Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Omnifone iTunes Rival
The young British firm Omnifone opened the 3GSM expo in Barcelona tonight with MusicStation, a software and service combination the newcomer hopes can directly challenge both iTunes and its connection to the iPhone. Central to the design is a consciously iPod-influenced jukebox program, the company said. Installing on top of any Java or Symbian phone, regardless of carrier, the software is built to recreate the experience of both a dedicated portable music player as well as an online store. The extra layer will give an iPhone-like experience without the absolute need for a computer, Omnifone claimed.
The platform also differs from most phone-based music stores by relying solely on a weekly subscription model that adapts to the user's tastes. In addition to offering unlimited downloads in a protected eAAC+ format, MusicStation said the service will automatically recommend concerts, music, and news based on listening habits. Social networking with friend, song rankings, and shared playlists will also be part of the standard service, which has music from all the major labels as well as independents.
We reviewed the Omni Group's most famous Mac software, a To Do app called OmniFocus, back in June 2014, and we were impressed. Some o ...Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 projector
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...Thecus N2310 NAS
For every computer user, there comes a point of critical mass in data storage. When it hits, external hard drives, USB sticks and DVD ...
10 Most Discussed
- FCC approves net neutrality, Title II proposal in 3-2 vote - 31 replies
- Opponents, supporters of FCC Net Neutrality, Title II vote speak out - 14 replies
- Apple on the hook for $533M lawsuit payout over in-app purchase tech - 12 replies
- Apple tipsters claim Apple electric minivan in the works - 12 replies
- First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts - 10 replies
- Hands On: Records 1.0 (OS X) - 8 replies
- Editorial: iCar or Apple moonshot? - 8 replies
- Apple launches video repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros - 8 replies
- Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May - 7 replies
- Apple investing $1.9 billion in two new European data centers - 7 replies