AAPL Stock: 117.81 ( -0.22 )

Printed from

Lenovo: Android tablets still need to improve to rival iPad

updated 11:30 am EST, Thu January 12, 2012

Lenovo CEO says Android tablets uncompetitive

Lenovo's CEO Yang Yuanqing in an interview late Wednesday made the unusual comment that Apple had effectively locked up the tablet market in the near term. While Android had 32 percent of tablets, according to IDC, the executive told Bloomberg the iPad was the "leader" and that he didn't see Google changing this yet. Implying that even Lenovo's own IdeaTab S2 wasn't enough, he saw Android needing to find a breakthrough, although he wasn't clear what that was.

"For the Android ecosystem, we still need to learn something, we still need to improve something," Yang tried to explain.

At the same time, however, the Lenovo chief tried to downplay the importance of tablets themselves. They made up an "extra market for some niche customers," he argued. Instead, ultrabooks and tablet crossovers, like the IdeaPad Yoga and its 360-degree hinge, would supposedly be the eventual preference over the iPad and other pure tablets.

Ultrabooks as a whole would become 30 to 40 percent of the notebook industry, he added.

The remarks were oddly timed as they followed just after preliminary IDC estimates that showed tablets shrinking the PC market in the fall and 2011 in general. While high-end notebooks have been comparatively safe, netbooks and low-end notebooks have seen a large amount of sales deferring to tablets instead, prompting a complete reorganization of Acer's focus and much more attention spent on tablets.

Android on the tablet has so far failed to meet presumptions that it would automatically dominate in the same way that it quickly rose to the top in smartphones. A lack of apps, high device prices, and a desktop-like interface have all been blamed as early factors in Android's struggle to get near the iPad. Convertible Windows tablets like the upcoming IdeaTab Yoga have remained the smallest piece of market share and are usually priced well above mobile OS tablets.

by MacNN Staff



  1. mytdave

    Joined: Dec 1969



    Android has 32% of what? I'm pulling these numbers out of my backside, but Android "tablets" maybe account for 10% of the market. 2-5% of the market are tablets that have been fire sale'd, and the last 2-5% are Windows tablet-like computers.

    Apple has like 80% share of the tablet market, or what I would call a "real" tablet. Part of the remaining 20% would include the Kindle "Fire" and the B&N "Nook". But those aren't really Android tablets... Sure, they're running the Android OS, but the UI is customized specifically for them, the platform is closed, and they're locked to their respective outfits (Amazon, B&N). You're not going to get to run over to the Android Marketplace and get any apps you want with 90% of the "Android" tablets out there. What's the use of that?

    The "Android tablet" market doesn't really exist yet. Any Android-based tablet devices have truly had zero impact on the iPad, so far. Wake me up when there's a real Android tablet market, for now it's just a stats game for analysts.

  1. SockRolid

    Joined: Dec 1969


    Google has no clue either

    Re: "...he saw Android needing to find a breakthrough, although he wasn't clear what that was."

    Google isn't clear what that is either. And they don't care. All Google cares about is whether or not people see ads on Android. 96% of Google's revenue comes from ads. Do the math.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.


Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook


Most Popular


Recent Reviews

Ultimate Ears Megaboom Bluetooth Speaker

Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...

Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones

We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...

Jamstik+ MIDI Controller

For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...


Most Commented