Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Xbox 360 video clips
The clips of video games supporting Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console are running on Apple machines, Microsoft confirmed on Friday. "We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later." The new console from Microsoft is based on a similar IBM PowerPC architecture used in Apple computers--the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores.
Apple has added refurbished PowerBooks and the flat-panel iMac G4 to the Special Deals section of the Apple Store. Both 1.5GHz/combo ($1,700) and 1.67GHz/SuperDrive versions of the 15-inch PowerBook ($2,000) are available. Both include 512MB of RAM and a 80GB drive, along with a backlit keyboard, Bluetooth 2.0, and AirPort Extreme wireless connectivity. The previous-generatin 1.25GHz iMac G4 with 256MB of RAM, a 80GB drive, and a SuperDrive is $1,100. Other refurbished (and discounted) products include 23-inch Cinema display ($1,300), 30-inch Cinema Display ($2,600), dual-1.8GHz G5 ($1,500), dual-2GHz G5 ($1,650), dual-2.5GHz ($2,300), 17-inch 1.8GHz iMac G5 ($1000), and 20-inch iMac G5 ($1,400). Refurbished iPod minis ($170) are available in silver, blue, pink, and gold, while a standard 40GB iPod (with dock, carry case, belt clip, FireWire cable) is $330.
Forums roundup May 14
Forums roundup [register here]: One user has posted benchmarks for the new Power Mac G5 dual-2.7GHz.... Members discuss the merits of a "clean install" of Mac OS X over an upgrade..... iMac users discuss the new video card offerings in the iMac G5.... A security hole is threatening Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.... Users exchange opinions on what they think is the best browser for Mac OS X.... Members in the MacNN Lounge discuss the new Xbox 360 following its official debut.
Before we get rolling, I'll confess: I've never understood the purpose of cases like the Booqpad. If you've got a tablet, surely p ...Linksys EA6900 AC Router
As 802.11ac networking begins to makes its way into more and more devices, you may find yourself considering an upgrade for your home ...D-Link DIR-510L 802.11AC travel router
Having Internet access in hotels and other similar locations used to be a miasma of connectivity issues. If Wi-Fi was available, it wa ...
10 Most Discussed
- Samsung seized on death of Steve Jobs to launch anti-Apple ads - 15 replies
- Apple considers 'dramatic' revamping of iTunes Music Store - 14 replies
- Email from Jobs in 2010 lays out future vision - 13 replies
- Mayer: Yahoo should be Apple's default search engine - 11 replies
- Critical OpenSSL 'HeartBleed' bug uncovered, affects HTTPS encryption - 11 replies
- Apple opens first store in Turkey to hoopla, press, long lineups - 9 replies
- Rumor: Apple considering entry into high-definition music? [u] - 9 replies
- Revealed: Samsung misled investors, pundits with shipments vs. sales - 8 replies
- Core iOS creator said to be leaving Apple after row with Jonathan Ive - 8 replies
- Campaign calls for ouster of Condoleezza Rice from Dropbox board - 8 replies