toggle

AAPL Stock: 101.58 ( + 0.72 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Guam iPhone launch set for December 11th

updated 01:55 pm EST, Mon December 7, 2009

US territory finally gains native carrier

The remote American-owned territory of Guam will at last get the iPhone on December 11th, according to carrier GTA TeleGuam. Hardware prices mirror those of AT&T, with an 8GB iPhone 3G costing $100, and a 16GB iPhone 3GS costing $200. A 32GB 3GS will cost $300.

Pre-orders begin today, and require an MPULSE subscription plan with a two-year contract. Plans are cheaper than their American counterparts, with a Basic plan costing $50 per month, while still including unlimited data, 100 peak voice minutes and 300 minutes on nights and weekends. A $70 Plus plan offers 500 peak minutes and unlimited nights and weekends, while the $90 Promo option has 3,000 anytime minutes, also incorporating long-distance calls to the US. SMS messages are extra in all cases.

The TeleGuam 3G network is said to cover 80 percent of the island at the moment, leaving 20 percent to be added in early 2010. While the island has less than 180,000 residents, it may nevertheless be a reasonable iPhone market due to tourism and the presence of several US military bases. The US has had a presence in Guam since the Spanish-American War.




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

  1. TomSawyer

    Joined: Dec 1969

    +1

    About time...

    Service members, contractors, tourists, and the islanders deserve what the mainland folks have access to. The island isn't a bunch of grass huts with a hand cranked generator powering a lone HAM radio.

    ;-) BTW, my guess is the 20% of the island not covered with cellular already is probably the part with jungle so thick you need a flashlight at noon. I guess GTA Telecom is just filling in the map for bragging rights or for an anti-Verizon commercial. ;-)

  1. iphonerulez

    Joined: Dec 1969

    +1

    So what are we talking sales here?...

    Say if they have a population of 200,000, maybe 2,000 to 3,000 iPhones sold per year. Might have better sales than North Dakota, though. Not exactly much to get excited over.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

MacNN Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Autodesk Smoke 2015

Since May of this year, Autodesk has been shipping the highly anticipated update to its high-end post-production video editing suite, ...

Crucial MX100 256GB SATA-3 SSD

While the price-per-gigabyte ratio for magnetic platter-based hard drives can't be beat, the speed that a SSD brings to the table for ...

Narrative Clip

With the advent of social media technology, people have been searching for new ways to share the events of their daily lives -- be it ...

toggle

Most Commented