Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
SingleCrystal for Mac OS X
CrystalMaker has released SingleCrystal 1.0 for Mac OS X, an easy-to-use program for visualizing and understanding diffraction patterns from single crystals: the laboratory technique used to solve the structures of virtually all crystalline materials. SingleCrystal's advanced display capabilities allow users to manipulate simulated diffraction patterns in real time, rotating virtual crystals with the computer mouse or toolbar tilt controls, and observing changes in diffraction. The application's screen tools allow easy measurement and indexing of reflexions, as well as the display of phase information for scattered beams. It is available now for $90 for a single-user academic version.
Forums roundup for Jan 15
Topics on the MacNN Forums today include: Several iPod-specific discussions in MacNN's new iPod section.... Ongoing discussion of Sonnet's new 1.7GHz upgrade for Power Mac G4s.... Speculation about the possibility of a G5 PowerBook, following comments made during Apple's financial conference call.... comparing the new Mac mini to the iMac.... Apple' new Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" preview videos.
Apple Store refurbs
The Apple Store has several refurbish models of the iMac G5 available, starting at $950 as well as a refurbished model of the AirPort Express for $100. Apple is offering a no modem/no optical drive/256MB/40GB version of the 17-inch 1.6GHz iMac G5 for $950 for $150 more, users can upgrade the drive to 80GB, receive a Combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive, and 56 modem. The 1.8GHz SuperDrive models are available in both 17-inc (256MB/80GB) and 20-inch models (256MB/160GB) models for $1,300 and $1,700, respectively. Apple is also offering both the dual-1.8GHz ($1,700) and dual-2.5GHz ($2,600) Power Mac G5s.
Sometimes, people need to scan things, but having a computer at hand to do so isn't exactly feasible. Maybe it's the home of a relat ...Dell AD211 Bluetooth speaker
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 12 replies
- FCC petitioned by hotels to allow disrupting guest-created hotspots - 11 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 9 replies
- Obama: Sony hack not act of war; Anonymous promises attacks on NK - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Obama wants stronger cyber-security laws in 2015 - 7 replies
- Ex-Apple engineer testifies on project to block non-iTunes clients [u] - 6 replies
- Apple rejects conclusions of BBC expose showing supply chain abuses - 6 replies
- CalDigit reveals $200 Thunderbolt Station 2 - 6 replies