Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
iPhone on Telstra
Representing one of the most significant milestones in the race to completely unlock the iPhone, a user has been able to successfully register the device with and make calls on Australia's Telstra network. He's posted a YouTube video demonstration of the semi-unlocked phone in action. The hack was accomplished by modifying the iPhone's default SIM card to be recognized as an AT&T SIM, while actually containing data that allows it to be accepted by Telstra. There are still some significant limitations, however. While the hacked phone can make calls on the Telstra network, it cannot receive them. Also, SMS text messages cannot be sent or received. In the video, ozbimmer demonstrates placing a custom SIM card (that contains data from both the AT&T and Telstra SIM cards) in the iPhone and making a phone call to his voicemail account.
Sony VAIO SZ6 Series
Without a formal announcement, Sony has just introduced its SZ6-series notebooks to the US. The 13.3-inch, carbon fiber system receives an upgrade to Intel's Santa Rosa technology and continues Sony's recent practice of packing as much performance into the small chassis as possible; most models ship with a minimum 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo on an 800MHz bus and always include draft 802.11n Wi-Fi. The SZ's trademark Hybrid Graphics system also receives a major upgrade on both sides, the company says. A dedicated Geforce 8400M GS graphics chip provides relatively fast 3D for Vista Business and games, but can be switched to Intel's newer X3100 graphics for slower but more battery-efficient graphics to extend running time as long as 4.5 hours in actual use.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones
We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...Jamstik+ MIDI Controller
For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Should Apple release a desktop computer that runs iOS? - 44 replies
- Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people - 25 replies
- Editorial: Five reasons to move to Windows - 23 replies
- Teardown of Apple Pencil reveals it is utterly unrepairable by users - 17 replies
- Cook insists converged iPad, Mac product not coming soon - 15 replies
- Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version - 9 replies
- Analysis: A tale of two companies - 9 replies
- MacNN: Five reasons to switch to Mac - 8 replies
- MacUpdate tests changes in face of challenging specialist market - 6 replies
- Gartner: Apple rises, Samsung drops in worldwide phone share - 6 replies