Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
MySpace Music Store
The popular social networking site MySpace says it will be the latest to open a direct-download music store, according to Reuters. The web-based service, an offshoot of MySpace Music, hopes that its access to 106 million existing MySpace users will give it an early advantage and offer a serious challenge to Apple. "Everyone we've spoken to definitely wants an alternative to iTunes and the iPod. MySpace could be that alternative," says MySpace's Chris DeWolfe. Unlike most other services' attempts to compete in the digital music arena, MySpace promises flexibility: songs can be sold either through the main portal or on the user pages of artists and fans alike. MySpace will not dictate pricing but rather charge a distribution fee and leave the remaining pricing up to artists on MySpace, most of whom are independents currently unsigned to labels. Songs will be available in an unrestricted MP3 format that ensures compatibility with the iPod and other music players.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME
When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...Wren V5US Wireless Sound System
If you're a music fanatic, chances are you are, by extension, a bit fanatical about what you listen to your music on. If you're like ...
10 Most Discussed
- Bad Apples: the worst Mac products ever - 33 replies
- MacNN Staffers: What made the Mac the choice for you? - 16 replies
- Swatch CEO outlines smartwatch plans, calls Apple Watch 'toy' - 14 replies
- Apple Music subscriptions kill ALAC playback on iOS - 13 replies
- Continued iTunes library testing: all is still not well, but improving - 9 replies
- My Stupid Fault: don't look back in anger - 8 replies
- Rumor Roundup: high resolution iPad in ad analytics, possible stylus - 8 replies
- Hands On: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 8 replies
- Survey: six weeks on, Apple Music shows good news, bad news [U] - 7 replies
- Appeals court opens door to FTC oversight of corporate cyber security - 6 replies