Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
iPhone on Telstra
Representing one of the most significant milestones in the race to completely unlock the iPhone, a user has been able to successfully register the device with and make calls on Australia's Telstra network. He's posted a YouTube video demonstration of the semi-unlocked phone in action. The hack was accomplished by modifying the iPhone's default SIM card to be recognized as an AT&T SIM, while actually containing data that allows it to be accepted by Telstra. There are still some significant limitations, however. While the hacked phone can make calls on the Telstra network, it cannot receive them. Also, SMS text messages cannot be sent or received. In the video, ozbimmer demonstrates placing a custom SIM card (that contains data from both the AT&T and Telstra SIM cards) in the iPhone and making a phone call to his voicemail account.
Sony VAIO SZ6 Series
Without a formal announcement, Sony has just introduced its SZ6-series notebooks to the US. The 13.3-inch, carbon fiber system receives an upgrade to Intel's Santa Rosa technology and continues Sony's recent practice of packing as much performance into the small chassis as possible; most models ship with a minimum 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo on an 800MHz bus and always include draft 802.11n Wi-Fi. The SZ's trademark Hybrid Graphics system also receives a major upgrade on both sides, the company says. A dedicated Geforce 8400M GS graphics chip provides relatively fast 3D for Vista Business and games, but can be switched to Intel's newer X3100 graphics for slower but more battery-efficient graphics to extend running time as long as 4.5 hours in actual use.
It is an exciting time for consumer technology, with gadgets and devices that once used to the stuff of dreams now coming to fruition. ...JBL Synchros Reflect in-ear headphones
All headphones are not created equally, especially when it comes to use during vigorous activities or workouts. Over-the-ear headphone ...Bracketron Power Flex external battery
When we're traveling or just generally out and about, we've taken to bringing a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard with us, rather than a ...
10 Most Discussed
- The Feature Thief: Apple taketh away, sometimes giveth back - 26 replies
- The Feature Thief, part one: Pages - 19 replies
- The Feature Thief, conclusion: AppleWorks and the lessons learned - 18 replies
- The Feature Thief, part three: iWeb - 16 replies
- Apple updates Watch support page, admits tattoos may be a problem - 15 replies
- The Feature Thief, part two: Final Cut Pro, iMovie, iDVD - 11 replies
- Google cuts YouTube support for older Apple TV, Google TV, iOS devices - 9 replies
- Researcher: OS X 'Rootpipe' attack fix not reliable, attacks possible - 8 replies
- Wrist tattoos may interfere with Apple Watch functions, reports say - 8 replies
- Flaw in iPad 'flight bag' software grounds AA flights [U] - 7 replies