updated 07:30 pm EDT, Fri August 23, 2013
Rare ad for Apple's pro hardware announces fall release
A teaser ad for the forthcoming new Mac Pro, seen in cinemas across North America last weekend, has been officially released by Apple on YouTube. The spot is a variation of the teaser seen for the Mac Pro at the Worldwide Developer's Conference where it was first announced back in June, but most notable about it (apart from the oddness of Apple advertising pro-level hardware) is that it narrows the release to "Fall 2013."
Previously, Apple had simply said that the long-awaited revamp was coming "later this year." The commercial's intent seems as much to heighten awareness among the general public of Apple as a company that is still innovating and an industry leader as it does to actually promote the Mac Pro. While the price tag of the diminutive mini-tower is thus far unknown, it is expected to cost the same or more as the present Mac Pro models, putting it outside the reach of most consumers.
The soon-to-arrive Mac Pro revision is a radical rethink of the entire concept of workstation computers, eschewing internal expansion space in favor of ultrafast connectors such as Thunderbolt 2. Because Thunderbolt can be adapted to a number of other formats, it becomes a no-bottleneck hub for high-performance external storage or other connectivity. The new, cylindrical styling is said to be only one-eighth the size of the current Mac Pro, yet the company says it will be 2.5 times more powerful.
The new Mac Pro will offer solid-state internal storage, faster RAM, two workstation-class GPUs and an enterprise-class processor with up to 12 cores. The machine is said to be able to comfortably handle dual 4K monitors, making it already a hot commodity in the pro-video segment. Still, no specific debut date has emerged, and it is unlikely to be unveiled during an iOS-oriented event such as the expected iPhone 5S reveal, currently believed to be happening on September 10.