toggle

AAPL Stock: 122.37 ( -0.62 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Motorola: no more than 1.5m tablets in 2011, Defy+ not in US

updated 06:45 pm EDT, Thu July 28, 2011

Motorola curbs tablet goals for 2011

Motorola as part of its results talks painted more modest picture for its tablet hopes in the second half of the year. It now anticipated that its entire tablet shipments for 2011 would range between 1.3 million and 1.5 million. The split left Motorola shipping as many tablets in the second half of the year as in the first half, even with at least two new tablets shipping.

There could also be more tablets at the same time, CEO Sanjay Jha added, hinting that plans for two LTE-based 4G tablets didn't rule out others.

The company leader was also more cautious about pricing. He indirectly admitted that Motorola had been overly optimistic about Xoom pricing at the start of the year, when it decided to start off with just an $800 3G tablet at Verizon and was undercut by both Wi-Fi and 3G versions of the iPad 2. Motorola had "much more cognizance" of what prices had to be, Jha said.

He blamed the high pricing on being first to move with a tablet, although critics have noted that Apple had already set a baseline for tablet prices a year earlier. Motorola isn't alone, as Samsung is known to have made its own bad assumption that the iPad 2 would have to be more expensive and lowered prices only after Apple went public with its plans.

Later in the call, Motorola confirmed the existence of the Defy+ but said it wasn't likely to get a US presence. The original version of the rugged Android phone launched in the US first but was much more popular everywhere else, according to the company. It has been rumored as coming to AT&T but would be mostly a faster version with an up to date version of Android.




by MacNN Staff

toggle

Comments

  1. macnixer

    Joined: Dec 1969

    +1

    Are you lost Sanjay?

    He blamed the high pricing on being first to move with a tablet...
    As the articlesmention it here, the CEO is clueless that the iPad had already defined the baseline. Need we say more that Motorola needs a change in leadership. If they cannot judge a market from competitors view then they cannot run the future. Motorola will soon be out of the game. The only reason it was successful for a period in the smartphone world was because of Droid being first iPhone look-alike on Verizon. Now they have lost that position to many and iPhone. Case closed.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook

toggle

Most Popular

Advertisement

Recent Reviews

HP 14-x030nr 14-inch Chromebook

If you're like us, chances are you've come to realize that you need the ability to access the Internet on the go. Also, you've prob ...

15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch

Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...

Typo keyboard for iPad

Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...

toggle

Most Commented