updated 09:10 am EDT, Mon April 7, 2003
Avid today unveiled the new Avid DNA family, a powerful series of hardware accelerators designed for media processing. These Digital Nonlinear Accelerators (DNA)--which include Nitris (Windows-only), Adrenaline, and Avid Mojo--enable professionals to achieve true real-time functionality and exceptional image and sound quality when capturing, editing, finishing, and outputting DV, SD, and HD video formats.
Avid's next-generation Media Composer system, ). Adrenaline provides real-time, multiple-stream uncompressed standard-definition video finishing, a 24p Film Composer offline capability for film and television projects, and the ability to expand to support high-definition media. The system is also the first to offer uncompressed SD video over a standard FireWire connection, real-time color correction tools, and 24-bit audio capabilities. Media Composer Adrenaline has a built-in HD expansion slot and will support 10-bit video and 96 kHz audio. Other features include
- support for five real-time, uncompressed standard-definition video streams, and up to eight streams in high-performance draft mode
- OpenGL-based 3D digital video effects, and real-time Digital Cut
- Mixed resolutions supporting DV25, AVRs, JFIFs and IMX media in one timeline - and to render uncompressed, high-quality effects regardless of resolution
- Transcoding to and from any resolution (i.e. DV25 to a 15:1s offline resolution in order to save space), in real time
- standard Media Composer functions such as JKL keyboard navigation, match frame, extend and replace edit functions, multiple and nested timeline project support, and software multicam support
- Enhanced scrubbing, faster system performance, and real-time audio crossfades, making editing faster and more productive
- Marquee 3D titling, powerful in-frame paint, AniMatte, FluidMotion effects, and 2D and 3D OpenGL technology-based digital video effects
- Support for progressive offline resolutions 14:1, 28:1, 35:1 as well as future support for MXF as one of its file formats.
Media Composer Adrenaline is expected to ship in the third quarter of 2003 for $25,000.
Avid Xpress Pro with Avid Mojo
The newly announced Avid Xpress Pro with Avid Mojo is a combination of new nonlinear editing software and portable Avid DNA (Avid Mojo). The hardware/software solution delivers true real-time video, film, and audio editing functionality, including DV and analog output, for both the Windows XP and Mac OS X.
The system also includes support for 24p digital video projects, automatic expert color correction, and has the revolutionary ability to send uncompressed video over a standard FireWire cable. Avid Xpress Pro software offers 24 video and 24 audio tracks (unlimited through nesting), 2D and 3D OpenGL technology-based effects, enhanced titling, JKL edit, trim and machine control, extend & replace edit, and clip grouping and ganging features. Avid Xpress Pro ($1,700) software is expected to be available in the second quarter of 2003, while Avid Mojo ($1,700) is expected to be available in third quarter of 2003.