Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Forums January 27
Forums roundup: Members are discussing various reports by fellow members regarding sudden shutdowns of MacBook Pros before any low battery warnings or protective sleep.... Other users are discussing the what laptop a user should purchase who is stuck between buying a MacBook or MacBook Pro.... One user who was on the hunt note taking application has returned to his thread, this time finding the app he wanted.... Other members are also giving advice to a new-to-Mac user as to the best deal for MacBook RAM and the reliability of some vendors.... Meanwhile, one member is questioning members as to how long they will wait before buying an iPhone.
IBM and Intel 45nm Tech
IBM and Intel today separately revealed a new chip process that should dramatically improve the performance of CPUs as soon as this year, according to Reuters. Called high-K metal gate, the technology replaces materials long used in chips until today, replacing the silicon of a given chip transistor's dielectric and gate with hafnium and other metals. The result is the ability to shrink chips from 65 to 45 nanometers with far less of electricity leaks that waste heat and performance. This has the potential not only to boost speed in the near-term but also for years ahead, both semiconductor makers said.
Intel added to the announcement by demonstrating a faster Core 2 Duo processor using the 45nm process. Codenamed "Penryn," the new CPU (pictured) uses the extra space to boost the second-level cache per core by 50 percent, jumping from 4MB to 6MB. A new set of processor instructions dubbed SSE4 will also help with media decoding. Although Penryn is expected to arrive in production systems only towards the end of 2007, the processor has already been demonstrated running multiple operating systems -- including Mac OS X, the company said.
Read through for details of IBM's anticipated use of 45nm chips.
When Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover first came out, it caused something of a minor stir in the iPad world. It was the very firs ...Akitio Thunder dock
Akitio has expanded its line of Thunderbolt accessories with its new Thunder dock. With eSATA, FireWire 800, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt p ...Pioneer AppRadio 3 with CD/DVD
Lots of cars come with robust stereo systems full of evolving technologies to give people the convenience of a smartphone on their das ...
10 Most Discussed
- New suit says Apple Store POS devices discriminate against blind - 28 replies
- Mt. Gox admits Bitcoin loss in hack, files for bankruptcy in Japan - 23 replies
- Apple CEO Tim Cook refutes investor call for 'profits above all' - 19 replies
- Report: OS X 10.9.2 puts Mail back on track at last - 16 replies
- Netflix forges agreement with Comcast to end video speed throttling - 14 replies
- Apple handling 40B iMessages, 15-20M FaceTime calls daily - 13 replies
- Apple urges Arizona governor to veto anti-gay bill - 12 replies
- Architect of Apple Campus 2 reveals Jobs' influence - 10 replies
- Report: Apple dodged taxes on $8.9B in Australian profits - 9 replies
- Bitcoin-stealing trojan makes jump to popular Mac apps - 8 replies