Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Omnifone iTunes Rival
The young British firm Omnifone opened the 3GSM expo in Barcelona tonight with MusicStation, a software and service combination the newcomer hopes can directly challenge both iTunes and its connection to the iPhone. Central to the design is a consciously iPod-influenced jukebox program, the company said. Installing on top of any Java or Symbian phone, regardless of carrier, the software is built to recreate the experience of both a dedicated portable music player as well as an online store. The extra layer will give an iPhone-like experience without the absolute need for a computer, Omnifone claimed.
The platform also differs from most phone-based music stores by relying solely on a weekly subscription model that adapts to the user's tastes. In addition to offering unlimited downloads in a protected eAAC+ format, MusicStation said the service will automatically recommend concerts, music, and news based on listening habits. Social networking with friend, song rankings, and shared playlists will also be part of the standard service, which has music from all the major labels as well as independents.
Five years ago, we thought that by the end of 2013 there'd be a bigger market for e-book readers. Then, along came the tablet that Jo ...Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M6G eSATA array
Regardless of what Cupertino would like us to believe with the new cylindrical Mac Pro, there are needs for vast amounts of hard-drive ...iHome Bluetooth iB75 Wireless Sports Earphone
Finding a good pair of headphones for a midnight jog is hard. An over the ear set is either flopping around on your head, falling off, ...
10 Most Discussed
- 'Security reasons' keep Obama from having iPhone - 16 replies
- New Android ioPhone mimics Apple's iPhone 5c style - 15 replies
- Apple signals end of Snow Leopard support with Safari snub? - 13 replies
- Rumor: Microsoft to take on iPad mini with 1080p Surface mini - 12 replies
- Apple updates plans for Union Square SF store, will preserve fountain - 10 replies
- New York City building out free Wi-Fi network in portions of Harlem - 10 replies
- Report: Apple's 64-bit A7 chip 'stunned' the chipmaking industry - 8 replies
- Carl Icahn files official shareholder proposal with Apple [u] - 8 replies
- Apple debuts 90-second holiday TV ad, 'Misunderstood' - 8 replies
- Apple's Tim Cook accepts award at Auburn, pushes for equality - 7 replies