New ranking types and customization options
Bebosoft has launched Mediata Survey 3.0, an update to its application for creating and analyzing web-based surveys. Mediata Survey enables users to develop multi-page surveys using a variety of different question and answers, as well as to host and analyze the online surveys. With the latest release a variety of new features have been introduced, including the ability to now list questions with an index number, and to apply style-effects to text in both questions and pages.
New Quick Look support for Snow Leopard
RAGE Software has launched a new version of its intergrated file browser and file management tool, Macintosh Explorer 5.0. The software provides users with an alternative for browsing their hard drives, and features filtering based file browsing and tabbed file browsing tools. New to the program is additional support for the Snow Leopard operating system, along with an enhanced user interface, and improved file browsing.
Customizable permissions for groups and users
SplashData has unveiled a new Enterprise Edition of SplashID, its secure password management utility. The software is designed to enable IT managers to control the administration of password and security policies, across multiple platforms. Major features include a built-in administrative control panel, and customizable permissions for both groups and individual users. A centralized secure database is used to store all sorts of information ranging from documents to passwords, and provides multiple layers of encryption including 256-bit AES.
Verilog Hardware Description Language sumulator
Pragmatic C Software has launched a new Mac OS X version of its Verilog Hardware Description Language (HDL) simulator, CVC. The software works as a full IEEE 1354-2005 32-bit and 64-bit native-code compiled Verilog simulator that can also run in interpreted mode, and enables engineers to develop Verilog designs. In addition to the new compatibility, various improvements have also been made to the program, such as speed enhancements for the native code compiler.
Share media between Mac and mobile devices
Dazzboard has introduced a new universal media manager webtop for the Mac, which includes a wide range of video and music management tools. Originally designed for iTunes compatibility on Windows, the new Mac version allows users with various mobile devices to move content between the Mac and other portable devices. Features include drag-and-drop support for managing and transferring media, along with compatibility for social media networks such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Flickr.
Add drawings to journals
Coding Robots has launched a major upgrade to its personal-journal utility for the Mac, Memories 3.0. The software can be used to create multiple journals combined with images, and includes an integrated calendar and search option. With the latest release a new Quick Drawing feature has been added, along with support for full-screen editing. New printing options allow users to print single or multiple journal entries for a specific period of time, and provide support for automatically inserting dates and titles.
Optimized for Snow Leopard
Intego has announced Washing Machine 2, an upgrade to its file cleanup software for web browsers. The app is designed to help protect the user’s privacy by removing cache and cookies from applications that access the internet, as well as prevent slow internet browsing due to too many stored files. Washing Machine 2 has been optimized for use with the Snow Leopard operating system, and allows users to clean up five different types of items including bookmarks, caches, cookies, download histories and browsing histories.
Assign actions to various key combinations
Purple Ghost Software has launched Key Ace, a new hotkey utility that allows users to assign actions to various key combinations. Users can configure shortcuts for daily tasks such as opening browsers or controlling play, pause and stop functions on iTunes.
PhotoTools 2.5 Free Edition contains 20 effects
onOne has launched new free versions of its PhotoTools 2.5 and PhotoFrame 4.5 plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop. PhotoTools is an image enhancement plug-in that delivers over 300 different photo altering effects. The Free Edition is based on the standard version of the software with a few less features included. It provides 15 of the most popular effects such as Bleach Bypass and Cross Process which are used to generate classic photographic effects, as well as tools for automatic skin smoothing.
Security options added for exporting PDF files
Mode de Vie Limited has unveiled a new version of its Mac-based mind-mapping software, MyThoughts 1.1. The software allows users to create detailed brainstorming maps using a variety of text and images. New features found in v1.1 include improvements to the Auto Branch layout, expandable and collapsible branches, and a new function for panning large mind-maps. Additionally, the upgrade also provides a variety of exporting improvements and printing options.
Sesamouse imitates real multi-touch gestures
Calf Trail Software has announced Sesamouse, a new utility designed to extend the gesture capabilities of the Magic Mouse. The software works by imitating multi-touch trackpad gestures, enabling control over the rotation and zoom functions in gesture-capable apps. The utility also adds vertical swipe recognition, while supplying more advanced multi-touch programs with information regarding the positioning of each finger on the mouse surface.
New directory for finding groups
Panic has announced a new version of its Usenet reader, Unison 2. The app provides Usenet users with an interface for reading messages, browsing content, downloading files, or managing data from the Usenet server. The latest version offers a redesigned interface, complete with a new directory for finding groups and customizable per-group settings.
Re-designed interface with new features
AppZapper.com has launched a major upgrade to its software-removal application; it has been optimized for Mac OS X Snow Leopard OS. AppZapper 2.0 features a re-designed user-interface, but still offers the drag and drop functionality provided in the original version. A new “Hit List” function is used for removing unwanted applications and allows users to visually search and scroll through all the apps on their computer.
Record video with QuickTime compatible devices
GroupSmarts has announced a major upgrade to its Mac-based digital storytelling utility, MemoryMiner 2.0. The app allows users to create digital stores which link audio, video, pictures or other media. Version 2 offers a new Maplines view, support for Reverse Geocoding, and a new Ken Burns-style pan and zoom effect available through every selection marker. Support is also offered for recording video or audio annotations with QuickTime=compatible devices or the integrated iSight camera.
- Resourcery 1.0 ($12) makes it possible to access all of your resources for all of your projects from one integrated window. It has a focused set of features designed to make it a project resource management solution that is simple to use with virtually no learning curve involved. Open it up and start using it right away to manage your projects and their resources. Add project items (information, reminders, tasks, etc.) to your projects. Attach any number of files, folders, applications, web links, and email addresses to any project and any item within a project. Keep notes on projects and each of their items. [Download - 5.1MB]
- EmailCampaign 1.0.2 ($100) email marketing software with no subscription fees. Version 1.0.2 fixes a Leopard related bug in the Bounce Handler that would
not extract bounces from a server, the Clipboard, a text file, Apple Mail,
Entourage and Power Mail. Sending your campaign to a large contact list will
almost always give you some bounces (returned mail) based on full mailboxes,
delivery timeouts and other reasons.
- Pandora 2.3 ($30) media collector's web spider and search agent for Mac OS X. Version 2.3 introduces support for a wide range of international text encodings in the pages in reads, giving users the ability to travel the world in their search for web-based media files. Pandora can simultaneously perform as many tasks as it's given. Multiple sessions can, at the same time, be performing searches, URL scrapes, or even running through folders on your hard drive, via "Open..." in the "File" menu. [Download - 2.1MB]
- Dragoman 1.1 ($40) a universal batch file converter for Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard. Designed to improve productivity and efficiency, Dragoman allows users to convert images, photos, music files and archive files with a drag and drop interface. On popular demand the new release adds support for raw digital camera formats of Canon, Kodak, Sony, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji cameras, as well as for Adobe's Digital Negative and Photo CD format. [Download - 19.3MB]
- Tidy Up! 1.4.2 ($30) search for duplicate files and packages; by the owner application, content, type, creator, extension, date modified, date created, name, label, visibility and more. You can also search by the tag, duration and bit rate of MP3s and AACs audifiles, search the content of the iTunes, iPod and iPhotdatabases, search the messages of Mail and synchronize deletions with iTunes, iPhotand Mail. The new release adds compatibility with compatibility with iTunes 7.6.2, iPhoto 7.1.3 and other applications. [Download - 8.4MB]
- HierarchicalDock 1.1 (donationware) an application which allows for hierarchical menus for folders in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)'s Dock. New in this version is the use of QuickLook previews for files instead of file icons (optional) and two new sorting-modes (by "last used date" and "creation date", additionally to alphabetical sorting). Alias files are now resolved, too. Many bugs have been fixed as well, like the change in the screen's brightness when clicking on a folder.[Download - 1.5MB]
- Bin-it 1.5 ($13) desktop trash can utility for Mac OS X. The update adds Leopard compatibility, a new preferences window interface and more options for the text label. Bin-it 1.5 provides quick and easy access to the Mac OS X Trash. It includes a floating trash can on your desktop (instead of the Trash being hidden in the Dock), a Trash Level Display and many adjustable options for trash themes, sounds, sizes, opacity and more. [Download - 1.7MB]
- CoverSutra 1.2 ($22) a way to control iTunes without having to leave the currently active application. CoverSutra does this through the use of global keyboard shortcuts, information bezels and a transparent floating window. In addition, CoverSutra has integrated support for Last.fm, the popular social music recommendation service. This new version enables users to now choose from three different cover styles including a retro vinyl record style. The player controls window has also been redesigned with a more slick and compact UI. [Download - 2.4MB]
- OnMyCommand 1.9 (free) UNIX shell script and AppleScript executor. It allows users to build their own contextual menu items or GUI applications. The new release includes fixes for full Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility, an option to customize the shell executed by popen, and an environment variable export for open-based execution modes. It also has support for piping of context information to command. [Download - 8MB]
- BlogAssist 2.1.2 ($10) tool to help weblog and website editing by making HTML markup easier. BlogAssist adds a small menu to the right-hand side of the menubar in all applications. You can simply select and copy some text into the clipboard, choose a suitable operation from the menu, then paste the result in the desired location.This update adds German localization, updates the French localization, and other changes. [Download - 2MB]
WebDesign, Syncro SVN
- Desktop Carousel 3.1 (free) a Mac OS X application that can change or update your desktop picture at specified intervals. It is intended to work with high quality webcam images. The new release is optimized for Leopard, has an option to convert pictures to 'Blue tone', 'Grey tone' or 'Sepia tone'. (default setting is to convert to Sepia), remote picture lists, 'Save' and 'Mail' the current desktop picture, and AppleScript support. [Download - 1.6MB]
- MacPractice 3.1 (price varies on app) Mac practice management and clinical software applications. The new release requires MySQL 5 and provides Leopard and Tiger compatibility, reducing the cost of implementation for existing Mac users. All new purchasers of MacPractice will receive the new version. MacPractice 3.1 increases the potential number of simultaneous MacPractice users to 50, with the caveat that installations of 25 or more simultaneous users must use a Mac Pro or better as a dedicated server. Offices with less than 25 users are still not required to have a dedicated server although performance of the new MacPractice Server application in MacPractice 3.1 will be enhanced if they choose to do so.
- WebDesign 2.9.6 ($30) fully featured web development software for Mac OS X. This free
update adds Universal Binary support, an all new text engine with
improved support for Unicode source code and a re-designed user
interface. RAGE WebDesign 2.9.6 also adds support for Mac OS X Leopard. [Download - 16MB]
- Advanced Web Ranking 6.0 ($100) tool that helps check your web site position on all major search engines. Advanced Web Ranking runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. This version features the ability to connect remotely to a TCP/IP server for faster access to a centralized database and the ability to search in the localized version of Google and Yahoo search engines. Also adds the ability to connect remotely to a server (centralized database). [Download - 16.2MB]
- Syncro SVN Client 2.6 ($25) a platform-independent Subversion (SVN) client. Version 2.6 of the Syncro SVN Client introduces a filter option in the History view, drag and drop operations in the Working Copy view, better indentation of text in the compare panel and in the editor panel with the option to configure the size of the tab character. Files and folders can be dragged from other applications and dropped in the Syncro SVN Client's Working Copy view as unversioned resources. The structure of the file tree can be changed in the Working Copy view by drag and drop operations inside this view. [Download - 12.6MB]
MBS REALbasic plug-ins
- Drag-N-Scale 2.0 (free) simple application that makes scaling images easy. Import a folder of images or individual images. Drag the application window resize the displayed image. Batch save all imported images at the new size or save individual images at different sizes. Drag-N-Scale can also email scaled images with the click of a button. Drag-N-Scale is freeware. [Download - 2.8MB]
- Cha-Ching 1.2.1 ($40) easy to use money manager, with a slick interface that uses advanced functionality built into OS X. This release features these enhancements: Backup/Restore options now added to Vault options menu; Enhanced Preference panel; Enhanced Add Vault panel; Enhanced paying Scheduler Items through the Master Vault. It also fixed random .Mac panels appearing when performing backup. [Download - 9.4MB]
- MBS REALbasic plug-ins 7.7 ($270) a collection of several plug-in parts which
extend the REALbasic development environment with over 900 classes and 2
controls featuring over 17000 documented functions. This release adds a Kagi Registration Module plugin for Mac and Windows; improved DynaPDF classes to handle fonts on Mac OS X much better. Now DynaPDF version 220.127.116.113; Updated EyeOne plugin to EyeOne SDK 3.4. Windows DLL is now included. [Download - 84MB]
- Billings 2.5.5 ($60) time tracking and invoicing software from Marketcircle Inc. that delivers professional invoices in minutes. Enhancements in this release include Leopard compatibility. Billings 2.5.5 integrates easily into existing Mac productivity workflows, co-operating fully with Mac OS X's Address Book, publishing events to iCal, and making information available via Spotlight. For optimal performance on any Mac, Billings 2.5.5 is a universal application working on Intel and PowerPC processors. [Download - 18MB]
- NetShred X 4.1 ($25) a tool that erases internet tracks such as cache, history and email. NetShred X runs automatically, without user intervention and in the background, so using the software doesn't interfere with the user's web browsing. The tool also incorporates data overwriting functionality that makes it more difficult to recover erased data. This release adds support for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Safari 3. It also adds a custom browser feature to add support for almost any browser or email program. [Download - 2.2MB]
Zevrix Solutions has released BatchOutput PPT 1.0, completing its suite of tools for outputting files to PDF auatomatically from within all Office applications. BatchOutput is also available for Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe InDesign. The tool allows users to select the files they wish to output and adjust the settings, then automatically have processing to PDF performed. The tool can run in the background, and enables users to output large print jobs without monopolizing a workstation. BatchOutput can automate output to PDF with virtual printers such as Adobe PDF, CUPS-PDF and others. It can also e-mail, fax, and output multiple documents to other formats using specialized virtual printers. It uses settings from the application Print dialog.
- iP2F 1.0 ($15) is a plug-in that eases the process of uploading pictures from iPhoto to Flickr. The software enables users to resize, rename, describe, and tag images with smart Mail-style tokenized fields directly from iPhoto. iP2F also supports creating photo sets and adding images to existing sets or pools.
[Download - 5.72MB]
- PhoneValet 5.3.1 ($170 per line), PhoneHerald 1.1.7 ($500 for first line, $400 for additional lines) are a pair of business-oriented applications that handle various phone communication tasks and notify or survey groups of people by phone, respectively. The updates are available for free to existing PhoneValet 5 and PhoneHerald customers, respectively, and are certified to work with Apple's new Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system.
- DMG Master 1.2 ($15) updates the application designed to create standard Disk Image Archives recognized by any Mac with one click. The latest release includes a new icon designed for Mac OS X Leopard, adds a Uses Destination folder for temporary files, includes a new "Image" menu, and offers an improved user interface with better a indication when using an encryption password as well as enhanced drag-and-drop support.
[Download - 256KB]
- Atomic Mac 6.8.0 ($25) adds the ability to copy selected data from the periodic table of the elements and nuclear database software to other applications. The Atomic Mac also contains a wealth of nuclear information on each isotope, including half life, decay mode, and daughter products. X-ray data (fluorescence and binding energies) is also available, and a molecular weight calculator makes it easy to find the molecular weight of compounds.
[Download - 3MB]
- Differencia 1.0 ($30) is a new reconciliation tool that makes it easy to compare data from different file formats. The software includes templates to quickly compare various formats, and users can help improve the application by creating custom templates.
[Download - 2.2MB]
- PasswordWallet 4.3 for iPhone ($10) gives users access to passwords on Apple's iPhone with no internet connection or hacks required. The software secures all password transfers with 448-bit BlowFish encryption, and enables users to open URLs in new windows to switch between making references to usernames and passwords. The update also includes font size preferences, as well as larger targets for clicking on rows.
[Download - 2.6MB]
NTFS for Mac OS X released
Paragon Software Group today released NTFS for Mac OS X, enabling Mac users to take advantage of Microsoft's NTFS filesystem. NTFS for Mac OS X allows Mac owners to rapidly read and write to NTFS volumes under Mac OS, providing access to the contents therein and ultimately opening the door to cross-filesystem communication. The software is available in one single edition that includes a standard DMG disk image containing the installation package, which is priced at $40 but is available for $30 as an introductory offer. NTFS for Mac requires Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, 128MB of memory, and at least a PowerPC G4 or faster processor.
Aabel, TranslateIt, more
- Aabel 2.4 ($445) updates Gigawiz's application that integrates statistics, scientific graphing, and thematic mapping into a single package. The new plugin-enabled version supports the new Aabel Stats Plug-in SDK 1.0, which allows users to write their own statistical methods and use open-source code; Aabel allows statistical analysis from multiple data sources without reordering data into a single worksheet as well as dynamic data exploration using tools to walk through hierarchies of numeric or categorical data, and interactive filtering based on data patterns. [Download - 15.1MB]
- TranslateIt! for Mac 8.6 ($50) is a multilingual dictionary that allows users to look up words on-the-fly by simply hovering the pointer over an unfamiliar word (in any Cocoa Application) to see its translation in a pop-up window. In addition, it supports translation from clipboard, drag-and-drop translation, manual input of queries in the main window, double-clicking the translation of words in dictionary entries displayed in the main window, and English and German pronunciation guides. It will also print flash cards, offer a quick quiz, and allow custom dictionaries. The shareware is available as a 20-day trial with a 1-year license ($20). [Download - 18MB]
- Digieffects today announced that some of its plugins for Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, and Autodesk Combustion are now available as Universal Binaries for native operation on Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs. The company said that versions of Delirium, Berserk, and Aurorix are now available as free updates. The company said that Universal Binary versions of Digieffects Fantazm, Buena Effects Pack, and Buena Effects Essentials will be available in early 2008.
- Smart Trash 1.1.2 ($10) is a shareware application that enhances the functions of the Mac OS X trash by adding several menu options including: selective file deletion, extensive logging, the ability to empty the trash on specific volumes, and more. The latest version brings compatibility with Mac OS 10.5, mproves the overall functionality, and fixes other bugs. It is a Universal Binary for native operation on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs. [Download - 2MB]
- Colorate 1.2 (donationware) update the utility for creation of harmonic color palettes, aimed from hobbyst to professional designers. Colorate fully automatizes the palette generation from a particular color swatch, selected from the standard Color Panel, dragged from other application or obtained from an image through the integrated Image Analyze feature. It also lets users save the selected palettes as standard “.clr” system palette files. Version 1.2 offers custom palette blending; new German, Danish and Hungarian localizations; better inner color calculations, and more. [Download - 1.4MB]
REALbasic 2007, SnapWeb
- REALbasic 2007 Release 5 (subscription plan required) is a free update to the cross-platform development environment. The latest version includes over 100 improvements to the cross platform development environment that the company claims will increase developer productivity and assure a higher level of application reliability; in addition REAL says it has qualified this release to operate with Apple's latest OS X update called Leopard. REALbasic Standard Edition for Windows or Mac is priced at $200. REALbasic for Linux Standard Edition is offered for free. REALbasic Professional Edition, required for cross-platform deployment, is $500. [Download - 103MB]
- SnapWeb 4.1 ($18) is a shareware snapshot, archiving and publishing utility for Web content; it creates complete screenshots of web pages even if the users
screen isn't large enough to show the whole page at once. The resulting images can be saved in different file formats or copied to the system clipboard. In addition SnapWeb can save web pages as resolved HTML data or it can extract human readable text from web pages. The new version, available as a 30-day trial, is optimized for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger systems (users with Panther should use the earlier version). Updates are $10. [Download - 2.2MB]
- iCal Events 2.3 (free) is the a new version of the popular iCal widget for Dashboard. The new version adds Leopard compatibility, a "beautiful" new user interface, and new tooltips that show calendar names and event start/end times. It also
fixes numerous bugs, dramatically improves performance for Leopard users, and
adds support for Esperanto, Indonesian, Turkish, and Vietnamese. iCal Events displays upcoming events from multiple iCal calendars in a resizable
widget, allowing users to see up to two weeks of upcoming events in the same widget without needing to open iCal. [Download - 209KB]
- iPod.iTunes 3.7 ($40) updates crispSofties' synchronization software for songs, videos, playlist and meta data -- in both directions between iPods and iTunes libraries. It brings compatibility for Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard”. The software can be used to keep files and playlists on different Macs and iPods up to date; perform a full restore of songs, videos and playlists from iPod (e.g. after a hard disk failure or if you buy a new Mac); and revert accident deletion of songs, videos and/or playlists in iTunes as well as cloning and/or backing up an iPod. [Download - 678KB]
- Calcline 1.3 ($20) evaluates mathematical expressions with parentheses, nested
functions and variables. Designed as a substitute for the calculator, users can easily enter simple or complicated expression to quickly find the result. The software can solve expressions step-by-step to show all the mathematical passages and offers customizable constants or variables (as a result of complex expressions). Version 1.3 is optimized and tested for Leopard and Tiger, now offers calculation services for integration with other programs, and accepts letter π as constant in a calculation. [Download - 184KB]
EarthDesk, Fetch, Curio
- EarthDesk 4.1 ($24) is a real-time dynamic desktop map; version 4.1 adds a new map option for a natural view of the Earth from space as well as Leopard support. EarthDesk replaces the static desktop with an image of the Earth showing current sun, moon and city illumination, as well as real-time global cloud coverage, allowing users to track hurricanes and other weather systems. It requires Mac OS X 10.4; upgrades are available for $12. [Download - 7MB]
- Fetch 5.3 ($25) is a new version of the original Macintosh file transfer program tailored for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard; it brings an updated appearance, improved Leopard compatibility, and support for Leopard code signing, making the system
keychain and the new Leopard application firewall more convenient to
use. In addition, Fetch can now upload files to servers using the familiar
Copy and Paste commands, and a new preference offers better control
over Fetch's extensive file decoding support. [Download - 16MB]
- Curio 4.1 (starting at $100) updates the brainstorming and project management application with a Leopard QuickLook plugin for immediate previewing of Curio projects within the Finder as well as one-click screen snapshots. Version 4.1 also integrates with the newly announced Curio Community Center for quick and easy sharing of mind map styles, list styles, notepaper styles, Dossier templates, and Sleuth search sites. It is available in Professional ($150), Standard ($100), and K-12 ($70) editions. [Download - Pro, Standard, Pro, K-12 ]
- Fanurio 1.8 ($40) is a time-tracking and billing application designed for freelancers. Users can easily organize work, track time and create invoices. Fanurio can export its data to a CSV or Excel file, Version 1.8 offers discounts support, the ability to export invoices directly to PDF, a time report for projects, a reminder to start the timer, an improved idle time notifier, and drag and drop support for project items. The Universal Binary supports Mac OS X 10.3 Tiger and later and is available as a 30-day demo. [Download - 10MB]
- launch2net 1.6.23 (75€) supports the Sony Ericsson K850i mobile phone as well and fixes some minor bugs. The applications allows to set-up and use mobile Internet connections worldwide and supports most mobile phones, USB-modems and datacards; it already includes drivers and network access information for a "hassle-free" online experience for high-speed HSDPA and 3G UMTS connections with up to 3.6 Mbit/s download speed (HSDPA) as well as standard EDGE and GPRS protocols. It requires Mac OS 10.4.3 and higher and is compatible with Leopard.
- Cha-Ching 1.2 ($40) is a money manager application with a slick interface that uses advanced functionality built into Mac OS X. Version 1.2 offers local backups, the ability to pay a bill from the Master Vault, Leopard graphical enhancements, sorting based on tags, rules for Smart Folder Creation, better filtering and more. The software can manage checking, savings and credit card accounts as well as offer integrated viewing of online banking account (or QIF import of files directly into Cha-Ching). Users can also create budgets, schedule transactions, and more. The Universal Binary requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later. [Download - 20MB]
Leopard gets SMS support
Nova Media today released FoneLink 1.2, adding a complete SMS manager to send as well as receive and archive SMS messages under Mac OS X Leopard. The mobile phone companion software suite provides a Finder-like view for all files stored on a mobile phone alongside the exchange of data and media files. Media is automatically converted for the best listening and viewing experience on the mobile device, according to Nova Media, and the software is priced at $50 requiring Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.
Peachpit Leopard books
Peachpit has launched a number of new book titles concerning Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Among them: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Visual QuickStart Guide, reference to the essentials of Mac OS X Leopard, including new and revamped applications; Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Peachpit Learning Series, training book for getting started with Leopard and capitalizing on all the new features; The Little Mac Book, Leopard Edition, adopts a back-to-basics approach to introduce users to Leopard.
Avenir becomes StoryMill
Writing software specialist Mariner has announced that its defunct novel creation program, Avenir, will return to the company's product lineup under a new name and version, as StoryMill 3.0. The program combines a word processor, a database and a timeline feature, allowing authors to keep track of all the information needed to properly structure and write a novel. It will for instance tag, track and filter a variety of characters, scenes and locations, ensuring that details are consistent and non-contradictory. For novice writers, the program helps steer through multi-level writing techniques.
- RAID Monitor 2.7 ($20) will automatically check the status of any software or hardware RAID. If a fault is found with the RAID it will generate an email notifying the recipients of the fault. fixes several bugs, adds TLS support, adds support for nested RAIDs in Leopard and a minor interface update. Version 2.7 drops support for 10.3.x, however version 2.6.2 is still available for 10.3.x users. [Download - 1.2MB]
iRecordMusic to 1.6 ($25) enables you to record Internet music, sports and news for listening on your iPod, PDA, mobile or computer. Broadcasts in RealAudio, WindowsMedia, or QuickTime can be recorded as MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, 3GPP, AIFF. Schedule recordings with iCal. Record multiple sources at the same time. AppleScript support. This release adds support for OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and fixes an issue with QuickTime 7.2 where real-time encoding to Apple Lossless failed. [Download - 8.2MB]
- LazyMouse 2.0.3 ($10) system utility for saving time dealing with dialog boxes and alerts. LazyMouse version 2.0.3 is a maintenance release that makes the following changes: Reduced idle-time CPU load to almost 0, the register reminder will now disappear after 20 seconds; cleaned up the look of the registration reminder window. Also, LazyMouse is now a little more forgiving about snapping back the cursor after a slight mouse move. [Download - 1MB]
- PayLoom 1.0 ($20) plugin for RapidWeaver that builds PayPal shopping cart web pages. Designed for novices and experts alike, PayLoom allows users to build a web store in minutes. PayLoom also gives experts access to PayPal's power-user features such as: built-in image processing, easy to add categories, Web 2.0 light-box effects, and is self-contained -- only a basic PayPal account is required. [Download - 633KB]
- Stock Investment Guide to Version 2.3 ($70) tool for performing comprehensive fundamental stock analysis of publicly traded companies. The Stock Investment Guide provides users with easy-to-use tools to use historical stock data to analyze historical growth trends, project earnings, and sales, and determine Buy, Hold, and Sell prices. This version adds an advanced feature to weight high and low PE ratio calculations used the analysis. PE ratio weighting provides different views of companies with expanding or contracting ratios and growth rates. This version also updates the routines to integrate data from StockCentral.com following changes to their web site. [Download - 6MB]
SoloRecord on Leopard
Arcosoft today announced that it has tested its VONaLink SoloRecord VoIP call recording software under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, confirming the application's compatibility with Apple's newest operating system. VONaLink works with any VoIP phone system based on the open SIP standard -- such as Vonage -- to record phone calls or provide screen "pops," and the company's VONaLink ScreenPop software is also available when recording is not required. Both VONaLink SoloRecord ($100) and ScreenPop ($30) are Universal Binaries that run natively on Intel-based Macs, requiring Mac OS X 10.3 or later.
Teleport 1.0 released
After remaining in development or beta for three years, Abyssoft's Teleport application has at last reached a v1.0 release. The program allows users to use a single mouse and keyboard set to control several nearby Macs; when a cursor is moved off the edge of one computer's screen, both the mouse and keyboard transfer over to another specified machine. Users can sync Clipboard contents, as well as drag-and-drop files as if they were on the same system. The first complete version of Teleport brings with it Mac OS X Leopard compatibility, unspecified improvements, and a number of bug fixes.
- Tidy Up! 1.3 ($30) search for duplicate files and packages; by the owner application, content, type, creator, extension, date modified, date created, name, label, visibility and more. You can also search by the tag, duration and bit rate of MP3s and AACs audio files, search the content of the iTunes, iPod and iPhoto databases, search the messages of Mail and synchronize deletions with iTunes, iPhoto and Mail. The new release adds compatibilty with Mac OS X 10.5 and the possibily to exclude from the scan, with one click, any items associated with the system. [Download - 8.3MB]
- Snapz Pro X 2.1.1 ($70) screen and video capture tool. Includes "Live Preview" which shows you exactly how your screenshot will look before you save it to disk. The latest release has full Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard compatibility. It also fixes input problems with the new registration interface, and has improved error handling -- especially out of disk space warnings. [Download - 11.6MB]
- VersionTracker Pro Mac 4.5 ($50) subscription-based software program that compares the user's software with a continually-updated online database, and alerts users immediately when updates are available - with information on system compatibility, new features, user reviews and ratings. Users can then make informed decisions on updating, and download the upgrades. The new release is Leopard Ready: Use the OS filtering feature of VersionTracker Pro to tell you when your favorite applications have been updated for Apple's latest OS. [Download - 2.1MB]
- GarageSale 3.4 ($30) lets Mac OS X users create eBay auctions using an intuitive and Mac-like interface. It features a WYSIWYG auction editor and imports photos from iPhoto, a digital camera, or iSight. The new release adds support for eBay's new user defined item specifics system, can cancel running auctions directly from within the application, and allows users to specify deposit setting when selling cars on eBay Motors. [Download - 18.4MB]
- WireTap Studio 1.0.1 ($70) complete audio recording and management solution. Record the discrete audio output of any application, as well as all system audio, or even record audio input from any microphone, line-in, or audio input hardware. The new release includes full Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 compatibility, finer-grained VU meters in Preferences->Source that better indicate average and peak values. Also, the export drop zone now includes iPhone, to drag your audio clips to your iPhone for use as custom ringtones. [Download - 19.1MB]
SOHO Labels 3
Chronos has announced the release of SOHO Labels 3, a major upgrade to the label design and printing tool. The new release allows users to design and print CD and DVD labels on practically all manufacturers' label stocks. It can also print to DVD Covers, Jewel Case Inserts, Booklets, etc. Design and print a variety of DVD covers, jewel case inserts, booklets, and more. Also new is direct-to-disc printing that can be used with select Canon, Epson, and HP inkjet printers. In addition, there is now Seiko Label Printer Support, Brother Label Print Support. and Custom Field Support, which allows you to use custom fields from the Mac OS X Address Book on label, envelope, and letterhead designs. The new release is a $20 upgrade for registered SOHO Labels & Envelopes users, while the full version is priced at $40.
- TypeIt4Me 3.2 ($27) the original text expander software for Mac OS. Apart from fixing a number of bugs and sporting a re-designed Settings tab, this release adds a number of new features, including: sorting by date created, modified and last used; sorting by number of times an abbreviation has been expanded; automatic replacement of " (double quotes) with "smart" quotes; easier creation of Applescript clippings and more. [Download - 2MB]
- RAGE MapDesign 1.2 ($20) provides a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) user interface that allows web developers to visually add hot spots to a single image file which links to multiple web pages. This release adds easy integration with popular web authoring packages including Rapidweaver. [Download - 9.6MB]
- DragThing 5.9.1 ($30) alternative dock application. It allows multiple docks, each customized to
suit your exact needs. This version adds support for the Spaces feature on Leopard, and includes an option to specify that certain docks should appear in every space. It also includes a new dock theme, "No Glass", that matches the appearance of the side variant of the Leopard Dock. [Download - 8.1MB]
- iStat menus 1.2 (donationware) system statistics monitoring tool. This release includes processes monitoring, enhanced date & time (completely customizable format and "blaqua" skin option), enhanced network bandwidth monitoring (bandwidth graphs for each interface), better temperature and fan support, disk performance monitor (monitor disk performance over time), plus some Leopard only features.. [Download - 2.6MB]
- VelaClock Deluxe 2.1.1 ($16) a world clock widget with a highly configurable user interface. Users can quickly display the time of sunrise, sunset, or twilight, duration of daylight, moonrise, moonset, phase of moon, time zone information and more. The new release is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and features updated Daylight Saving Time rules for Brazil, Egypt, Gaza and Iran. [Download - 1.6MB]
Adium video chat
The team behind Adium, the multi-protocol instant messaging client, has been working hard on enabling compatibility with AIM video chat, and is currently testing branches of an upcoming release, version 2.0, that will support video conferencing via subversion. Other work in this update includes things such as the user interface, local video preview, and bridge code between Adium and Libpurple. The developers said in a blog posting "You'll notice, of course, that we've denoted this as Adium 2.0 - and for good reason. These changes will anchor a large amount of new technology being implemented. The entire team is looking forward to this monumental push forward for Adium, Pidgin, and all projects that use Libpurple. Of course, we always welcome help, and encourage everyone that can lend a hand to do so. You can find all the information you'll need on our wiki, and you can contact either of us directly to get a better idea of where we're at as well as where your help is needed most."
- iStopMotion 2.1 ($50-$500) Stop motion animation tool. Features in Leopard will enable users to capture frames from multiple video sources simultaneously, connect HD cameras using Firewire, manipulate frames as they are captured, for example to adjust the color and create more interesting movies with Quartz Compositions as background and foreground for the animation. [Download - 17.6MB]
- iSale 4.3.1 ($290) eBay auctioning solution for the Mac. Includes tools for creating, tracking and managing your auctions. The new release includes Leopard compatibility enhancements. It also provides better process handling for greater stability, display fixes and better interface consistency. [Download - form]
- BBEdit 8.7.1 ($125) professional strength text editor. This update is a maintenance release that fixes reported issues and adds several minor features and other refinements to this award-winning HTML and text editor. The BBEdit 8.7.1 update is available free of charge to all registered BBEdit 8.5 (and higher) customers from the Bare Bones Software web site. [Download - 15.2MB]
- LiveQuartz 1.7 (donationware) aimed at all people that need a powerful basic image editor to easy manipulate layers, transparency and non destructive filters. This update adds a new tool for MacOS 10.5 (Leopard) named "Background Eraser" that works by just clicking and dragging to remove backgrounds. [Download - 3.1MB]
- Events 4.5v1 ($130) script-triggering plug-in for FileMaker Pro. Schedule any script to be triggered or any email to be sent at any time, on record view, on record creation, on record deletion, on field entry, on field exit and anywhere FileMaker's calculation engine is at play. Back by popular demand is a new-and-improved Events Manager. The new Events Manager makes it even easier to add, delete and view events. Plus, this Events 4.5v1 tool is completely unlocked, so you can customize it and integrate it into your own solutions. [Download - form]
Missing Sync & Leopard
Mark/Space has announced information on a pair of updates for its Missing Sync programs, which allow Mac users to synchronize data such as contacts and calendar information with phones not normally supported by iSync. Currently available is the minor v1.0.2 update to The Missing Sync for BlackBerry, which adds support for unspecified new phones, while also alleviating connection problems reported by some users. Some preliminary fixes for Mac OS X Leopard have been implemented as well, namely the prevention of accidental Time Machine backup of Missing Sync's internal files.
- MacScan 2.5 ($25) anti-spyware software for Macs. The new release a includes a highly demanded scan scheduler. With the new MacScan Scheduler, users can set specific days and times when MacScan will automatically scan for Spyware. Also included is improved Leopard support. [Download - 4.6MB]
- LiveDictionary 1.3 ($25) a Safari extension that adds fast, convenient dictionary lookups to the web. Once installed, it becomes a transparent part of Safari. LiveDictionary offers a wide array of dictionaries for technical terms, general language, and bilingual usage. The new release adds compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and remotes nonfunctioning Ultralingua.net dictionaries. [Download - 11.9MB]
- Ultralingua Multilingual Dictionary 6.1 ($30) multilingual dictionary/thesaurus specifically optimized for Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard. In addition to giving the Ultralingua interface the look and feel of Apple;s new operating system, version 6.1 includes improvements in features and data: updated and enhanced dictionaries for most languages, improved verb conjugator, improved data display. [Download - 16.7MB]
- RailModeller 3.0.4 ($40) solution for creating layouts for model railroads and slot cars on Macs. More than 180 libraries are included providing tracks and accessories from virtually any manufacturer of model railroad tracks, allowing the user to start planning their model railroad empire right away. The update to version 3.0.4 improves the compatibility with Mac MoVe, provides some new functions and improves existing functionality and contains a number of bugfixes. [Download - 6.8MB]
- Diet Sleuth 5.1.0 ($35) a nutritional database and personal health logbook. For each day, you select the foods you have eaten, and the number of servings of each. Diet Sleuth will automatically calculate your caloric intake, fat grams, carbohydrates, fiber, protein, cholesterol, along with sodium, potassium, and calcium. This version adds features to make it easier to copy meals eaten between different days, and also includes several bug fixes. [Download - 3MB]
Office 2008 sneak peek
Microsoft has posted another "sneak peek" at new functionality in the forhcoming Office 2008 for Mac OS X. The latest gallery details new themes, templates and styles. Mac BU officials said "Dozens of new Template designs help users make a statement and get their work noticed. Modern, suite-wide Themes and Styles also help users consistently apply a professional look and feel to their documents and presentations." The Mac BU has also announced that an update to the public beta of Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) client for Mac 2.0 will be available later today.
- Check Off 3.7 (donationware) menu-bar based to-do application. The tool allows creation of groups of items, and each item can have its own note for more information. This release fixes compatibility issues with Mac OS X Leopard as well as resolves many user reported issues. [Download - 605KB]
- Chronos Apps (Leopard) Chronos LLC has announced that its entire product line is now compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. SOHO Organizer, SOHO Notes, SOHO Business Cards, SOHO Labels and Envelopes, SOHO Signs, iScrapbook and F10 Launch Studio have all been updated to run on Apple's latest operating system. The Leopard-compatible versions are available for immediate download.
- Speed Download to 4.1.16 ($25) download manager designed to be a unified hub for almost all downloading and file transfer activities. Version 4.1.16 includes key improvements such as Leopard compatibility, and is a recommended update for all Speed Download 4 customers. Also included is a revamped Speed Download Enhancer. and better memory management. [Download - 6.9MB]
- PopChar X 3.3 ($43) tool for inserting umlauts and special characters into the text of any application. The new version is ready for Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard") and comes with a new magnifier tool that provides an enlarged view of characters to clearly show all subtle glyph details, including their position relative to the baseline. Besides a number of other improvements, the new version also delivers automatic font selection for all components of iWork '08. [Download - 1.7MB]
- PhoneDirector 1.2.5 ($40) For the Nokia 6230, 6230i, 6233, 6234, 6300, 6500, 7280, 7380, 8600, 8800. Phonebook editing, uploading, deleting, backup, export (extended phonebook with more numbers and texts is supported). SMS reading from the phone, sending, replying, forwarding, deleting, archiving. The new release features Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard compatibility. Also has tools for adding, editing, export and import of calendar and To-Do events. [Download - 17MB]
- PhoneAgent 1.4.3 ($40) solution for Sony Ericsson T610, T616, T630, T637, Z600, K700i, K750i, K790i, K800i, K810i, W800i, W880i mobile phones. This release has phonebook management - editing, uploading, deleting, backup, export (extended phonebook with more numbers and texts is supported). Also included is SMS management - reading from the phone, sending, replying, forwarding, deleting, archiving. [Download - 19MB]
Leopard software updates
Apple today released updates for two of its applications, Aperture 1.5.6 and Backup 3.1.2. While the main purpose of the updates is to provide compatibility with Leopard, Aperture has received several bug fixes related to accessing system- and application-specific resources. Both updates are available through Apple's website, and the Software Update application.
SWsoft, the developers of the Parallels Desktop virtualization software, say that the program has been tested with Mac OS X Leopard, and should be compatible. "We're confident that Parallels Desktop is compatible with Leopard. Performance is great, and core functionality works smoothly," says SWsoft director Ben Rudolph. "You'll be able to safely upgrade to Leopard when it goes live without worrying that Parallels will work." Despite this, the company cautions that it has not actually tried Parallels with the final build of Leopard, which might still generate unexpected errors.
VMware Fusion 1.1 RC
Ahead of Leopard's release, VMware announced a new release candidate of its software for running Windows and other operating systems on an Intel-based Mac. Fusion 1.1 Release Candidate, the company said, has been working well on pre-release version of Leopard, but has yet to be tested on the release version of Mac OS X 10.5 (expected to be available late Friday). VMware Fusion is available through the manufacturer's website, and in stores, for $80 and is a free upgrade for all users.
OurTreePro 0.2b released
The developer of PaperCutPro has released a new application for tracking genealogy, titled OurTreePro 0.2b. The software is built on FileMaker Pro 9, and is designed to meet the needs of serious genealogy researchers. OurTreePro does not require a copy of FileMaker Pro to run, and was designed for multiple users under FileMaker Pro sharing or FileMaker Server. Key features include integration of digital assets with genealogy data alongside database storage of pictures, document scans, and PDF files. OurTreePro 0.2b is available as a time-limited beta and will be available for $80 when the software ships.
- Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 4.0.1 ($40) synchronize data with Windows Mobile devices. This update provides important bug fixes and enhancements, including: support for Windows Mobile 6 password protection, improved performance of file-based plugins (notes, music, photos and files), increased stability of notes synchronization, and more. [Download - 42.4MB]
- Cyndicate 1.0.4 ($30) RSS/Atom aggregator and content management application for Mac OS X. The new release fixes all known Leopard issues, fixes a bug that could lead to incorrect parsing of Atom .3 feeds. Also, the update panel has been redesigned with new options.[Download - 3.1MB]
- Synergy 3.2 ($15) puts three buttons to control iTunes in your menubar: previous track, next track, and play/pause; as well as providing you with visual feedback about the currently playing tune. In this release, an "Xidius' Transparent Bar" replaces "Safari" as the default button set; this button set is especially designed for Leopard but also looks great on Tiger. [Download - 1.6MB]
- RapidWeaver 3.6.4 ($50) website creation application for Mac OS X. RapidWeaver 3.6.4, whilst primarily a maintenance release, ensures that RapidWeaver users can continue to develop RapidWeaver sites under the forthcoming release of Mac OS X, 10.5 'Leopard'. [Download - 15.6MB]
- RbApp 2.1 ($300) a collection of reusable classes for developing Mac OS X and Windows software using the REALbasic programming language from REAL Software. Version 2.1 adds dozens of new properties and methods throughout the RbApp classes. For example, RbGrid can now manage external data stored in files, databases or program variables. External data can be linked to any cell within the rows and columns of a grid. Cell data can be colored, styled, sized or edited with standard controls like an edit field, popup menu, combobox, slider bar, checkbox or radio button list. [Download - 21.7MB]
CandyBar 3 due in November
Panic has announced that CandyBar 3, the forthcoming update to its system icon customization software for Mac OS X. CandyBar 3 brings users the ability to customize some of the look of Mac OS X Leopard's new Dock, according to Panic, and as always features CandyBar's easy system icon customization engine. Users can change the trash can icon or replace the new Leopard default folder with drag-and-drop simplicity, and no hacking or memory patches are involved. The update fully supports Apple's new larger Leopard icons at 512 pixels wide/high. CandyBar 3 pricing is not yet determined, but is scheduled to ship before the end of November. CandyBar 3 will only run on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, according to Panic.
Cashcow 1.0 released
Ratface Studios today released Cashcow 1.0, a personal finance application designed specifically for users looking to create budgets and track expenses. "There are plenty of software packages on the market today but they try to manage every aspect of your finances," Ratface Studios said. "Cashcow focuses on managing a budget and tracking your spending and as a result it's much simpler and useful for those who just want to manage their spending." Cashcow avoids accounting concepts and tedious tasks like reconciling transactions, simplifying the process of keeping records up to date. The software is priced at $50, and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later.
Pleasant Software has released a public beta of ShowMacster 1.9, an extension to Apple's iChat which enables users to stream pictures, QuickTime movies and live screen captures during a video conference. Users can also import a collection of pictures, icons or movies to show them instantly. You can alos share onscreen actions with chat buddies. Also included is a "Sketchboard" tool, with which users are able to draw right inside the current streaming picture. Drawings (on a blank sheet or any photo) are updated live as ShowMacster streams any changes instantly.
The Araelium Group has released a new screen recording application for Mac OS X titled Screencast. The software features high performance screen capturing for smooth and fluid motion at 30 frames-per-second (fps), according to the Araelium Group. Recognizing audio from an internal or external microphone as well as system audio, Screencast optionally displays keyboard commands and highlights mouse clicks to easily convey which actions are performed during screen recording. Screencast is priced at $30, and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later with QuickTime 7.2 or newer.
- Hazel 2.1 ($22) watches whatever folders you tell it to, automatically organizing your files according to the rules you create. The latest release has Leopard compatibility. It also features expanded file type filtering and new actions for creating aliases and revealing files. In addition, Hazel 2.1 provides numerous fixes and performance improvements. [Download - 1.6MB]
- Meal Planning 3.2 (free) helps you adjust ingredient portions and make a shopping list for menu items and events. Version 3.2 is compatible with information prepared for older versions. You can now add a recipe note for each menu item and use a calendar window to make notes about when you plan to have menu items. You can also organize Meal Items using Categories (i.e., Appetizers, Entrees, Deserts, etc.) and drag the meal items into the appropriate Categories. Meal Planning prepares lists of ingredients for each event and prepares a consolidated shopping list. [Download - 2.7MB]
- Pomoto 1.0.1 ($3/month) way to publish your iPhoto library to the web. This release includes some new features, but these features were so missed in the last version that we might as well call this a bug-fix release. Here's a brief look at the most important changes: support for iPhoto Smart Albums, support for iPhoto 7 Events, handles iPhoto libraries that contain aliases, more robust photo loading. [Download - 2.2MB]
- iWisdom 1.5.1 ($10) desktop program that will help you manage and maintain a list of quotations and insightful ideas. In this release, a problem with use of inline HTML was corrected, Markdown was added as an export format, and unique numeric IDs are now assigned to each wisdom item and used to generate relatively brief URLs. [Download - 3.3MB]
- iToner 1.0.4 ($15) iToner lets you easily transfer your own MP3 or AAC audio files to your iPhone, and enjoy them as custom ringtones. This update of the tool offers improved support for iPhone OS 1.1.1, along with other bug fixes and improvements. [Download - 4.7MB]
Boot Camp beta gone
After warning users that its beta Boot Camp software for running Windows on an Intel-based Mac will expire at the end of October, Apple has pulled the Boot Camp beta download from its Web site. The company says that the license to use Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expires on September 30, 2007 and that the Boot Camp Assistant Beta will no longer open after expiration. Some versions of the beta software have already expired and the latest version will expire when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard ships in October.