Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
iControl for iPhone
Apple may be preparing to add iPhone (and iPod touch) functions to connect to and play media from nearby iTunes sources. Citing an "anonymous tipster," TUAW reports that code found in the latest firmware release points to a new iPhone application called iControl, which it says could be part of Apple's own plan to release new software applications based on forthcoming iPhone SDK. Based on strings found in the code of the latest private iPhone firmware beta, the application would allow users to connect to shared iTunes library running on a PC to playback songs or view videos. According to the report, the media navigator will allow users to view videos, play podcasts, listen to music and even support shuffle playback from the iTunes library. If true, iPhone and iPod touch users would not only be able to playback media from their device, but may also be able to actively control iTunes installed on a PC.
Koingo ships Mac Pilot 3
Koingo Software has unveiled Mac Pilot 3, the incarnation of its tinker tool for Mac OS X that sports approximately two hundred new features and enhancements. According to the company, the total number of features in Mac Pilot now exceeds six-hundred, allowing users to completely customize the Dock, Finder, Safari, and numerous other Apple and third-party applications with a few mouse clicks. The software allows users to alter the configuration of the Mac OS X file server with over fifty customizable options, fine tune the network card for broadband, erase logs and caches, change disk settings, disable Spotlight, schedule power events, view a character map for fonts, and more.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- Ex-Apple engineer testifies on project to block non-iTunes clients [u] - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies
- New iOS 8.1.2 release solves problems with missing ringtones - 6 replies