Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Apple forces AT&T's hand
Apple's entry into cell phone market will not only revolutionize the handset market, but is also changing the way mobile carriers do business. A new Wall Street Journal report claims that Apple has forced AT&T (Cingular)--its exclusive partner for the iPhone in the US--to "Think Different," forcing the normally heavy-handed mobile carrier to relinquish control of the development process and winning many concessions from the largest cell phone carrier in the US. The report also claims that Apple has negotiated to a deal to share a portion of the monthly revenues from subscribers, changing the way handset makers and retailers do business with mobile carriers.
Telus EVDO Rev A
Canadian cell provider Telus started the weekend by introducing the first Canadian instance of EVDO Revision A broadband. As with similar services introduced in recent months by Sprint and Verizon, the new Internet access method dramatically improves real-world speeds, particulary for uploading: while downloads vary in practice between 450 and 800Kbps, uploads are almost as quick at 300 to 400Kbps. The enhanced speed is ideal for pro photographers or others who might need to send larger files away from a Wi-Fi hotspot, Telus says.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...Typo keyboard for iPad
Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...Entry-level 27-inch Retina iMac
The 27-inch Apple iMac with 5K Retina display is already one of the best value-for-money Macs that Apple has ever released. It was som ...
10 Most Discussed
- Neil Young says he will pull music catalog from streaming services - 24 replies
- Hands On: Microsoft Word 2016 (OS X) - 20 replies
- Editorial: whatever happened to 'It Just Works?' - 18 replies
- My Stupid Fault: iCloud vs local iPhone backups - 12 replies
- Follow-up: Dalrymple's iTunes issues largely fixed, patch coming - 12 replies
- Pointers: Taming the Applications folder with sub-folders - 11 replies
- Pointers: Tethering to your iPhone - 11 replies
- Apple takes lid off 64-bit A8 iPod touch, now up to 128GB - 11 replies
- Cook on Apple Watch: no numbers, but recent claims wrong - 10 replies
- Senator Franken, Consumer Watchdog call for App Store investigation - 9 replies