Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Xbox 360 video clips
The clips of video games supporting Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console are running on Apple machines, Microsoft confirmed on Friday. "We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later." The new console from Microsoft is based on a similar IBM PowerPC architecture used in Apple computers--the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores.
Apple has added refurbished PowerBooks and the flat-panel iMac G4 to the Special Deals section of the Apple Store. Both 1.5GHz/combo ($1,700) and 1.67GHz/SuperDrive versions of the 15-inch PowerBook ($2,000) are available. Both include 512MB of RAM and a 80GB drive, along with a backlit keyboard, Bluetooth 2.0, and AirPort Extreme wireless connectivity. The previous-generatin 1.25GHz iMac G4 with 256MB of RAM, a 80GB drive, and a SuperDrive is $1,100. Other refurbished (and discounted) products include 23-inch Cinema display ($1,300), 30-inch Cinema Display ($2,600), dual-1.8GHz G5 ($1,500), dual-2GHz G5 ($1,650), dual-2.5GHz ($2,300), 17-inch 1.8GHz iMac G5 ($1000), and 20-inch iMac G5 ($1,400). Refurbished iPod minis ($170) are available in silver, blue, pink, and gold, while a standard 40GB iPod (with dock, carry case, belt clip, FireWire cable) is $330.
Forums roundup May 14
Forums roundup [register here]: One user has posted benchmarks for the new Power Mac G5 dual-2.7GHz.... Members discuss the merits of a "clean install" of Mac OS X over an upgrade..... iMac users discuss the new video card offerings in the iMac G5.... A security hole is threatening Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.... Users exchange opinions on what they think is the best browser for Mac OS X.... Members in the MacNN Lounge discuss the new Xbox 360 following its official debut.
Have you ever tried to put in a screen protector that relies on static to cling to the screen? How many bubbles and wrinkles does it h ...OmniPlan (OS X, iOS)
We reviewed the Omni Group's most famous Mac software, a To Do app called OmniFocus, back in June 2014, and we were impressed. Some o ...Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 projector
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...
10 Most Discussed
- FCC approves net neutrality, Title II proposal in 3-2 vote - 31 replies
- Opponents, supporters of FCC Net Neutrality, Title II vote speak out - 14 replies
- Apple on the hook for $533M lawsuit payout over in-app purchase tech - 12 replies
- First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts - 11 replies
- Apple launches video repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros - 8 replies
- Editorial: iCar or Apple moonshot? - 8 replies
- Hands On: Records 1.0 (OS X) - 8 replies
- Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May - 7 replies
- FCC net neutrality vote today, last minute changes made to proposal - 7 replies
- Apple investing $1.9 billion in two new European data centers - 7 replies