updated 03:00 pm EST, Wed November 8, 2006
OpenBase SQL 10.0 ships
OpenBase International today began shipping OpenBase SQL 10.0, the latest revision of its fault-tolerant database engine. OpenBase 10 offers significantly enhanced performance, development and deployment capabilities, including: bundled OpenBase Forms and Form Designer software simplifying database input form design; new SQL features; an AppleScript interface; REALbasic Connectivity Module; advanced WebObjects plug-in; Universal Binary support; Ruby on Rails support; new PHP5 module; and new APIs (Application Program Interfaces). The company also released OpenBase SQL Solo, a new free single-server license local access version of OpenBase SQL 10. OpenBase SQL licenses start from $500, and upgrades are available to existing license holders.
OpenBase SQL 10 is one of the first databases to deliver full support for Universal Binaries for REALbasic versions that support multiple architectures, according to OpenBase. The software comes with a bundled copy of Code Builder, the code generation system for creating object persistence in REALbasic, to offers users an enhanced development environment. "We put OpenBase SQL 10 at the heart of Xsilva LightSpeed, our next-generation Point-of-Sale system for Mac OS X built on REALbasic," said Dax Dasilva, CEO of Xsilva Systems. "Our customers are thrilled by the power and performance-especially those running on Apple's new Intel hardware."
FileMaker2OpenBase software, which converts FileMaker databases to OpenBase SQL, is also updated to support the latest versions of FileMaker to the process of converting FileMaker data sets and taking advantage of OpenBase SQL FileMaker user. OpenBase also announced that it will provide 64-bit builds of OpenBase SQL for all 64-bit architectures in the near future.
New capabilities in the latest version of OpenBase SQL include:
- Bundled Forms and Form Designer - OpenBase Forms, Form Designer and Wizard software is bundled into all Commercial OpenBase SQL 10 licenses, allowing users to quickly build fully functional database interfaces.
- Enhanced performance and less memory - Applications run faster and require less memory, especially when evaluating complex queries and sub-queries, according to OpenBase, with some operations running 70 times faster.
- Native AppleScript Result Sets - AppleScript applications can execute SQL and fetch database results natively.
- New and Updated Interfaces: Automator Actions, PHP5, Omnis DAM, Ruby on Rails, REALbasic Connectivity Module, Universal Binary APIs, Java 1.5 JDBC, enhanced WebObjects Plug-in, and more.
- New SQL Features: ANSI SQL Join syntax, enhanced VIEWs, server-side variables, INSERT INTO SELECT, REPLACE INTO, and more.
- Stored Procedure Languages: OpenScript 3.0, Objective-C, Java, REALbasic, and F-Script stored procedures.
- Server-side Cursors - Caching a query result on the server, which is incrementally navigated, reduces the need to return entire result sets to client applications.
- REALbasic Connectivity Module - Written using 100 percent REALbasic code, the module mimics standard REALbasic database APIs to provide complete cross-platform and Universal Binary support for REALbasic applications. The module also supports advanced OpenBase features, such as Application Change Notification.
- Bundled Code Builder for REALbasic - A REALbasic code generation system that creates persistent objects and effective database management, using standard REALbasic APIs. The tool is included for free.
- On-Target Reports - Bundled with OpenBase SQL Solo licenses, the tool greatly simplifies building reports from database data.
New licensing, bundled software
- Free OpenBase Solo - A local-access OpenBase SQL version offering unrestricted throughput for applications and Web-servers requiring local database access, which is available at no charge. OpenBase Solo comes with developer tools and a free license to On-Target Reports.
- Free OpenBase Unlimited for REALbasic - A unlimited-user license for REALbasic developers to provide unrestricted access when using the OpenBase Connectivity Module for REALbasic. OpenBase Unlimited for REALbasic also includes Code Builder and a free license to On-Target Reports.
- OpenBase Network 5, Network 25 and Network Unlimited commercial licenses - New licenses featuring a bundled copy of Form Designer, automated backups, and support for all commercial tools that come with OpenBase SQL.
- OpenBase Forms and Form Designer - Software bundled into OpenBase SQL 10 designed to enable developers to quickly create data input and management forms that complement Web applications. OpenBase Forms and Form Designer use a unique hierarchical "storyboard panel" approach to organizing information, according to the company, that helps users find what they need. Both OpenBase Forms and Form Designer are compiled as Universal Binaries for Mac OS X to run natively on Intel-based Macs.