updated 10:03 am EST, Fri December 15, 2000
At PalmSource 2000, Palm CEO Carl Yankowski outlined his six-part vision for handheld computing and made several announcements to the more than 3,000 attendees:
- A range of new wireless modems and integrated wireless handhelds are expected in 2001, which will give users access most of the world's major wireless networks.
- Samsung, a new licensee of the Palm OS platform, is developing a new Palm OS-based smartphone for release in the first half of 2001 with functions for a datebook, addresses, to-do lists and memos.
- Net PIM, including the creation of MyPalm portal. The public beta is due by the end of the year.
- Communication Phase 1, which will extend existing e-mail solutions to include message notification, instant messaging and seamless access to Exchange e-mail.
- Communication Phase 2, in which Palm is adding voice, first via telephony, then incorporating voice as data into the Palm OS.