Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Omnifone iTunes Rival
The young British firm Omnifone opened the 3GSM expo in Barcelona tonight with MusicStation, a software and service combination the newcomer hopes can directly challenge both iTunes and its connection to the iPhone. Central to the design is a consciously iPod-influenced jukebox program, the company said. Installing on top of any Java or Symbian phone, regardless of carrier, the software is built to recreate the experience of both a dedicated portable music player as well as an online store. The extra layer will give an iPhone-like experience without the absolute need for a computer, Omnifone claimed.
The platform also differs from most phone-based music stores by relying solely on a weekly subscription model that adapts to the user's tastes. In addition to offering unlimited downloads in a protected eAAC+ format, MusicStation said the service will automatically recommend concerts, music, and news based on listening habits. Social networking with friend, song rankings, and shared playlists will also be part of the standard service, which has music from all the major labels as well as independents.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Perhaps you've already seen our review of the Dotti LED display from Witti Design. Meet Notti, Dotti's "sibling". Notti is a softb ...Seagate Personal Cloud (2-Bay)
When it comes to backing up files, many users are now looking to the myriad of cloud storage solutions available. There is no doubt th ...Leitz Icon Label Printer
When you say the words "label printer" to people, they either just really don't care, or they get incredibly excited. This is one o ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Where is my Apple Watch? - 12 replies
- First Look: Microsoft Surface 3 - 8 replies
- Oculus outlines Rift PC requirements, stops OS X, Linux development - 7 replies
- Apple, Leica working to resolve bug that could corrupt Photos library - 6 replies
- Microsoft reveals six versions of Windows 10 inbound this summer - 6 replies
- Verizon, Sprint agree to pay $158M settlement with FCC over 'cramming' - 5 replies
- Apple rolls out Force Touch 15-inch MacBook Pro, new Retina iMac - 5 replies
- Pointers: Make 'Hey Siri' work on Apple Watch - 5 replies
- Pointers: Mastering the OS X Dock - 5 replies
- Review: FileMaker Pro 14 (OS X, iOS, Windows) - 5 replies