toggle

AAPL Stock: 118.63 ( + 2.16 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Laurene Jobs launches website advocating Dream Act

updated 02:56 pm EST, Tue January 22, 2013

Promotes site in rare interview

The widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Laurene Powell Jobs, has launched a new website to help her promotion of the Dream Act. The site, The Dream is Now, features videos of immigrants who would benefit from the act's passing. The project was completed with the help of filmmaker Davis Guggenheim, best known for An Inconvenient Truth and Waiting for Superman. The former film, notably, centered around the climate change activism of current Apple board member Al Gore.

Proposals for the Dream Act date back to 2001, but the measure has never made it through the US Congress. It would let immigrants under 30 who came to the US when they were under 15 earn legal residence through a series of procedures and fees, so long as they've lived in the country for over five years.

In an interview with Yahoo, Jobs says she became interested in the Dream Act because of College Track, an after-school program started in 1997 to help poor high school students get ready for college. She adds that she and Guggenheim wanted a "demystification," to "put a face" on the people the Dream Act would help.

Jobs rarely grants interviews. Even while her late husband was alive, she typically stayed out of the media spotlight.




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

  1. mr_strat

    Fresh-Faced Recruit

    Joined: 03-23-12

    If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    And if you already live there through no choice of your own and are already integrated and a useful citizen, **** THE HELL OFF TO WHERE YOUR PARENTS BROUGHT YOU IN FROM.

    :rolleyes:

    (or did you just miss the "under 15" bit?)

  1. beb

    Mac Elite

    Joined: 01-29-02

    It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.

  1. gradient

    Mac Elite

    Joined: 08-20-05

    Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.

  1. mattyb

    Addicted to MacNN

    Joined: 02-22-08

    Originally Posted by gradientView Post

    Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.



    Sssssshhhhh! They don't like to be reminded of that.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    people still trust al gore??

  1. shifuimam

    Addicted to MacNN

    Joined: 08-15-06

    Originally Posted by bebView Post

    It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.



    Just to clarify - many, even most, illegals in the United States (talking about Latinos here) pay taxes. They use falsified Social Security numbers and they do pay taxes. This doesn't account for everyone in the US illegally, but not everyone is just a freeloader.

  1. besson3c

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 03-03-01

    Originally Posted by mr_stratView Post

    If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.



    Absorbing aspects of other cultures is what makes countries like this so interesting. Do you enjoy eating non-American food?

  1. besson3c

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 03-03-01

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    people still trust al gore??




    Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by besson3cView Post

    Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?



    Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?

  1. besson3c

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 03-03-01

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?




    Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by besson3cView Post

    Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.



    Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps. :p

  1. besson3c

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 03-03-01

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps. :p




    Have you thought about taking up badminton?

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by besson3cView Post

    Have you thought about taking up badminton?



    Tried the Flip Ball Stick. Just not for me :(

    I really think you might like the cork pop gun though.... It's best for the Clinically Insane.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

MacNN Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Plantronics BackBeat Pro Bluetooth headphones

Looking for a pair of headphones that can do everything a user requires is a task that can take some study. Trying to decide on in-ear ...

MaxUpgrades 512GB Retina MacBook Pro SSD

Apple's Retina line of MacBook Pro notebooks have been impressive, right from their debut in 2012. Thinner than the previous model, t ...

Lemur BlueDriver

"Oh no, the check engine light is on…again! What one of the hundreds of reasons could it be this time? Probably going to cost a for ...

toggle

Most Commented