Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
K4 Publishing Tour
Managing Editor has announced the K4 Publishing System Version 5.0 U.S. Tour, which offers publishing professionals the first chance to see the new 5.0 version of K4. The K4 tour, co-sponsored by Adobe, will travel to five major cities between February and March and unveil the new standard in publishing workflow management that works with Adobe InDesign CS and InCopy CS. The locations are: New York, Washington, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles.
MacBand: music sharing
MacBand is an online directory that gives GarageBand musicians a forum to share their songs and loops. Songs are organized by category and loops are organized by genre, instrument and mood. MacBand features a rating system similar to the one built into Apple's iTunes software. The site automatically generates the top five highest rated song and loop tracks on the site. Every artist who has an account with MacBand has a personal Artist Profile page. This page lists a short biography and any other information the artist wants to release.
Reader: Pepsi code problem
A MacNN reader reports winning a free iTunes song with the purchase of a Pepsi drink, but not being able to read the code printed on the bottle cap. "The code printed on the bottle cap is distorted and smudges as you loft out the cap liner." A Pepsi customer service rep acknowledged that there is a problem with the ink used in printing the code. Customers with unreadable caps are instructed to send the cap to Pepsi for a replacement code.
Sleepless, Paid!, oXygen
- Sleepless 1.4 ($5) is a utilty that prevents your Mac from going to sleep without needing to change any system settings. The utility also allows PowerBooks to continue to run with the lid closed, although doing so can lead to heat problems in some units.
- Paid! 3.4 ($80) is a FileMaker Pro runtime database program which allows freelancers in the film and television industry to easily track Job Invoices, Clients, Crew Members, Billing Items and Project Estimates.
- oXygen XML Editor 3.1 ($74) improves the outliner, updates the DocBook stylesheets, and fixes a number of bugs with the software.
Multi Port Gigabit cards
Small Tree Communications has released its dual and quad port Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X cards for Power Mac G5 and XServe G5 systems. The Dual Port card sells for $250 and is available now, while the Quad Port will ship later this month for $550. Small Tree Communications is also an Apple Value Address Reseller that carries the full Apple product line.
UK Macworld Conference 04
Macworld UK today announced Macworld Conference 2004, a two-day event that will take place in London beginning May 17. Speakers include Deke McClelland, Jason Snell, and Andy Ihnatko, with more to be added as the date draws near. One day passes start at £125.
Apple UK growth up 25%
Apple UK grew its Q4 2003 marketshare by 25 percent year-over-year. According to IDC, Apple's desktop shipments grew 10 percent while portables jumped 50 percent. The UK PC industry as a whole grew 16.9 percent last quarter. Apple currently holds 2.3 percent of the overall UK market.
New Apple Store opens 2/13
True to a MacNN reader's observation last month, the doors to Apple's newest retail location will open February 13 at The Shops at Mission Viejo, in southern California. Usual grand opening celebrations will be offered, including T-Shirts to the first 1,000 visitors.
Speed Download, iSticky
- Speed Download 2.3 ($20) brings significant new features to the robust download manager, including optimizations for Safari 1.2, a new software updating toolbar for tracking updates to your software, and full customization of the application's interface.
- iSticky 1.1 ($16) allows users to place sticky notes on the desktops of other Macs that are connected either on a local network or over the Internet. iSticky is billed as a "full-featured memo assistant."
- IntelliScanner Collector 1.1 adds barcoded printing tools, worldwide media support, and support for both console and computer video games to the cataloging software included with the company's Personal Barcode Reader. Additionally, a new Palm Synchronization Tool has been released for the software.
- MacZoom 2.0 is a free service that helps link Mac users around the world. The software and Web site allows you to search for Mac users in a particular city or country and also send messages to any members.
Bravo II Disc Publisher
Primera Technologies today announced its Bravo II Disc Publisher, which burns and prints CDs and DVDs hands-free. An advanced robotic mechanism is used to transport discs into the built-in 52x CD-R recorder or optional Pioneer combo DVD+/-R/CD-R recorder. After recording, discs are transported to the integrated printer and printed in full-color at up to 4800 dpi resolution. Bravo II prints directly onto the surface of the discs, so no labels are required. The system supports up to 50 discs per job; the label design software runs on Mac OS X 10.2 or later. (Pricing not available.)
SDI to DVI Adapter
Gefen has released its new ex-tend-it SDI to DVI Adapter, an adapter that enables high definition serial digital video transmitted through SDI to be converted to DVI (digital visual interface) for output to DVI displays. It works with all SDI and serial digital video sources, which are commonly used in broadcast and post-production, and outputs a DVI signal compatible with LCD monitors, HDTVs (high definition televisions), video projectors and plasma displays with DVI. The $900 adapter outputs RGB DVI at 1280x1024 resolution and supports PAL, NTSC, 720p, 1080p and 1080I formats.
Apple Japan CEO moves on
McDonald's Holdings Co (Japan) will name Apple Japan CEO President Eiko Harada as its next CEO, "hoping his achievements at the computer company will bolster business at the giant fast-food chain, sources familiar with the plan said Friday. MacDonald's Japan will finalize the appointment of Harada, 55, at a board meeting Feb 13. He will succeed MacDonald's Japan CEO and Chairman Pat Donahue, who will keep the post of representative director," according to Japan Today.
Have you ever tried to put in a screen protector that relies on static to cling to the screen? How many bubbles and wrinkles does it h ...OmniPlan (OS X, iOS)
We reviewed the Omni Group's most famous Mac software, a To Do app called OmniFocus, back in June 2014, and we were impressed. Some o ...Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 projector
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...
10 Most Discussed
- FCC approves net neutrality, Title II proposal in 3-2 vote - 31 replies
- Opponents, supporters of FCC Net Neutrality, Title II vote speak out - 14 replies
- Apple on the hook for $533M lawsuit payout over in-app purchase tech - 12 replies
- First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts - 11 replies
- New Jersey man hospitalized by exploded iPhone 5c battery - 10 replies
- Samsung Pay electronic payment system deployed in Galaxy S6, S6 edge - 8 replies
- Editorial: iCar or Apple moonshot? - 8 replies
- Apple launches video repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros - 8 replies
- Hands On: Records 1.0 (OS X) - 8 replies
- Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May - 7 replies