Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire in iPod nano
Apple's new iPod nano doesn't support FireWire connections for syncing songs, although it uses the same dock connector as previous generation iPods. The FireWire dock connector cable, however, does recharge the device, according to CNET News.com. Noting a shift away from the FireWire standard which Apple pioneered, the report says that the iPod nano displays a warning message when trying to use a FireWire dock connector cable with the device: "FireWire connections are not supported. To transfer songs connect the USB cable provided." As noted, Apple launched the original iPod with a FireWire-only interface and then added USB 2.0 support when the device became compatible with Windows-based PCs, but later only offered USB 2.0 cables with the devices. Apple then only offered a USB 2.0 connection on the iPod shuffle, Apple's entry-level MP3 player: "It's a bummer for folks like me that have an older Mac that has a FireWire port, but only a slower USB 1.1 port. To Apple's credit, the Nano's incredibly small size and good looks might just make it worth suffering through slower downloads."
It seems like no matter how much internal storage is included today's mobile devices, we, as users, will always find a way to fill th ...Brother HL-L8250CDN Color Laser Printer
When it comes to selecting a printer, the process is not exactly something most people put a lot of thought into. Printers are often t ...Moshi iVisor AG and XT for iPad Air 2
Have you ever tried to put in a screen protector that relies on static to cling to the screen? How many bubbles and wrinkles does it h ...
10 Most Discussed
- In with the new: USB-C connector on new MacBook explained - 19 replies
- Latest MacBooks drop Windows 7 compatibility in Boot Camp - 18 replies
- Apple executives participate in, praise 'Becoming Steve Jobs' bio - 12 replies
- Briefly: Apple TV gains new channels, Pro Tools 12 changes pricing - 10 replies
- Legal barrage launched over FCC Open Internet regulation in DC courts - 10 replies
- Apple Watch: how Apple Stores will handle the debut - 10 replies
- Hands On: Fantastical 2 (OS X) - 9 replies
- Hands On: Downcast 2.8.28 (iOS) - 8 replies
- Pointers: 1Password tricks (OS X, iOS) - 8 replies
- Review: Becoming Steve Jobs - 7 replies