AAPL Stock: 110.38 ( + 0.8 )

Printed from

Mac OS X 10.5.2 update to exceed 400MB?

updated 10:55 am EST, Mon January 21, 2008

Mac OS X 10.5.2 details

The next update for Mac OS X may be one of the largest Apple has ever released, accounts say. During last week's Macworld event, it is said that a new build of Mac OS X 10.5.2 was circulated amongst developers, under the version name 9C16. Aside from adding support for Remote Disks (for the MacBook Air) and using networked volumes as Time Machine devices (required for the Time Capsule), it reportedly addresses issues with almost 40 OS components, including AirPort, firewalls, Dashboard widgets, Finder, the Dock, iCal, iChat, Mail and Safari.

Some 100 issues are said to have been addressed in total; the latest build alone includes 20 fixes, to problems such as DVD playback and secondary displays, Time Machine and resumed backups, and multiple PDF-related complications. The size of the complete v10.5.2 update could be in excess of 400MB, although users who already have v10.5.1 may have less to download.

Two bugs are claimed to be outstanding in the new release, connected to hangs when scrolling through PDF files, and updating default locations under Applications. These may be resolved by the time v10.5.2 is distributed to the public.

by MacNN Staff





  1. Feathers

    Joined: Dec 1969


    ready for the wild?

    Guess this Leopard still isn't quite ready for the wild. Amazing what companies will ship just to meet promised deadlines. A reaffirmation of the old adage that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Would have been much nicer if Apple had got things right before releasing this big cat on an unsuspecting public. Meeoowww!

  1. kdogg73

    Joined: Dec 1969



    I guess it won't be coming on a floppy. :(

  1. Faceplant

    Joined: Dec 1969


    The Only Problem...

    They did not say that it would be snappier. I gotta have more snap! I have a fever. And the only cure is More SNAP!

  1. TheSnarkmeister

    Joined: Dec 1969



    I would hope it would be large. As nice as it is too look at, Leopard was by far the buggiest shipped product from Apple in many years. Now we are going to find out just how much longer it would have taken to have shipped it right the first time. At least they are getting this out the door within a few months. Apple is still head and shoulders above MS when it comes to quality and scheduling.

  1. iChick

    Joined: Dec 1969



    sync has some issues that need to be fixed, too.

  1. Athens

    Joined: Dec 1969



    And where is Vista's SP1? I think that was stalled yet again.

  1. Chris Hutcheson

    Joined: Dec 1969


    Camera Raw

    Hopefully it will also include updates to its list of supported cameras - the Canon G9 specifically, and I'm sure No=ikon users would appreciate D3/300 compatibility.

  1. Tanker10a

    Joined: Dec 1969



    Don't get me started with Synchronization. Since All these issues are being addressed, let us hope that there is a Synch capable of connecting the iphone for other synchronization besides the iLife Suite.

  1. bradpdx

    Joined: Dec 1969


    Perfect won't happen

    There will never, ever be a release of a complex system of software (like an OS) that is without bugs and issues. Never. It is a mathematical impossibility.

    That said, most of the problems with Leopard concern third party products and affect small percentages of users. The question of whether or not to release is always "gray" because the team/company/individual always knows that imperfections exist. The conflict is then one of overall benefit to your customer base and your enterprise: release or wait, which works out best?

    When the tipping point is reached, you release. And you know that some folks will complain. Perhaps only 2% of your customers use product X which breaks with your update, but the update helps the other 98%. Nonetheless, those 2% will invariably behave as though a great wrong has been perpetrated against the whole, and that ain't so.

    10.5.1 is working very well for me, and I look forward to 10.5.2. No point in mentioning my little issues!

  1. climacs

    Joined: Dec 1969


    what? no testudo trolling

    hmmm. I guess trolls got the day off today.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.


Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook


Most Popular


Recent Reviews

Polk Hinge Wireless headphones

Polk, a company well-established in the audio market, recently released a new set of headphones aimed at the lifestyle market. The Hin ...

Blue Yeti Studio

Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...

ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector

Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...


Most Commented