Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire in iPod nano
Apple's new iPod nano doesn't support FireWire connections for syncing songs, although it uses the same dock connector as previous generation iPods. The FireWire dock connector cable, however, does recharge the device, according to CNET News.com. Noting a shift away from the FireWire standard which Apple pioneered, the report says that the iPod nano displays a warning message when trying to use a FireWire dock connector cable with the device: "FireWire connections are not supported. To transfer songs connect the USB cable provided." As noted, Apple launched the original iPod with a FireWire-only interface and then added USB 2.0 support when the device became compatible with Windows-based PCs, but later only offered USB 2.0 cables with the devices. Apple then only offered a USB 2.0 connection on the iPod shuffle, Apple's entry-level MP3 player: "It's a bummer for folks like me that have an older Mac that has a FireWire port, but only a slower USB 1.1 port. To Apple's credit, the Nano's incredibly small size and good looks might just make it worth suffering through slower downloads."
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Polk, a company well-established in the audio market, recently released a new set of headphones aimed at the lifestyle market. The Hin ...Blue Yeti Studio
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...
10 Most Discussed
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan released to public - 24 replies
- Editorial: In defense of the 16GB iPhone 6s - 14 replies
- Five reasons to update to El Capitan - 13 replies
- Apple purging XcodeGhost-afflicted apps, Angry Birds 2 among infected - 12 replies
- Apple pulls iFixit developer credentials over Apple TV teardown - 12 replies
- Songwriter criticizes low royalty payments from streaming services - 11 replies
- Security flaw in iOS 9 discovered, could expose photos, contacts - 11 replies
- Apple warning developers about new Chinese, Japanese taxes - 10 replies
- Amazon to sellers: Apple TV, Chromecast no longer welcome - 10 replies
- Follow-up: Sorkin apologizes for remarks against Cook - 9 replies