toggle

AAPL Stock: 122.77 ( -1.73 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Blu-Ray claims third week of dominance

updated 03:15 pm EST, Fri February 1, 2008

Blu-Ray holding control

Blu-Ray is continuing to grow its stranglehold on the HD movie format, a new Nielsen study suggests. Contained in Nielsen's latest VideoScan First Alert is word that in the week ending January 27th, Blu-Ray accounted for 82 percent of HD disc sales, leaving HD DVD with a mere 18 percent. Similarly, all of the ten best-selling HD movies were for Blu-Ray, led by Saw IV, and followed by The Game Plan and 3:10 to Yuma.

This marks the third straight week of a virtual monopoly by Blu-Ray. The shift in balance is widely attributed to the defection of Warner to the format, ending an earlier policy of producing HD DVD movies as well. Warner titles will no longer be available on the latter media as of May this year. The acceleration of Blu-Ray is said to be so fast that promotional giveaways, once a staple of the fight for control, may no longer be necessary. [via Blu-ray.com]




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook

toggle

Most Popular

Advertisement

Recent Reviews

15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch

Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...

Typo keyboard for iPad

Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...

Entry-level 27-inch Retina iMac

The 27-inch Apple iMac with 5K Retina display is already one of the best value-for-money Macs that Apple has ever released. It was som ...

toggle

Most Commented