Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
iPhone on Telstra
Representing one of the most significant milestones in the race to completely unlock the iPhone, a user has been able to successfully register the device with and make calls on Australia's Telstra network. He's posted a YouTube video demonstration of the semi-unlocked phone in action. The hack was accomplished by modifying the iPhone's default SIM card to be recognized as an AT&T SIM, while actually containing data that allows it to be accepted by Telstra. There are still some significant limitations, however. While the hacked phone can make calls on the Telstra network, it cannot receive them. Also, SMS text messages cannot be sent or received. In the video, ozbimmer demonstrates placing a custom SIM card (that contains data from both the AT&T and Telstra SIM cards) in the iPhone and making a phone call to his voicemail account.
Sony VAIO SZ6 Series
Without a formal announcement, Sony has just introduced its SZ6-series notebooks to the US. The 13.3-inch, carbon fiber system receives an upgrade to Intel's Santa Rosa technology and continues Sony's recent practice of packing as much performance into the small chassis as possible; most models ship with a minimum 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo on an 800MHz bus and always include draft 802.11n Wi-Fi. The SZ's trademark Hybrid Graphics system also receives a major upgrade on both sides, the company says. A dedicated Geforce 8400M GS graphics chip provides relatively fast 3D for Vista Business and games, but can be switched to Intel's newer X3100 graphics for slower but more battery-efficient graphics to extend running time as long as 4.5 hours in actual use.
Home automation fans have been getting their fair share of gadgets and accessories in the last few years. Starting with light bulbs an ...Razer Kraken Pro headset
Gaming headphones are a challenge to get right, for a long list of reasons that are unique to the consumer buying them. Some shoppers ...Patriot Aero Wireless Mobile Drive
Regardless of how large a tablet you buy, you always want more space. There's always one more movie or another album you'd cram on, ...
10 Most Discussed
- House of Representatives passes municipal broadband-limiting bill - 23 replies
- EU: Apple failing to make 'true cost of apps' clear on App Store [U] - 17 replies
- Several backdoors included on every iOS device, researcher says [U] - 15 replies
- Forums: SuperDuper vs. TimeMachine debate continues - 14 replies
- Apple, IBM announce collaboration on big data, analytics apps [U] - 10 replies
- Snowden: Dropbox is 'hostile to privacy,' cloud needs zero knowledge - 9 replies
- Apple now blocking older Flash Player plug-ins, citing security flaw - 9 replies
- New iTunes 11.3 brings iTunes Extras for HD movies - 7 replies
- Apple's iPad may pose risks for people with nickel allergies - 7 replies
- New commercial debuts for MacBook Air, entitled 'Stickers' - 7 replies