toggle

AAPL Stock: 118.44 ( -2.86 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

ASUS to cease 8.9-inch Eee PC production in 2009

updated 10:25 am EST, Thu February 19, 2009

ASUS ends 8.9-inch Eee PCs

ASUS, maker of the popular Eee PC range of netbooks that arguably pioneered the category, will phase out the production of nearly all of its 8.9-inch Eee PC netbooks, DigiTimes has reported on Thursday. The news came from the company's Asia-Pacific division president, Benson Lin, who says the move is due to the growing popularity and consumer demand for 10-inch models that will become the focus at ASUS.

In 2009, 95 percent of all Eee PCs built will feature a 10-inch screen, with the remaining 5 percent being 7-inch models sold as subsidized units via wireless data providers, Lin says. ASUS is relatively well prepared to offer users a wider range of 10-inch Eee PCs, as it is readying to deploy both a version powered by Intel's new 1.66GHz Atom chip, the 1000HE, and a 1000HG version equipped with WiMAX mobile broadband capabilities.




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook

toggle

Most Popular

Advertisement

Recent Reviews

HP 14-x030nr 14-inch Chromebook

If you're like us, chances are you've come to realize that you need the ability to access the Internet on the go. Also, you've prob ...

15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch

Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...

Typo keyboard for iPad

Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...

toggle

Most Commented