Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Apple files iPod patents
Apple is trying to patent portions of the iPod user interface, according to a recent filing at the US Patent & Trademark Office (noted by Slashdot): "This one is particularly interesting because the claims are written in fairly clear and simple language, easy to understand by anyone. If this one is granted, it won't be because an overworked examineer was confused by deliberate obfuscation by the application (which is what I think happens for a lot of the ridiculous patents). About half the claims are for things that were implemented in prior players (e.g., Archos), and the other half are for things that are in many other common device interfaces (DVD players, PVRs) and the only novelty is that Apple put them on a portable music player."
New Apple promotion
Apple's new "Brilliant savings" promotion offers a $500 rebate for users who purchase any new Power Mac G5 system along with a 23-inch Cinema HD display between March 28 and June 26. Additionally, the Apple Store is offering refurbished 1.6GHz and dual-2GHz Power Mac G5s for $1,400 and $2,400, respectively, under the Special Deals section. Apple has also extended its More memory for less promotion through June 26, offering a savings of up to $700 with purchase of a Mac with custom memory configurations as well as its Every Mac needs .Mac promo, which offers a $30 rebate on its .Mac Webservices.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 9 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies