Enterprise sales up over 50 percent, nearing 10 percent marketshare

  • Avatar
    SockRolid Forum Regular Joined: Jan 21, 2010

    Would be interesting to see the breakdown between iMac / Mac Pro and MacBook Air / MacBook Pro in sales to businesses. I'd guess that the MacBook Air is a huge contributor to business sales. Spreadsheets, word processing / document workflow, and other business-related computing tasks don't need massive CPU power. The MacBook Air could easily handle most common business computing tasks, plus it has portability, build quality, lower system administration costs, longer lifespan, and lower total cost of ownership than Wintel laptops.

  • Avatar
    Charles Martin Mac Elite Joined: Aug 04, 2001

    Here Inkling and I are in complete agreement. I think his list of suggestions is brilliant and hope that he cc'd tcook@apple.com on that.

  • Avatar
    besson3c Clinically Insane Joined: Mar 03, 2001

    Originally Posted by InklingView Post


    Business involves a lot of working with text. Apple would do even better with businesses and professionals if it enhanced OS X (and iOS) text services so virtually every text app became much more useful within a matter of months. Examples include: [LIST=1]

  • Make MAJOR improvements to spelling suggestions. As is, OS X fails to offer a suggestion about a third the time, which wastes a lot of time. Even a single missing letter can stump it. "Did you mean" inside Google search spots the misspelling and its correction about 98% of the time. OS X should be as smart as Google Search
  • Easy file transfer to mobile devices. My Mac laptop needs a option to send a document from inside any app to my iPad and an equivalent app. Just select File-Digital-Send to my iPad. Apple might even add the ability to send documents to a colleague's mobile devices.
  • Build in Track Changes that works inside and between all willing text apps. That's a must-have feature for business. It's why many endure Word but would rather not.
  • Making creating a ePub file as easy as creating a PDF has always been in OS X. Most PDF documents are too large to be readable on an iPhone. We need ePub built into OS X and iOS and the universal language for text.
  • Build in HTML-like tagging of text for its meaning, i.e. character and paragraph styles as in Word. Today, many documents no longer end up on large sheets of paper. With screen sizes varying from a few inches to 30 inches. We need a way to format text for the display size. And make those tags transfer easily between apps.
  • Add a clever implementation of GREP with some well-written scripts. It can be a real time-saver. Prewritten scripts (i.e. to format phone numbers) would mean most users would not need to know how to code GREP.
    Apple's advertising should also show more people over the age of thirty and people doing something other than playing, vacationing, and dancing. In the 1990s, businesses were so solidly behind Windows that Apple had to target a 'young people at play' demographic. Today that's no longer so, but Apple's ads haven't changed. Apple's own ads limit its appeal.
    If Apple made OS X and iOS a more efficient work environment by improving text services (virtually unchanged in the last five years or more) they could create the ultimate in ads for businesses, one showing people leaving work early thanks to using a Mac while their colleagues remain behind, sweating over a Windows machine. Bosses would love it. Employees would love it. The family at home would love it.



    Re: #6, do you mean grep + awk? Grep is just a search tool. Isn't #5 covered with "paste and match style" and "paste and retain style" in apps like Notes?

  • Avatar
    besson3c Clinically Insane Joined: Mar 03, 2001

    Originally Posted by SockRolidView Post


    Would be interesting to see the breakdown between iMac / Mac Pro and MacBook Air / MacBook Pro in sales to businesses. I'd guess that the MacBook Air is a huge contributor to business sales. Spreadsheets, word processing / document workflow, and other business-related computing tasks don't need massive CPU power. The MacBook Air could easily handle most common business computing tasks, plus it has portability, build quality, lower system administration costs, longer lifespan, and lower total cost of ownership than Wintel laptops.


    But if you factor in staffing costs and support of OS X involves additional effort of some sort, any cost advantages might be overshadowed.

    Perhaps things are changing, but it hasn't been until Quickbooks 2011 where it has gained multi-user support. There are still some areas where having a Mac in a business workflow is onerous.

  • Avatar
    blahblahbber Banned Joined: Feb 01, 2005

    Here's another one... How about crApple implementing a true "Print Selection" rather than having to manually implement printselection.service.... and another: How about changing text DPI modes to your liking?... oh, and another: How about disabling features for advanced users that KNOW they don't want running, like iPod.Framework (mandatory to run OSX)... gosh, I know another: how about allowing FLAC files to play natively iTunes or having iTunes Extensions like in Safari? AND Another.... how about being about to have native TRIPLE-BOOT capabilities rather than implementing rEFIT .... or how about merging itunes accounts for obvious reasons?? etc. etc..... I mean.... the list goes on and on and on .... on Lastly and most annoyingly: Why can't OSX manage my memory properly, I mean having to run the "purge" command to get OSX back on its paws does suck & has SUCKED FOR YEARS... FIX THIS!!!



    p.s. I know that FLAC or cryTunes isn't exactly business but still. And these are the MOST basic needs that have been lacking since the inception of OSX. Even bootcamp drivers aren't all that great... especially when trying to use crApple's bluetooth trackpad for windows, when you know that if bootcamp is supported, why can't the wireless trackpad have the crApple magic back in there?....

    yeah, I think someone should contact tim cook and point him to this thread.

  • Avatar
    Spheric Harlot Clinically Insane Joined: Nov 07, 1999

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    How about disabling features for advanced users that KNOW they don't want running, like iPod.Framework (mandatory to run OSX)...



    Why does this matter?

    AFAIK, it is neither loaded nor running unless called for by the mounting of an iDevice; it just needs to be present.

    If it consumes absolutely no system resources, causes no trouble, and is for all intense porpoises completely invisible unless it is needed, why care?

    This reeks of legacy "I need to manually manage my extensions!" or "Why can't I manually allocate application memory in OS X" complaints from uprooted OS 9 users.


    Also, a note: why do you insist on disqualifying your entire persona through completely idiotic pot-shots and self-admitted trolling? Perpetually calling the company "crApple" and knowingly posting complete bullshit has absolutely no effect whatsoever except that it completely negates any validity the rest of your posts may have had. It took some effort to actually try and reply to what you were saying, rather than just dismissing it outright and letting you slide back into oblivion on the ignore list.

    I realize that getting folk riled up is the point, but really: you seem to be smarter than that. Change jobs, change partners, kick a puppy or at least do SOMETHING. But your schtick here is just… lame.

  • Avatar
    blahblahbber Banned Joined: Feb 01, 2005

    Originally Posted by besson3cView Post


    But if you factor in staffing costs and support of OS X involves additional effort of some sort, any cost advantages might be overshadowed.

    Perhaps things are changing, but it hasn't been until Quickbooks 2011 where it has gained multi-user support. There are still some areas where having a Mac in a business workflow is onerous.

    Additional costs come at a disadvantage if you are supporting two platforms rather than one for obvious reasons.... but running your business on just OSX will create less jobs since there is less maintenance on OSX. Microsoft created jobs, whether good or bad.... who wants to lose their income??? Do you want a human clone to replace you completely, because that isn't too far fetched...? Yeah, thought so.

  • Avatar
    blahblahbber Banned Joined: Feb 01, 2005

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    Why does this matter?
    AFAIK, it is neither loaded nor running unless called for by the mounting of an iDevice; it just needs to be present.
    If it consumes absolutely no system resources, causes no trouble, and is for all intense porpoises completely invisible unless it is needed, why care?
    This reeks of legacy "I need to manually manage my extensions!" or "Why can't I manually allocate application memory in OS X" complaints from uprooted OS 9 users.
    Also, a note: why do you insist on disqualifying your entire persona through completely idiotic pot-shots and self-admitted trolling? Perpetually calling the company "crApple" and knowingly posting complete bullshit has absolutely no effect whatsoever except that it completely negates any validity the rest of your posts may have had. It took some effort to actually try and reply to what you were saying, rather than just dismissing it outright and letting you slide back into oblivion on the ignore list.
    I realize that getting folk riled up is the point, but really: you seem to be smarter than that. Change jobs, change partners, kick a puppy or at least do SOMETHING. But your schtick here is just… lame.

    OSX Memory issue is huge... FREE MEMORY IS MY TARGET. Read up on this issue; it's real and just needs you to look deeper than personal quick wit.

    Glad you did not argue about my other tiffs. And back to the self-admitted trolling; this was to satisfy your cravings.

    Also, I think I left one other thing out: Why can't crApple's New thunderbolt macs play nice with aftermarket SSDs?? This is just absurd in itself!

    Expect all ports to implement tighter restrictions as they continue to increase in data throughput. As soon as Thunderbolt came out... CCC has steered toward a commercial model.... and now here it is. You can't even format a new aftermarket Intel SSD installed in a macbook with thunderbolt. You have to format it via USB then install it to further "finish the job".... SUCKS, thanks crApple. Thank you very much for showing me where things are headed....