Digital greeting card software features over 5100 graphics
Chronos today announced its release of its greeting card creation software, Greeting Card Shop. The program allows users to create, mail and digitally share cards and invitations on OS X. Greeting Card Shop's features include support for double-sided cards and invitations; single, double and tri-folding compatibility; and support for multiple cards or invitations per page. Panels can be edited singularly, or as multiples -- which assists with editing graphics that traverse more than one panel.
A-DATA CompactFlash card
A-DATA technologies has introduced the 'Turbo Series CF 350X', touted as the world's fastest CompactFlash card. Aimed at professional photographers and digital imaging professionals, the card offers peak 52MB/sec read and 47MB/sec write speeds, and comes in both 8GB and 16GB sizes. The card's speedy transfer rates are made possibly by utilizing the dual-channel UDMA 0-5 and MDMA 0-4 modes of high level digital cameras and only ussing original SLC (single level cell) flash memory. Priced at $80 for the 8GB card, and $210 for the 16GB version, both are shipping immediately.
Sprint 5GB data limit
A Sprint employee has allegedly posted an internal memo on SprintUsers citing that the telecommunications giant is imposing a 5GB bandwidth limit on transfer, or 300MB per month in off-network roaming. According to the employee, the limits would see service on July 13th, and would apply to both PAM and data card plans. The note seems to indicate that Vision and PowerVision packages would still retain their respective limits, unsusceptible to the 5GB limit.
The long-awaited NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT upgrade for Mac Pros has been released. The graphics card features 512MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory, uses the PCI Express interface, and includes two dual-link DVI ports, and is capable of driving up to two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays. It requires a Mac Pro (bus speed 1.33GHz) with PCI-Express. The card is priced at $280 and can be purchased as a standalone, user-installable item or as a build-to-order option for Early 2008 Mac Pros through the online Apple Store. Controversy ensued when Apple introduced this upgrade card as an option available exclusively to newly purchased Mac Pros in January. At the time, users presented research that shows the cards should be backwards compatible. Apple is now making the kit available, in supported fashion, to all Mac Pros with a bus speed for at least 1.33GHz.
Hoyle Card Games download
Macgamestore.com today announced the availability of Hoyle Card Games as a digital download, a collection of over 150 games developed by Encore Software. Previously available only as a boxed version, the digital download allows users to create a custom avatar and play against others or the computer in Texas Hold'em, Hearts, Bridge, and Crazy Eights, among others. Hoyle Card Games is currently available for $20, and is 780MB in size.
- CardRaider 2.0.2 ($20) utility for recovering photos and movies from digital camera memory cards. Recovered images can be sent directly to iPhoto. It can even find photos and movies on damaged or reformatted media cards that don't show up in the Finder. In addition to JPEG files, CardRaider will detect and recover professional "raw" formats, as well as MPEG, AVI, and QuickTime Movie files.The new version adds support for recovering additional pro formats including Hasselblad H3D (3FR), Epson Raw (ERF), Leica Raw, and Mimiya Raw (MEF). It also fixes an issue with recovering some Kodak Raw (KDC) formats. [Download - 2MB]
- NetFinder 3.1 ($25) website and general file management and automation tool for remote servers and local files. It supports a number of protocols including FTP, FTP SSL/TLS, SFTP, WebDAV to name a few. QuickLook support for viewing files in NetFinder. Hit the space key to toggle. 10.5 only. [Download - 8.1MB]
- MacLoggerDX 4.3.4 ($95) logs into your favorite Telnet or TNC DXCluster and as DX Spots are received, tunes your radio to the spot, looks up the call and displays the DX station on the real time grey line Map with distance and bearing from your station. The new release adds a Kenwood TS-60 Driver and Icom IC-718 S-Meter, Audio and Squelch support.[Download - 12.8MB]
- Colorspace 1.9 ($30) universal color picker for web developers and designers. The application can be hidden in the task bar (requires Java 1.6) and lets you pick colors from anywhere on your screen. The new release has a context.js script rewrite, tray icon responds to single click (requires Java 1.6), some changes to the shutdown system, Mac OS X Quit no longer cancels system restart. [Download - 4.8MB]
- DX Toolbox 3.3.0 ($25) radio propagation / conditions analysis and forecasting tool for amateur radio operators, shortwave listeners, and other radio enthusiasts. This version adds: HTTP Proxy support for those behind a firewall, a graph of the Planetary Kp Index. Can now copy the Grayline map to the clipboard. Automatic setting of the UTC offset. Updated for the new Space Environment Center URL which affects data for the Proton and Electron Flux graphs. [Download - 5MB]
Themed iTunes cards
Apple is expanding its iTunes compilation card collection, offering themed collections through Best Buy, and supposedly other locations as well. iLounge reports that the cards are available in 15- and 30-song versions, offering bundles such as "Classic Rock Hits", "80's Super Hits", "Love Song Classics", and "R&B Hits", among others. The compilation cards are available from $10 to $20 for the 15- and 30-song versions, at a price of 67ó per track.
iPhoto 7.1.3 fixes books
Apple today unveiled iPhoto 7.1.3, an update to its photo organization, editing, and printing application, introducing several fixes. Unfortunately, details on the update are very scarce, saying little more than "this update addresses issues with wire-bound books and cards." The update for iPhoto 7.1.3 is available both through the Apple support downloads website and through the Software Update application, located underneath the Apple Menu.
Stanford Lively Arts cards
Stanford University is teaming up with iTunes to provide Lively Arts gift cards, a sampler card that offers attendees to the Lively Arts events 10 free downloads of featured artists. The iTunes sampler card will be given out from January 25th until March 15th at the various events, and will also be available to users through various campus services. Students who can't attend the Lively Arts events can pick up a complimentary card at the Stanford Bookstoor, Tresidder Express, Track House Sport Shop, The Stanford Shop, and The Bookshop at the Cantor Art Center.
Enhance 4/8-drive storage
Enhance Technology has unveiled the new EnhanceBOX E4 MS and E8 MS series external host card (HBA) dependent desktop SAS/SATA storage arrays. The new storage devices offer support for high capacity SAS and SATA I/II 3Gbps hard drives using the latest Mini-SAS SFF-8088 connectivity, and depending on the host cards are configurable as JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) or RAID to sustain data transfer rates of up to 500MB/sec. The EnhanceBOX E4 MS is priced at $375, while the EnhanceBOX E8 MS is available for $650.
Two new iPhone unlocks?
Two new apparent unlocking solutions for Apple's iPhone firmware v1.1.2 have surfaced, allowing owners of the cellular handset to sign up for wireless service with carriers other than Apple's exclusive partners. The new techniques, dubbed SonicSIM and StealthSIM, both claim to unlock iPhone v1.1.2 for use with all wireless carriers that use the same technology as Apple's cellphone. SonicSIM is a special card rumored to partially unlock the iPhone by tricking the device and dual booting operating systems, while StealthSIM is a similar card produced by a company hoping to sell the solution for $90 on eBay.
AKVIS Frame Suite 2.6
AKVIS has released AKVIS Frame Suite 2.6 for Mac and Windows systems. AKVIS Frame Suite enables users to apply frames and edge effects to pictures, simplifying the process of creating greeting cards from personal photos. The latest revision adds new Christmas decorations to the pattern library, joining the 12 edge effects to provide a vast number of photo frame possibilities. AKVIS Frame Suite 2.6 is available for $50, and requires a G3 or better Mac. The software is also compatible with Mac OS X Leopard.
HighPoint Technologies has updated the RocketRAID 3520 based on the IntelR IOP341 I/O Processor to support Power Mac G5 and Mac Pro systems with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard). The RocketRAID 3520 is an x8 PCI-Express 8 port RAID controller. The IntelR IOP341 I/O processor incorporates an Intel XScaleR processor, which provides open, full-function IOP based RAID, including enhanced hardware acceleration for the RAID 5 and RAID 6 feature sets to deliver maximum throughput speeds of over 600MB/s for Read/Write operation. The RocketRAID 3520 connects up to 8 internal SATA hard drives and supports RAID levels (0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and JBOD).