Reference app does much more than iOS's built-in definition function
Pocket dictionaries are actually pretty useful, when you think about it. Sometimes you run across a word in conversation or in an article that you don't recognize, and being able to define it on the fly makes your life much easier. Maybe you're a writer and suffer from same-word-syndrome, where you repeatedly use the same descriptor over and over. A pocket dictionary can help break the cycle by suggesting synonyms. Enter Terminology 3, a dictionary app that offers more than the standard definition function in iOS. The program includes a full, completely-offline US English dictionary, thesaurus and word reference that allows you to find definitions, synonyms, and antonyms whenever the need strikes.
Restored support for Trust, Thunderbird
TranslateIt! for Mac, a tool that can translate and define text on-the-fly in all Cocoa-based Mac apps, has been reworked into a new version, called i3, that offers a new dictionary format, new text translation tool, adds a number of European localizations, improves the suggestions search engine, adds F-Script support and restores support for Thunderbird and Trust, among other improvements.
Device merges e-dictionary with MID functionality
iRiver has announced a new e-dictionary, the D1000, which integrates features found in many MIDs or media players. Aside from the dictionary functionality, the device offers Wi-Fi connectivity, web browsing, and 720p video playback. Supported files include documents, pictures and audio, along with video formats such as MKV and T-DMB.
Apimac dictionaries translate to Spanish, Italian
Apimac has introduced a new line of translation dictionaries for the iPhone and iPod touch. The Apimac apps come in three different versions, English - German, English - Spanish, and English – Italian. Each app provides necessary tools for searching both words and phrases, while delivering an up-to-date dictionary with grammatical notes and a phrase book holding thousands of English phrases and translations.
Oxford dictionaries ship
Paragon Software has launched several dictionaries for Mac OS X including the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Eleventh Edition; the Concise Oxford Thesaurus; the Oxford Russian Dictionary; and the Oxford German Dictionary, Third Edition. Sound modules are provided for over 20,000 words, allowing users to hear pronunciations from English, Spanish, German, French and Italian native speakers.
AttendeesAlerter 1.3 ($15) is a utility that can send reminder e-mails to contacts listed within an iCal event. The application periodically checks through a user's iCal events, searches for assigned contacts and sends a reminder e-mail using Apple's Mail application. The update includes a fix for a minor bug. [Download - 5.4MB]
KeyBag 1.2 ($50) is designed to record every keystroke entered. The program can keep track of opened applications, conversations, and any keys pressed in the applications. Version 1.2 can export logged results to either the CSV, TXT or HTML file formats and has also been updated with a few bug fixes and overall stability enhancements. [Download - 4.5MB]
Keep Your Word, EasyBatch
OnMyCommand 2.1 (free) is the latest version of Abracode's "contextual menu command line instruction executor" for Mac OS X. Users can add their favorite commands to a master list, and execute them via a universal contextual menu at any time. Version 2.1 features a new progress dialog which allows users to translate command output text into GUI progress and also features support for my controls in custom Cocoa dialogs. Support for PowerPC G3 has been added again after being lost in version 2.0. [Download - 5MB]
TranslateIt! 9.7 update
RealSofts.com has updated TranslateIt! for Mac to v9.7, adding hover support, full text translation and new dictionaries. Hover support will allow users to translate a word by moving the pointer over an unfamiliar word (in any Cocoa application), with the translation in a pop-up window. Version 9.7 also adds morphology support, a multilingual user interface and custom dictionary building capabilities.
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 3.1.1 ($15) video editing and production application. The new release includes Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard) compatibility updates and important bug fixes. It is highly recommended for all Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 users. Requires Mac OS X v10.4.9–10.5 (Leopard), 1GB of RAM for DV; 2GB of RAM for HDV and HD, and 10GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation). [Download - 54MB]
- Jisho 2.2 ($15) Japanese-English dictionary. Jisho 2.2 brings improved zooming functionality allowing an infinite amount zoom into characters, results sorting, and other enhancements. Among the enhancements to Jisho 2.2 beyond infinite zoom and results sorting include a new 512x512 Leopard friendly icon, an updated eSellerate framework, and including searches done via the service to the search history. [Download - 26.1MB]
- HelpRunner 1.0 (free) module that enables REALbasic developers to easily implement native support for Apple Help (on Mac OS X) and Microsoft HTML Help (CHM on Windows) in REALbasic applications. In Mac OS X Bundle apps, HelpRunner provides easy-to-use methods for registering an Apple Help Book and opening an Apple Help Book in Mac OS X's native Help Viewer. [Download - 472KB]
- MercuryMover 1.0 ($20) keyboard controlled, Window moving and resizing utility for Mac OS X. At its most basic, MercuryMover enables anyone to easily and conveniently move and/or resize the frontmost window, directly from the keyboard. Incredibly simple and straightforward, power users who like to keep their fingers on the keyboard and off of the mouse, have been waiting for MercuryMover. [Download - 824KB]
- Norrkross Movie 1.1 ($60) video editing application for creative amateurs. Easily arrange sequences of video clips, still images and sound layers, allows real time, non-destructive video effects and unlimited layers with transparency compositing. This update focuses on user interface improvements. It has a beautiful new open format multi-track timeline, improved video export and lots of tweaks and fixes to make video editing smooth. [Download - 6.6MB]