Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire in iPod nano
Apple's new iPod nano doesn't support FireWire connections for syncing songs, although it uses the same dock connector as previous generation iPods. The FireWire dock connector cable, however, does recharge the device, according to CNET News.com. Noting a shift away from the FireWire standard which Apple pioneered, the report says that the iPod nano displays a warning message when trying to use a FireWire dock connector cable with the device: "FireWire connections are not supported. To transfer songs connect the USB cable provided." As noted, Apple launched the original iPod with a FireWire-only interface and then added USB 2.0 support when the device became compatible with Windows-based PCs, but later only offered USB 2.0 cables with the devices. Apple then only offered a USB 2.0 connection on the iPod shuffle, Apple's entry-level MP3 player: "It's a bummer for folks like me that have an older Mac that has a FireWire port, but only a slower USB 1.1 port. To Apple's credit, the Nano's incredibly small size and good looks might just make it worth suffering through slower downloads."
When Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover first came out, it caused something of a minor stir in the iPad world. It was the very firs ...Akitio Thunder dock
Akitio has expanded its line of Thunderbolt accessories with its new Thunder dock. With eSATA, FireWire 800, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt p ...Pioneer AppRadio 3 with CD/DVD
Lots of cars come with robust stereo systems full of evolving technologies to give people the convenience of a smartphone on their das ...
10 Most Discussed
- New suit says Apple Store POS devices discriminate against blind - 28 replies
- Mt. Gox admits Bitcoin loss in hack, files for bankruptcy in Japan - 23 replies
- Apple CEO Tim Cook refutes investor call for 'profits above all' - 19 replies
- Report: OS X 10.9.2 puts Mail back on track at last - 16 replies
- Apple handling 40B iMessages, 15-20M FaceTime calls daily - 13 replies
- Apple urges Arizona governor to veto anti-gay bill - 12 replies
- Architect of Apple Campus 2 reveals Jobs' influence - 10 replies
- Report: Apple dodged taxes on $8.9B in Australian profits - 9 replies
- Yahoo shifting away from Google, Facebook login credentials - 8 replies
- Bitcoin-stealing trojan makes jump to popular Mac apps - 8 replies