Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Psile Media Silent PC
Small form factor Windows PCs are easy to find, yet many of them share the same fundamental designs and are rarely tailor-made for a special role. The Psile Media Silent PC, built by silent computer specialist CoolTechPC, is an exception that is clearly dedicated to its home theater role. Like the Mac mini, the Psile has a minimalist case that removes as many fans and heat sources as possible: even the power supply is not the common SFF unit but an external brick.
The similarities end when it comes to performance, however. The CoolTechPC system has grown in size compared to Apple's computer and makes good use of the extra space, as a 320GB hard drive and a TV tuner are basic components. Upgrading the stock 1.83GHz Core Duo to a 2.16GHz version is equally possible for those who want extra performance for HD video. Style enthusiasts may also appreciate the option of custom case skins to reflect their tastes. CoolTechPC ships the system in standard trim with a wireless keyboard, mouse, and remote for $1699.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- New Foxconn robots too imprecise for Apple products, report claims - 8 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 7 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies
- Ex-Apple engineer testifies on project to block non-iTunes clients [u] - 6 replies