toggle

AAPL Stock: 112.76 ( -0.53 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Toshiba joins Samsung in SanDisk bid

updated 04:20 pm EDT, Tue September 16, 2008

Toshiba to buy SanDisk?

Earlier this month, a report had Samsung interested in buying portable flash memory maker SanDisk, and today's rumors have another suitor considering making a bid for the company. A newswire reports Toshiba is the latest interested party, and is only considering a bid in order to prevent competitor Samsung from taking over SanDisk, thus creating a near monopoly as the sole supplier of NAND flash memory devices, components and subsystems.

SanDisk and Toshiba are partners since 2004 when it comes to NAND memory, with the former holding a 49.9 percent stake in Flash Partners Ltd., and the latter the remaining 50.1 percent. The same split of Flash Alliance Ltd. exists, which opened in 2006. Both joint ventures produce NAND chips. A third joint has been inked, with the factory expected to open in 2010.

Samsung and Toshiba are two and key suppliers of flash memory for cellphones, PCs and portable media players, including Apple's iPods and iPhones.




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook

toggle

Most Popular

Advertisement

Recent Reviews

Blue Yeti Studio

Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...

ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector

Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...

MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME

When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...

toggle

Most Commented