Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
DRM-free music privacy
Apple has declined to comment on why it stores users' names and emails in its DRM-free music offered through iTunes. Earlier this week, the company officially launched its higher quality, DRM-free music with the release of iTunes 7.2, which brought a few growing pains. EMI's historic agreement with Apple removes any copyright protection on music, allowing users to playback music on virtually any device if they purchase the the more expensive DRM-free version of the song. However, now privacy advocates are beginning to question Apple's move to include the information with each song. Unlike competing services such as eMusic which offer DRM-free music without any strings attached, several sites reported that Apple embedded personal information such as a user's name and email.
SanDisk Sansa View on Hold
SanDisk is rethinking its decision to introduce the Sansa View, according to a company spokesman. The flash producer says that it wants to "re-scope" the device, which would have been the firm's first media player focused on video support. The move effectively postpones its release indefinitely, though the company's commitment to the View is still strong and that the release is a question of both a proper feature set and good timing, the spokesman says.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 9 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies