updated 03:35 pm EST, Sun December 21, 2008
Smoking MacBook reported
An individual in the United Kingdom has reported a potential MacBook safety hazard after being awoken by the sound of fire alarms that were triggered by smoke emitting from the back of the device, according to Sevenmac. The user had been reportedly using MacBook to watch a DVD, with the lid open and video output routed to an external display. Photographs show smoke residue above the cooling vent, on the desk and covering the MacBook logo below the screen. Despite the smoke, the 2.16GHz MacBook continued to function properly and smcFanControl did not indicate any errors.
The problems appeared to be internal and unrelated to the battery, although the device is currently being inspected by Apple. Manufacturing issues forced the computer-maker to recall over 1.8 million batteries in 2006, while isolated MacBook fires continued into 2007.