Tag - ABI Research
The iPad continues to dominate the tablet market, however a report published by ABI Research suggests competing tablets continue to chip away at Apple's market share. The iPad lineup is said to account for 55 percent of tablet shipments in the third quarter, marking a 14 percent drop from the previous quarter and Apple's lowest share since the original iPad debuted two years ago.
Apple's record iPhone sales have led to Android shrinking for the first time in its over three-year history, ABI Research estimated Friday. Operating on the belief that next-closest Samsung shipped 33 million smartphones, it had Android's collective share drop from 52.5 percent in the summer to 47 percent this fall. Apart from the iPhone 4S' launch effect, Android had 'sagging midsection' where LG, Motorola, and Sony had been fighting just to become profitable.
New research from ABI shows that Android mobile operating system surpassed Apple's iOS in the market share of downloaded mobile app downloads. During the second quarter of the year, Android saw a 44 percent market share compared to iOS' 31 percent. ABI research associate Lim Shiyang said Android's open source nature is the driving factor behind its recent success.
Dueling ABI studies marked two milestones for mobile technology. Getting details on netbook shipments, it found that mobile tablets had passed netbooks for the first time with about 13.6 million shipping versus 7.3 million of the primarily Windows-based netbooks. Apple alone would have outsold the netbook class with 9.25 million iPads, or 68 percent of tablets by itself.
Tablets have grown quickly enough that they're now the vast majority of ultramobile PCs in the US, ABI Research determined Thursday. For the year as a whole, the researchers estimated that the iPad and similar tablets would make up 75 percent of the category. The remaining 25 percent would be led by netbooks, but it would also have to split that share with niche PCs like Mobile Internet Devices.
A new teardown by iFixit has revealed much of the construction of the Galaxy S II and has been joined by a similar look by ABI Research that has revealed some genuinely new parts. While the battery life is unspectacular given the Samsung-made 1.2GHz Exynos chip, the Android 2.3 flagship uses a low-power Infineon XMM6260 baseband chip to keep the power consumption down while reaching full speed. A new CMOS antenna switch, and an all-in-one power amplifier that condenses multiple bands into one also help Samsung manage the smaller size.
In spite of doubts of cord cutting, at least some cable TV providers are feeling an impact from Internet video and some of their more digitally-aware phone companies, ABI Research found in a new study. Cable still had the lead but dropped from 72 percent of TV viewing worldwide in 2009 to 69 percent this past year. What growth there was took place in areas such as Latin America, where many hadn't had access to cable TV to start with and, in Brazil's case, were getting it through a government access plan.
Nokia's fall and Apple's rise could be quick enough that the iPhone pushes Nokia to third place in smartphones by the end of the year, ABI Research predicted Friday. Having already slipped behind Android, Nokia's plunge from 40 percent of the smartphone space a year ago to 25 percent in in early 2011 was seen as a sign Nokia would continue to drop just as Apple was climbing. iPhone shipments were up by 15 percent, helped in part by the Verizon iPhone, and at the current rate was growing just as quickly as Nokia was shrinking.
Mobile app stores could peak in as little as two years, ABI Research warned today. It expects the download rate to peak by 2012 or 2013 and to slowly decline from then onwards. Downloads could still be popular with 1.2 billion apps downloaded in 2015, but the decline would be quick enough that companies may not want to depend heavily on apps in the long term.
Only about a tenth of computer buyers would consider using netbooks as their main systems,