toggle

AAPL Stock: 94.72 ( + 0.78 )

Printed from http://www.macnn.com

Major League pulls podcasts from iTunes

updated 10:50 am EDT, Wed September 27, 2006

MLB pulls iTunes podcasts

Major League Baseball's internet arm has withdrawn podcast clips of baseball games from Apple's iTunes Music Store to increase its control over how games are displayed online. Apple will likely see little to no effect financially as a result of the games removal, but the move shows the unease that some digital content providers have with Apple's growing digital media presence, according to the Wall Street Journal. The league last week asked that Apple remove all promotions for its podcasts from iTunes, according to chief executive of Major League Baseball Advance Media's internet arm Bob Bowman. The executive said the decision was influenced by the league's lack of control in promoting its podcasts on iTunes, and that Apple declined a request to grant Major League Baseball podcasts better visibility on its iTunes service.

Apple also refused to give the league control over where promotions for its podcasts would appear on iTunes, resulting in league content displayed adjacent to podcasts from individual baseball fans, according to the report.

"That may sound immaterial, but again the brand is very important to us," said Bowman.

The league serves up roughly 75 percent of its 40,000 to 50,000 podcast downloads from its own website, making the decision to pull its podcasts from Apple's iTunes less inhibiting. The league hopes the remaining 25 percent who formerly used iTunes to download its podcasts will begin downloading baseball podcasts through its own website. Additionally, the league is increasing the amount of free content available for iPod owners, including new "clincher" videos which will display condensed versions major-league teams seizing positions in the playoffs.

"We respect Apple and iTunes -- we all carry iPods ourselves -- but we think, in the long run, our fans will be better served on MLB.com," Bowman said.




by MacNN Staff

POST TOOLS:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

  1. jakengracey

    Joined: Dec 1969

    0

    Evil Steve rears his head

    Dateline Pago-Pago

    After having been successfully banished from Cupertino, CA to live for eternity chained to a large boulder under an extinct volcano on the tropical island of Pago-Pago, it seems Evil Steve, the megalomaniacal evil twin of Steve Jobs, has surfaced once more in California.

    Witness describe Evil Steve muttering, "it's mine and I don't care if you have paid money, it's my company and my rules, and your stinkin' content will go where I say. Now please go F-off."

  1. jakengracey

    Joined: Dec 1969

    0

    Evil Steve rears his head

    That would be on the island of Tutuila. my bad

  1. smitch

    Joined: Dec 1969

    0

    What!! MLB not in control

    Wait a minute! Podcasts were born out of grassroot movement NOT a commercial entity! There is NO control freak business quite like MLB! I get SO tired of their dadgum ad digitally inserted into the home plate pitcher's mound view... just one example of their control of the minutest detail of their 'business.' Who do they think they are anyway? If it wasn't for those LITTLE podcasts guys they don't want to rub shoulders with, the MLB podcasts probably wouldn't have ever existed! I love baseball, but I HATE the MLB corporate entity! They are the REAL control freaks! I for one will boycott their web site podcasts from now on.

  1. mgescuro

    Joined: Dec 1969

    0

    Not that Disappointing

    Well, I didn't bother with the MLB podcasts because I really only focus on one team. However, MLB should consider selling games through iTUnes.

    I love baseball. Actually, I'm a rabid fan. I even subscribe to MLB.tv at $100 a year, just so I can watch out of market games. However, $4 to download and play a game? And be able to play it only on a PC... and only on bulky Microsoft video players?? That's unacceptable.

    Come on Mr. Selig. Get with the program. I'd gladly pay for some of the games. Just not through MLB.com with its hokey and relatively unstable implementation.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

MacNN Sponsor

Recent Reviews

D-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug

Home automation fans have been getting their fair share of gadgets and accessories in the last few years. Starting with light bulbs, a ...

Razer Kraken Pro headset

Gaming headphones are a challenge to get right, for a long list of reasons that are unique to the consumer buying them. Some shoppers ...

Patriot Aero Wireless Mobile Drive

Regardless of how large a tablet you buy, you always want more space. There's always one more movie or another album you'd cram on, ...

toggle

Most Commented