Tag - SingTel
To coincide with Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 event going on today, LG has shown off two of its Optimus 7-series smartphones. First up is the Quantum, which was just confirmed for AT&T and will be known as the Optimus 7Q in non-US markets. The other is the Optimus 7 and has now been confirmed to arrive at Telus in Canada, America Movil in Mexico, Movistar and Vodafone in Europe and SingTel in Singapore.
The Samsung Galaxy S smartphone will be released in 110 countries at the same time, according to claims from Korea. The device has not yet been given an official release date, however, though was expected to arrive in Asia in June. Samsung has made deals with many providers to sell its new handset, including Orange, SingTel and T-Mobile USA, among others.
M1 and StarHub will join SingTel in carrying the iPhone on December 9th, the first two companies have announced. M1 is offering four different plans, priced between $36 and $198 SGD ($25 to $142 US) per month. Paired with a two-year, $36 per month contract, a 16GB iPhone 3GS costs $518, while a 32GB model costs $658. Under the most expensive plan, any iPhone is free.
Despite claims to the contrary, Apple's iPhone is ultimately hurting the carriers that have picked it up, a Strand Consult study says. The analyst group maintains that "not one" provider offering the iPhone has seen a financial or market share boost since adding it to their rosters. In many cases, these companies have either seen reduced profit from the heavy subsidies needed for the iPhone or haven't seen the surge in data revenues they expected from customers moving to more expensive smartphone plans.
The Australian government today set out to improve the country's Internet access by unveiling a plan to roll out a nationwide, fiber-to-the-home Internet service. The network would provide 100Mbps access to about 90 percent of the country's population and would reach the remaining 10 percent through long-range wireless. Completing the network will take about 8 years and a cost of as much as $43 billion AUD ($30.6 billion US) over that period.
HTC will begin shipping the Android-powered HTC Dream handset to wireless provider SingTel which will offer it to subscribers in Singapore. In Australia, the phone will be sold by Optus, a carrier owned by SingTel. The first Android handset in either region, the Dream is identical to the T-Mobile G1 currently available in North America and therefore represents the G1's first official launch in a market other than the US and UK.
SingTel, distributing the iPhone in Singapore, Australia, the Philippines and India, has been hit by reduced profits due to subsidizing the device, affecting Singapore figures by $18 million, and Australian figures by $30.8 million. The company believes that early reductions will pay off over the long term, as iPhone subscriptions expand and incorporate higher-value data plans. According to mocoNews, SingTel is reporting early signs that the average revenue per user (ARPU) for the iPhone is 1.5 times as high as that for the overall postpaid subscriber base, indicating a larger profit opportunity going forward.
Singaporean carrier SingTel has confirmed its pricing plans for the iPhone 3G, launching August 22nd. Customers looking to purchase the phone will be able to pick between seven different plans, which are broken down into two categories: iFlexi and SingTel. The iFlexi plans range from $56 to $205 a month, and come pre-bundled with data plans offering up to 3GB; the data options are, however, only available until September 5th. The SingTel plans range from $26 to $193 a month, but require people to add data separately, for instance through the BroadBand on Mobile Plus package which gives users 500MB of data a month for $20. Overage charges are $0.0019 per kilobyte, roughly equal to $2 per megabyte.
Confirming earlier reports, Singaporean carrier SingTel has announced that the iPhone 3G will ship to the city-state on August 22nd. The company does not so far have any pricing, whether for phones or subscriptions, but 8 and 16GB models will be available in black or white colors -- as in the United States -- and contact migration tips are now available, as is a reservation service. Apple has posted an official Singapore website with a guided tour.
Singapore may be another one of the countries set to receive the iPhone 3G on August 22, according to a new report. Late in July Apple said that the iPhone 3G would be released in 20 more countries on August 22 and up to this point 17 countries have been confirmed. A SingTel spokesman has reiterated a statement, first made in June, that SingTel will bring the iPhone 3G to Singapore by the end of the year and the report claims that it has been "seriously looking at launching the iPhone at the end of August or early September." If true it would seem logical for SingTel to launch on August 22 along side other releases.