updated 10:00 am EST, Wed March 29, 2006
NI offers Kore details
Native Instruments today offered more details on Kore, which it says is the world's first Universal Sound Platform. Announced earlier this year and due in stores soon, the system is touted as "a new kind of host system for software instruments and effects [that] has been specifically developed to increase the efficiency, flexibility and ease of working with music software in the studio and on stage." Kore is an integrated system consisting of a host software for VST and Audio Units plug-ins, and a tightly integrated hardware controller that includes a professional USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interface. It can be used both as a standalone instrument host as well as a plug-in within any Audio Units, VST and RTAS compatible sequencer program. All major functions of the system can be controlled without the need to touch or even see the computer that runs the software, according to the company. The software is due in early May for $580/€500.
"Kore was designed to address several crucial aspects of functionality, integration and ease of use that are present after ten years of evolution in software instrument technology,' the company said. NI said that that the concept focuses on six key aspects that benefit both live performance and music production:
- to allow musicians and producers to operate all plug-ins through a unified, consistent interface, reducing the need to adapt to a wide range of different usability concepts;
- to find the desired sound quickly in every situation, even within massive preset libraries;
- to control software instrument with spontaneous and intuitive hands-on control that is similar to the best hardware instruments;
- to fully utilize the capabilities of software instruments on stage with a wide range of advanced performances features;
- to move and transfer even complex instruments and effects setups between different platforms and systems without compatibility problems; and
- to make use of the true sonic potential of software instruments that becomes available due to the new level of integration and combination that KORE offers.