Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
DRM-free music privacy
Apple has declined to comment on why it stores users' names and emails in its DRM-free music offered through iTunes. Earlier this week, the company officially launched its higher quality, DRM-free music with the release of iTunes 7.2, which brought a few growing pains. EMI's historic agreement with Apple removes any copyright protection on music, allowing users to playback music on virtually any device if they purchase the the more expensive DRM-free version of the song. However, now privacy advocates are beginning to question Apple's move to include the information with each song. Unlike competing services such as eMusic which offer DRM-free music without any strings attached, several sites reported that Apple embedded personal information such as a user's name and email.
SanDisk Sansa View on Hold
SanDisk is rethinking its decision to introduce the Sansa View, according to a company spokesman. The flash producer says that it wants to "re-scope" the device, which would have been the firm's first media player focused on video support. The move effectively postpones its release indefinitely, though the company's commitment to the View is still strong and that the release is a question of both a proper feature set and good timing, the spokesman says.
As 802.11ac networking begins to makes its way into more and more devices, you may find yourself considering an upgrade for your home ...D-Link DIR-510L 802.11AC travel router
Having Internet access in hotels and other similar locations used to be a miasma of connectivity issues. If Wi-Fi was available, it wa ...Ooma Office small business VoIP
Voice over IP (VoIP) services have been around for a very long time. Only recently has the implementation become a bit more robust, al ...
10 Most Discussed
- Eich's Mozilla departure induces bilateral criticism, Firefox bans - 39 replies
- Samsung seized on death of Steve Jobs to launch anti-Apple ads - 15 replies
- Apple considers 'dramatic' revamping of iTunes Music Store - 14 replies
- Email from Jobs in 2010 lays out future vision - 13 replies
- Brendan Eich steps down at Mozilla Foundation, no successor named - 13 replies
- Critical OpenSSL 'HeartBleed' bug uncovered, affects HTTPS encryption - 11 replies
- Apple opens first store in Turkey to hoopla, press, long lineups - 9 replies
- Rumor: Apple considering entry into high-definition music? [u] - 9 replies
- Campaign calls for ouster of Condoleezza Rice from Dropbox board - 8 replies
- Core iOS creator said to be leaving Apple after row with Jonathan Ive - 8 replies