Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Xbox 360 video clips
The clips of video games supporting Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console are running on Apple machines, Microsoft confirmed on Friday. "We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later." The new console from Microsoft is based on a similar IBM PowerPC architecture used in Apple computers--the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores.
Apple has added refurbished PowerBooks and the flat-panel iMac G4 to the Special Deals section of the Apple Store. Both 1.5GHz/combo ($1,700) and 1.67GHz/SuperDrive versions of the 15-inch PowerBook ($2,000) are available. Both include 512MB of RAM and a 80GB drive, along with a backlit keyboard, Bluetooth 2.0, and AirPort Extreme wireless connectivity. The previous-generatin 1.25GHz iMac G4 with 256MB of RAM, a 80GB drive, and a SuperDrive is $1,100. Other refurbished (and discounted) products include 23-inch Cinema display ($1,300), 30-inch Cinema Display ($2,600), dual-1.8GHz G5 ($1,500), dual-2GHz G5 ($1,650), dual-2.5GHz ($2,300), 17-inch 1.8GHz iMac G5 ($1000), and 20-inch iMac G5 ($1,400). Refurbished iPod minis ($170) are available in silver, blue, pink, and gold, while a standard 40GB iPod (with dock, carry case, belt clip, FireWire cable) is $330.
Forums roundup May 14
Forums roundup [register here]: One user has posted benchmarks for the new Power Mac G5 dual-2.7GHz.... Members discuss the merits of a "clean install" of Mac OS X over an upgrade..... iMac users discuss the new video card offerings in the iMac G5.... A security hole is threatening Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.... Users exchange opinions on what they think is the best browser for Mac OS X.... Members in the MacNN Lounge discuss the new Xbox 360 following its official debut.
The VoomBox Party by DiVoom is a 2.1 speaker system which can connect to devices via Bluetooth 4.0 or NFC. It's a bit larger than a b ...Neurio Intelligent Home Monitor
The recently released Neurio Intelligent Home Monitor is a piece of hardware that, when integrated into a home's breaker box, monitor ...Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro (Early 2015)
Although the new darling of the Apple MacBook line up is the all-new MacBook, Apple has given its popular 13-inch MacBook Pro with Ret ...
10 Most Discussed
- Hands On: Photos 1.0 (OS X) - 34 replies
- Apple patches root escalation in Yosemite, older may not see patch - 18 replies
- First Look: All-new 12-inch Apple MacBook - 18 replies
- Backup Utility Smackdown (OS X) - 17 replies
- Apple releases OS X 10.10.3, Photos for Mac, iOS 8.3 - 17 replies
- Apple updates iTunes, declares 2009 MacBook Pros obsolete - 13 replies
- Apple Watch: Pre-orders live, delays, Apple Care+ prices revealed [U] - 11 replies
- Retina 12-inch MacBook teardowns reveal low repairability - 9 replies
- Researcher: OS X 'Rootpipe' attack fix not reliable, attacks possible - 8 replies
- Pointers: don't forward your OS X Mail, redirect it - 8 replies