AAPL Stock: 117.81 ( -0.22 )

Printed from

25m iPhone OS devices sold in the US to date

updated 10:30 am EDT, Thu July 23, 2009

AdMob June 2009

Apple has successfully sold over 25 million devices running some form of iPhone OS since it started selling them two years ago, new AdMob data shows. The advertisers and researchers estimate that, of the 45 million iPhone OS devices shipped worldwide since June 2007, about 13 million were American iPhones while 12 million were iPod touch units have been sold in the country. Although the mix skews towards the iPhone, the difference was helped by the three-month lead for that device first entering stores.

Outside of the US, however, the ratio is still heavily biased towards the iPhone, with about 68 percent of all international iPhone OS devices being iPhones themselves while the remaining 32 percent represented the iPod touch. Analysts haven't explained why the discrepancy exists, although in certain countries a fully subsidized iPhone costs significantly under $199 on contract or is even free with certain plans.

Apple's total share is accordingly less biased towards the US than it has been. Although the one country accounts for 54 percent of all iPhone OS hardware use, that number has dropped noticeably from 61 percent in January and shows more sales going to international buyers. The iPod touch is most disproportionately favored in the US as 61.8 percent of everyone known to be using the device comes from that country. Just over half of iPhone users, or 50.2 percent, were Americans.

In current mobile web share, which represents the popularity of the devices online, Apple actually shrank back slightly from where it was in May. iPhone OS dropped from 49 percent of worldwide traffic to 47 percent, while in the US it fell from 68 percent to 64 percent.

A particular cause hasn't been identified but is likely to come from the Android platform; web requests from the Google OS surged 25 percent just from month to month and gave it 5 percent of world share, putting it past Windows Mobile for the first time despite less than a year on the market. Usage was chiefly led by the T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) but was helped along by international launches of the HTC Magic. Symbian has also gained back a single point of world share to reach 34 percent, and Palm has made a surprise recovery to 2 percent. BlackBerries and Windows Mobile phones remain flat at 7 and 4 percent each.

As in the past, AdMob's data doesn't directly mirror actual smart device share but does reflect overall trends as well as a preference for certain devices over others with mobile data. Both iPhone OS and Android use much more advanced, touch-friendly web browsers and have robust third-party app communities where other devices usually have poor stock browsers and have been slower to support third-party apps.

by MacNN Staff



  1. simdude

    Joined: Dec 1969



    I have heard the grand wizard of technology, Ballmer, comment on the iPhone's dominance in the smartphone arena. How about Steve?

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.


Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook


Most Popular


Recent Reviews

Ultimate Ears Megaboom Bluetooth Speaker

Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...

Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones

We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...

Jamstik+ MIDI Controller

For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...


Most Commented