AAPL Stock: 117.81 ( -0.22 )

Printed from

Apple A7 chip rumored to boost performance by up to 31 percent

updated 05:08 am EDT, Mon August 26, 2013

A7 chip could go 64-bit, motion tracking also possible for iPhone 5S

The Apple iPhone 5S A7 chip could offer a 31 percent performance boost over the current A6 chip powering the iPhone 5, according to Fox News reporter Clayton Morris. This aligns with a separate report from 9to5Mac that suggests that Apple has been testing an A7 processor that utilizes a 64-bit ARM-based architecture, up from the current 32-bit basis of the current A6 processor in the Apple iPhone 5 and previous A-series generations.

In mid-August, often accurate KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also predicted that the Apple A7 processor could at the very least begin the transition to a 64-bit architecture that might become fully implemented in a future Apple A8 chip design. In addition to performance gains, Kuo expects that the A7 chip could also offer at least 20 percent better efficiency. It is also thought that a 64-bit architecture could offer benefits in processing the more complex animations and transparency effects that have been introduced in the forthcoming iOS 7 operating system.

Clayton Morris also indicated that his sources believe that Apple could also be incorporating some type of motion tracking technology into the iPhone 5S as well. Adding weight to this possibility is that Apple design guru Sir Jony Ive has previously articulated an interest in motion tracking technology, although whether there is any real potential in such technology being applied to smartphones is debatable. Samsung's Galaxy S4 is capable of tracking hand gestures, but critics have argued that it adds little if anything to the smartphone experience as implemented by the Korean company.

by MacNN Staff




  1. SwissMac

    Fresh-Faced Recruit

    Joined: 08-11-06

    What about battery life? That's the big problem these days. My iP5 lasts at most 2 days before needing a full recharge; that's terrible! Even my iP3 beats that with it's original battery!

    What's the point of having maximum power in a mobile device if it always needs to be near a mains electricity supply to be used? At least my iPad can go a week or two before needing a charge. The way things are going we're going to end up with mobile devices that aren't mobile. Great innovation! Not.

  1. Sanjiv Sathiah

    MacNN Staff

    Joined: 06-05-13

    @SwissMac - Did you skim over the part in the story that said "the A7 chip could also offer at least 20 percent better efficiency."?

  1. SierraDragon

    Mac Elite

    Joined: 03-22-04

    At any given level of tech smartphone battery life is about engineering performance vs. weight vs. battery life, pick two.

    Personally I totally approve of the thin/light/performance balance that Apple has been choosing in the recent iPhones. IMO for 99% of users routinely charging either A) while sleeping, B) during computer usage C) and/or in a vehicle makes it easy enough to always have a charged iPhone. For the other 1% of usages where one wants extreme battery life there are many good third-part battery add-ons.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    IMO 99% of Smartphone users sorely miss the days when you could charge your phone and expect it to last until Friday.

    I know I do.

  1. Laminar

    Posting Junkie

    Joined: 04-28-07

    I'm terrified to know how thick/heavy a smartphone would have to be to be good enough for two or three days of normal (for me) usage.

    Though I've only ever drained my iPhone 5 once or twice in a single day, and that was with 4+ hours of 4G wi-fi tethering.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Oh, I'm quite happy with the compromise. But still, week-long battery life would be wonderful.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.


Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook


Most Popular


Recent Reviews

Ultimate Ears Megaboom Bluetooth Speaker

Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...

Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones

We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...

Jamstik+ MIDI Controller

For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...


Most Commented