Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
G5 cluster ranks third
The Virginia Tech supercomputer -- composed of 1100 Apple Power Mac G5 computers -- is ranked third on a list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers. Japan's Earth Simulator and the Los Alamos National Laboratory's supercomputer are the only clusters to outperform the Virginia Tech system. The Virginia Tech cluster has a peak theoretical output of 17600 gigaflops.
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is now available for the Mac, according to one MacNN reader: "ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is more than just a route planner for planning all your business and private journeys efficiently. Besides containing more than 6,500,000 streets in the US & Canada, ROUTE 66 contains no less than 4,000,000 Points of Interest in over 60 categories like hotels, restaurants and petrol stations, most of which together with their addresses and telephone numbers. What is more, ROUTE 66 also provides support for GPS, enabling you to establish your exact location using satellite navigation and ensuring that you will never lose your way again." The $40 software is available for Mac OS X 10.1 or later.
FCP Motion Tracking plugin
Lyric Media has released a new kit of motion tracking and image stabilization plugins for Apple's Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express video editing systems. The Motion Tracking plugin kit uses a sub-pixel feature tracking engine that supports frame-by-frame correction and track smoothing. The kit includes plugins for sub-pixel image stabilization, pinning clips to moving features within other clips, automatically-tracked "cop show" feature blurring, and 4-point corner pinning for attaching signs, etc. to moving objects and buildings with automatic perspective correction. It is available for $50. [791KB]
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones
We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...Jamstik+ MIDI Controller
For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people - 25 replies
- Opinion: Should Apple release a desktop computer that runs iOS? - 23 replies
- Editorial: Five reasons to move to Windows - 23 replies
- Teardown of Apple Pencil reveals it is utterly unrepairable by users - 17 replies
- Cook insists converged iPad, Mac product not coming soon - 15 replies
- Analysis: A tale of two companies - 9 replies
- F.lux developers pull sideloaded app following Apple's complaint - 9 replies
- Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version - 9 replies
- MacNN: Five reasons to switch to Mac - 8 replies
- Tim Cook addresses retail, commences 'inclusion training' company-wide - 7 replies