6.2 adds support for more network cameras, and fixes several bugs affecting application stability. [Download - 1MB]
GGT Enterprises has announced the release of ReceiptWallet 2.0, an upgrade to the company's receipt and document management application for Mac OS X. This release adds new features for cataloging non-receipt documents, an updated interface, support for on-the-road document scanning via Apple's iSight camera and the ability to organize documents into multiple libraries that can be tracked separately. With ReceiptWallet, paper receipts and documents can be scanned from any TWAIN-compatible scanner. Web or email-based receipts can be saved as PDF files from any Mac application and automatically sent to ReceiptWallet using the Print command. In addition, ReceiptWallet has support for the popular Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner.
Apple pulls Air docs
A host of informative documentation regarding the MacBook Air has been pulled from Apple's support site, including those that relate to wireless performance tips for the ultra-portable. Formerly, Apple posted documents that outlined several recommendations for an optimal computing experience, such as a reduction in wireless reliability when using the laptop in closed-lid mode. Macworld UK has collected a list of these recommendations, in lieu of their presence on Apple's support page.