updated 10:30 am EST, Wed March 5, 2003
Native Instruments has introduced a "major" update to its semi-modular software synthesizer , bringing more flexibility in sound shaping and design along with multiple synthesis techniques, granular sampling, and flexible envelope control for generating "everything from organic textures to rhythmic loops, from time-evolving soundscapes to vintage sounds." Absynth 2.0 includes a new plugin architecture, more than 800 musical presets, and an intuitive patch window for mix sampling, granular sampling, subtractive, wavetable, FM, AM, ring modulation, and wave shaping synthesis. It is due in May for $300.
The company is also demonstrating other products at Musikmesse Frankfurt 2003, including Reaktor 4, Reaktor Session, Kompakt, Intakt, and Vokator.
- Reaktor 4 is the fourth generation of the its modular, which includes
anti-aliasing oscillators from the PRO-53 for a rich analog sound as well as several new filter macros. It features graphical sample mapping, which allows velocity splits and 32-bit sample support and incorporates a reworked snapshot manager can generate random patches, and can morph between any two patches. It is due in April for $500.
- Reaktor Session offers unlimited access to Reaktor instruments, samplers,
effects, and live tools. It includes synthesizers and resynthesizers, samplers and beat-loopers, groove and drum machines, surround and innovative effects. It supports the DSP algorithms of the 32-bit Reaktor 4 engine, supports 192 kHz sample rates, and includes access to the online library on the NI web site for access to a large collection of instruments. It is due in April for $250.
- Kompakt is a streamlined sampler that ships with a comprehensive library. It combines intuitive handling and a capable architecture with excellent sound quality and is described as "the quickest way to build a production-ready instrument collection, and can also import KONTAKT, Gigasampler, HALion, EXS, AKAI, and other common formats. it is due at the end of April for $200.
- Intakt is a state-of-the-art sampler specifically designed for "rhythmic
loop playback, manipulation, and mayhem. Intakt's convenient one-screen
interface features tremendous sound shaping abilities without disrupting
the creative flow. Using multiple algorithms, INTAKT automatically syncs
to tempo. INTAKT features three sample playback algorithms to ensure
maximum sound quality for a variety of source material." It is due at the end of the second quarter for $200.
- Vokator is a revolutionary vocoder as well as a sophisticated synthesizer, a granular sampler, and a virtual sound-fusion laboratory. It includes a high-resolution FFT spectral engine, which utilizes 1024 bands. It will be available at the end of March 2003 for $300.