Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
XFX Overclocked GF 8800
Board manufacturer XFX said late Friday that it will be the first video card producer to release factory-overclocked GeForce 8800 models. Both the range-topping 8800 GTX XXX and more mainstream 8800 GTS XXX have received NVIDIA's blessing to run at core and memory speeds well above default, boosting performance without requiring improved cooling. The former model sees its core increase from 575MHz to 630MHz, while its memory is increased to an effective 2GHz; the GTS variant, in turn, steps up from 500MHz to 550MHz for the main processor and from 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz for memory.
The company says it has tuned the BIOS of each card for enhanced performance, although it doesn't elaborate on improvements beyond the recognition of the cards' higher stock speeds. Other aspects of the hardware remain untouched and include dual, dual-link DVI connectors with HDCP encryption support. The XXX-series cards will ship soon, XFX says, at premium prices of $650 for the flagship GTX model and $500 for the GTS.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 8 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies