Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
G5 cluster ranks third
The Virginia Tech supercomputer -- composed of 1100 Apple Power Mac G5 computers -- is ranked third on a list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers. Japan's Earth Simulator and the Los Alamos National Laboratory's supercomputer are the only clusters to outperform the Virginia Tech system. The Virginia Tech cluster has a peak theoretical output of 17600 gigaflops.
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is now available for the Mac, according to one MacNN reader: "ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is more than just a route planner for planning all your business and private journeys efficiently. Besides containing more than 6,500,000 streets in the US & Canada, ROUTE 66 contains no less than 4,000,000 Points of Interest in over 60 categories like hotels, restaurants and petrol stations, most of which together with their addresses and telephone numbers. What is more, ROUTE 66 also provides support for GPS, enabling you to establish your exact location using satellite navigation and ensuring that you will never lose your way again." The $40 software is available for Mac OS X 10.1 or later.
FCP Motion Tracking plugin
Lyric Media has released a new kit of motion tracking and image stabilization plugins for Apple's Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express video editing systems. The Motion Tracking plugin kit uses a sub-pixel feature tracking engine that supports frame-by-frame correction and track smoothing. The kit includes plugins for sub-pixel image stabilization, pinning clips to moving features within other clips, automatically-tracked "cop show" feature blurring, and 4-point corner pinning for attaching signs, etc. to moving objects and buildings with automatic perspective correction. It is available for $50. [791KB]
Looking for a pair of headphones that can do everything a user requires is a task that can take some study. Trying to decide on in-ear ...MaxUpgrades 512GB Retina MacBook Pro SSD
Apple's Retina line of MacBook Pro notebooks have been impressive, right from their debut in 2012. Thinner than the previous model, t ...Lemur BlueDriver
"Oh no, the check engine light is on…again! What one of the hundreds of reasons could it be this time? Probably going to cost a for ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Senator Ted Cruz off the mark with net neutrality comments - 15 replies
- Apple pursuing 'aggressive expansion' in enterprise market - 15 replies
- Some Safari users experiencing severe YouTube playback problems - 12 replies
- Spotify paid over $2B in royalties, CEO responds to Taylor Swift - 12 replies
- FCC chairman rejects President's call for Title II ISP regulation - 11 replies
- Apple must face lawsuit over iMessage's lost texts, says Judge Koh - 10 replies
- First Look: Apple iMac with 5K Retina Display - 10 replies
- AT&T could shelve gigabit fiber investments over net neutrality rules - 10 replies
- Watchmakers issue cease-and-desists to smartwatch face creators - 9 replies
- Xiaomi looking to overtake Apple, Samsung in the next 10 years - 9 replies