Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Apple forces AT&T's hand
Apple's entry into cell phone market will not only revolutionize the handset market, but is also changing the way mobile carriers do business. A new Wall Street Journal report claims that Apple has forced AT&T (Cingular)--its exclusive partner for the iPhone in the US--to "Think Different," forcing the normally heavy-handed mobile carrier to relinquish control of the development process and winning many concessions from the largest cell phone carrier in the US. The report also claims that Apple has negotiated to a deal to share a portion of the monthly revenues from subscribers, changing the way handset makers and retailers do business with mobile carriers.
Telus EVDO Rev A
Canadian cell provider Telus started the weekend by introducing the first Canadian instance of EVDO Revision A broadband. As with similar services introduced in recent months by Sprint and Verizon, the new Internet access method dramatically improves real-world speeds, particulary for uploading: while downloads vary in practice between 450 and 800Kbps, uploads are almost as quick at 300 to 400Kbps. The enhanced speed is ideal for pro photographers or others who might need to send larger files away from a Wi-Fi hotspot, Telus says.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Polk, a company well-established in the audio market, recently released a new set of headphones aimed at the lifestyle market. The Hin ...Blue Yeti Studio
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...
10 Most Discussed
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan released to public - 24 replies
- Editorial: In defense of the 16GB iPhone 6s - 14 replies
- Five reasons to update to El Capitan - 14 replies
- Apple purging XcodeGhost-afflicted apps, Angry Birds 2 among infected - 12 replies
- Apple pulls iFixit developer credentials over Apple TV teardown - 12 replies
- Songwriter criticizes low royalty payments from streaming services - 11 replies
- Security flaw in iOS 9 discovered, could expose photos, contacts - 11 replies
- Apple warning developers about new Chinese, Japanese taxes - 10 replies
- Amazon to sellers: Apple TV, Chromecast no longer welcome - 10 replies
- Follow-up: Sorkin apologizes for remarks against Cook - 9 replies