Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
iPhone on Telstra
Representing one of the most significant milestones in the race to completely unlock the iPhone, a user has been able to successfully register the device with and make calls on Australia's Telstra network. He's posted a YouTube video demonstration of the semi-unlocked phone in action. The hack was accomplished by modifying the iPhone's default SIM card to be recognized as an AT&T SIM, while actually containing data that allows it to be accepted by Telstra. There are still some significant limitations, however. While the hacked phone can make calls on the Telstra network, it cannot receive them. Also, SMS text messages cannot be sent or received. In the video, ozbimmer demonstrates placing a custom SIM card (that contains data from both the AT&T and Telstra SIM cards) in the iPhone and making a phone call to his voicemail account.
Sony VAIO SZ6 Series
Without a formal announcement, Sony has just introduced its SZ6-series notebooks to the US. The 13.3-inch, carbon fiber system receives an upgrade to Intel's Santa Rosa technology and continues Sony's recent practice of packing as much performance into the small chassis as possible; most models ship with a minimum 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo on an 800MHz bus and always include draft 802.11n Wi-Fi. The SZ's trademark Hybrid Graphics system also receives a major upgrade on both sides, the company says. A dedicated Geforce 8400M GS graphics chip provides relatively fast 3D for Vista Business and games, but can be switched to Intel's newer X3100 graphics for slower but more battery-efficient graphics to extend running time as long as 4.5 hours in actual use.
When it comes to music on the go, consumers generally have some options to consider when looking for the best experience. While Blueto ...Pure Jongo T2 wireless speaker
Multi-room audio compatibility is a key metric for wireless sound systems these days. The entry cost into a house-spanning system can ...Logitech Z213 multimedia speakers
Desktop computer speakers sit in a weird area of limbo: many consumers have forgone the era of desktop listening for the privacy and v ...
10 Most Discussed
- Oregon Apple Store 'slur' incident being investigated - 31 replies
- Opinion: Why the Apple iWatch will succeed (Part 1) - 17 replies
- Opinion: Hachette and Amazon fight, who loses? - 12 replies
- Atlantic Magazine notes trend to Chromebooks in schools - 12 replies
- T-Mobile announces plan to throttle those abusing 'unlimited' data - 11 replies
- Judge rejects proposed $324.5M anti-poaching case settlement - 11 replies
- NewerTech accessory fools 'headless' Mac minis into turning on GPU - 9 replies
- Apple issues diversity report, promises better gender/racial balance - 8 replies
- Disney latest victim of Amazon DVD pre-order denial - 8 replies
- Skype suddenly blocks users with OS X 10.5 or earlier - 7 replies