updated 05:00 am EDT, Mon September 29, 2003
- Black Cat System has updated ($25 periodic table of the elements and nuclear database), MultiMode OSX 4.1 ($30/$50 decode and transmit shortwave radio), and Black Cat CW Keyer 1.0 ($20 shareware to send morse code from your computer).
- DragThing 5.0 is an upcoming version of the popular destkop launcher utility, offering full support for Panther, new optional sound effects for system actions, browser specific URL launching, new "Metal" Docks, and a new "Window" dock for Panther users. The new version will be a $12 upgrade or $30 new, however, new purchases ($25) of DragThing 4 will receive a free upgrade.
- CocoaTech has released major portions of the source code for its recently released Path Finder 3 file browser, which combines Finder functions (viewing, moving, and manipulating your files) with some powerful, integrated utilities. It includes 5 Path Finder plugins (Hex View, Image Converter, Get Info, Disk Image,and a sample starter plugin).
- iSightWeb 1.0b1 is beta of the new QuickTime-based webcam application: "It handles any QuickTime compatible camera, like Apple iSight or DV camcorder. Capture can be scheduled to predefined interval, and stored locally as JPEG images. [It] is almost entirely written in Objective-C, and requires at least Mac OS X 10.2." [127KB]
- MPE2Works 2.1 is an update to the free tool for converting video to/from various vidoe formats, including the ability to convert to MPEG1/MPEG2 and DVD/SVCD/VCD formats as well as options to mux/demux MPEG files. It adds an option to play movies with MPlayer, more tools, better disk space management, a new Web-based FAQ, and either Aqua or Metal appearances. [Metal, Aqua]
- VChat 1.0a25 is a native client that implements the CU-SeeMe video conferencing protocols under Mac OS X 10.2.5 (recommended). It works with some USB cameras using IOXperts ($20) or Macam (open-source) drivers. It offers preferences for client/connection time out, maximum frame rate, video size, IP address correction, etc. [826KB]
- X Shuffler 0.5b allows quick and easy changing of your X11 configuration without using the terminal. It can save multiple set-ups with GUI functins for start/stop, startup options, window manager preferences, and other configurations: "This application alters your xinitrc file and could cause your X11 implementation to stop working. Please use it with caution." [218KB]