Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire in iPod nano
Apple's new iPod nano doesn't support FireWire connections for syncing songs, although it uses the same dock connector as previous generation iPods. The FireWire dock connector cable, however, does recharge the device, according to CNET News.com. Noting a shift away from the FireWire standard which Apple pioneered, the report says that the iPod nano displays a warning message when trying to use a FireWire dock connector cable with the device: "FireWire connections are not supported. To transfer songs connect the USB cable provided." As noted, Apple launched the original iPod with a FireWire-only interface and then added USB 2.0 support when the device became compatible with Windows-based PCs, but later only offered USB 2.0 cables with the devices. Apple then only offered a USB 2.0 connection on the iPod shuffle, Apple's entry-level MP3 player: "It's a bummer for folks like me that have an older Mac that has a FireWire port, but only a slower USB 1.1 port. To Apple's credit, the Nano's incredibly small size and good looks might just make it worth suffering through slower downloads."
With over-the-top content options growing past Hulu and Netflix, consumers may be finding it harder to justify paying a monthly fee fo ...Sound Blaster Roar Bluetooth speaker
There could very well be a new king of the hill for Bluetooth speakers, with Sound Blaster's recent entry into the marketplace. Bring ...Kenu Airframe Plus
Simple, stylish and effective, the Kenu Airframe + portable car mount is the latest addition to Kenu's lineup. Released earlier this ...
10 Most Discussed
- CurrentC CEO, COO field questions about data breach, Apple Pay block - 23 replies
- CVS throws in with Rite Aid, blocks Apple Pay and Google Wallet - 22 replies
- Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out as gay in new essay - 17 replies
- Apple responds to CVS, Rite Aid blocking Apple Pay - 17 replies
- CurrentC payment system customer emails stolen - 14 replies
- Editorial: In defense of the new $499 Mac mini - 13 replies
- Amex web page promotes Apple Pay, adds directions for linking cards - 12 replies
- FBI director warns Apple, Google away from encrypting devices - 12 replies
- Obama signs BuySecure executive order to hasten US EMV adoption - 12 replies
- Microsoft smartwatch touted for launch within weeks, sale soon after - 11 replies