Copyright © 2016
Tag - Onkyo
Pioneer's vision for the future is shifting, as it was announced this week that the company is spinning its disk-jockey audio line off into a new company. Through an agreement with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR), the private equity firm will acquire a majority share in the new company, tentatively titled Pioneer DJ. News follows a change in the previously-announced venture, that would see the home audio division splintered from Pioneer, selling it to Onkyo in its entirety.
Electronics manufacturer Pioneer has agreed in principle to a deal that will see most of its struggling audiovisual hardware business sold to rival Onkyo and an investment firm. Pioneer will sell a 51 percent stake in Pioneer Home Electronics to Baring Private Equity Asia. The remaining 49 percent will be split between Onkyo and the Pioneer parent company -- Onkyo and Pioneer will continue to sell products under separate banners.
Audio specialist Onkyo has announced two new sets of headphones aimed at iOS users, the ES-CTI300s and the IE-CTI300s. The ES-CTI300s use an over-the-ear design, and come in black or silver. Built into the cable for them is a three-button iOS remote with volume, play/pause, track skip, and call answer/rejection functions, and a microphone for calls, recording, and voice commands. The set uses two 40mm titanium drivers, with bass chambers to improve low-end sound.
Onkyo has unveiled the CS-255 CD Hi-Fi Mini System, with Lightning charging dock. This new CD receiver includes certified charging connections for new and legacy iPhone and iPod models, as well as audio playback from compatible smartphones and tablets by way of a USB port, with an integral FM/AM radio that offers a total of 60 memory presets.
Onkyo is soon to release an iOS docking station with wireless capability for its receivers. As well as having a 30-pin connector which also charges an iPad, iPod, or iPhone, the DS-A5 will also allow receivers from other manufacturers to take advantage of the AirPlay wireless streaming, and the streaming of audio files from computers with iTunes installed.
Onkyo is to release two new home theater system packages that are equipped for 4K video resolution. The Onkyo HT-S7500 and HT-S6500 use Marvel Qdeo to upscale low-resolution video to 1080p, as well as the higher 4K resolution if a capable display is connected. Automatic Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding is also supported.
Dolby has declared that e-Onkyo music will be the first online music distribution service to use Dolby TrueHD 5.1-channel surround sound. The music service, a subsidiary of Japanese electronics maker Onkyo, will be letting users download 1000 tracks from 100 albums in the audio standard later this year, with two Onkyo receivers supporting the service.
Onkyo has announced its 2012 line-up of mid-range audio/video receivers. The upper-end TX-NR616 and TX-NR515 support 7.2 surround sound, while the TX-NR414 and TX-SR313 are 5.1-channel receivers. All four provide a front-panel USB port to connect to an iPod, iPhone, or external storage like a flash drive.
Onkyo has introduced a pair of bookshelf speakers that are special in that they have built-in Wi-Fi and DLNA support for streaming audio files from a local network. The setup part of the equation is kept simple too, as the only way to connect them to a network is through Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and a dedicated button. The GX-W100HV speakers can also connect using traditional inputs such as optical and RCA.
Gibson Guitar on Wednesday partnered with consumer audio maker Onkyo to build high-end home theater systems and other audio equipment. Gibson has recently formed a Pro Audio Division and will draw on the resources of Onkyo, while Gibson will share its marketing resources and other expertise. The dea will see Gibson get a controlling stake in Onkyo USA and thus become its second-largest shareholder, while Onkyo will also invest in Gibson.