Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Xbox 360 video clips
The clips of video games supporting Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console are running on Apple machines, Microsoft confirmed on Friday. "We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later." The new console from Microsoft is based on a similar IBM PowerPC architecture used in Apple computers--the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores.
Apple has added refurbished PowerBooks and the flat-panel iMac G4 to the Special Deals section of the Apple Store. Both 1.5GHz/combo ($1,700) and 1.67GHz/SuperDrive versions of the 15-inch PowerBook ($2,000) are available. Both include 512MB of RAM and a 80GB drive, along with a backlit keyboard, Bluetooth 2.0, and AirPort Extreme wireless connectivity. The previous-generatin 1.25GHz iMac G4 with 256MB of RAM, a 80GB drive, and a SuperDrive is $1,100. Other refurbished (and discounted) products include 23-inch Cinema display ($1,300), 30-inch Cinema Display ($2,600), dual-1.8GHz G5 ($1,500), dual-2GHz G5 ($1,650), dual-2.5GHz ($2,300), 17-inch 1.8GHz iMac G5 ($1000), and 20-inch iMac G5 ($1,400). Refurbished iPod minis ($170) are available in silver, blue, pink, and gold, while a standard 40GB iPod (with dock, carry case, belt clip, FireWire cable) is $330.
Forums roundup May 14
Forums roundup [register here]: One user has posted benchmarks for the new Power Mac G5 dual-2.7GHz.... Members discuss the merits of a "clean install" of Mac OS X over an upgrade..... iMac users discuss the new video card offerings in the iMac G5.... A security hole is threatening Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.... Users exchange opinions on what they think is the best browser for Mac OS X.... Members in the MacNN Lounge discuss the new Xbox 360 following its official debut.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...Typo keyboard for iPad
Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...Entry-level 27-inch Retina iMac
The 27-inch Apple iMac with 5K Retina display is already one of the best value-for-money Macs that Apple has ever released. It was som ...
10 Most Discussed
- Neil Young says he will pull music catalog from streaming services - 24 replies
- Hands On: Microsoft Word 2016 (OS X) - 20 replies
- Editorial: whatever happened to 'It Just Works?' - 18 replies
- My Stupid Fault: iCloud vs local iPhone backups - 12 replies
- Follow-up: Dalrymple's iTunes issues largely fixed, patch coming - 12 replies
- Apple takes lid off 64-bit A8 iPod touch, now up to 128GB - 11 replies
- Pointers: Tethering to your iPhone - 11 replies
- Pointers: Taming the Applications folder with sub-folders - 11 replies
- Cook on Apple Watch: no numbers, but recent claims wrong - 10 replies
- Senator Franken, Consumer Watchdog call for App Store investigation - 9 replies