Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
G5 cluster ranks third
The Virginia Tech supercomputer -- composed of 1100 Apple Power Mac G5 computers -- is ranked third on a list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers. Japan's Earth Simulator and the Los Alamos National Laboratory's supercomputer are the only clusters to outperform the Virginia Tech system. The Virginia Tech cluster has a peak theoretical output of 17600 gigaflops.
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is now available for the Mac, according to one MacNN reader: "ROUTE 66 Route USA 2004 is more than just a route planner for planning all your business and private journeys efficiently. Besides containing more than 6,500,000 streets in the US & Canada, ROUTE 66 contains no less than 4,000,000 Points of Interest in over 60 categories like hotels, restaurants and petrol stations, most of which together with their addresses and telephone numbers. What is more, ROUTE 66 also provides support for GPS, enabling you to establish your exact location using satellite navigation and ensuring that you will never lose your way again." The $40 software is available for Mac OS X 10.1 or later.
FCP Motion Tracking plugin
Lyric Media has released a new kit of motion tracking and image stabilization plugins for Apple's Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express video editing systems. The Motion Tracking plugin kit uses a sub-pixel feature tracking engine that supports frame-by-frame correction and track smoothing. The kit includes plugins for sub-pixel image stabilization, pinning clips to moving features within other clips, automatically-tracked "cop show" feature blurring, and 4-point corner pinning for attaching signs, etc. to moving objects and buildings with automatic perspective correction. It is available for $50. [791KB]
Have you ever tried to put in a screen protector that relies on static to cling to the screen? How many bubbles and wrinkles does it h ...OmniPlan (OS X, iOS)
We reviewed the Omni Group's most famous Mac software, a To Do app called OmniFocus, back in June 2014, and we were impressed. Some o ...Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 projector
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...
10 Most Discussed
- FCC approves net neutrality, Title II proposal in 3-2 vote - 31 replies
- Opponents, supporters of FCC Net Neutrality, Title II vote speak out - 14 replies
- Apple on the hook for $533M lawsuit payout over in-app purchase tech - 12 replies
- First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts - 11 replies
- New Jersey man hospitalized by exploded iPhone 5c battery - 9 replies
- Apple launches video repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros - 8 replies
- Editorial: iCar or Apple moonshot? - 8 replies
- Hands On: Records 1.0 (OS X) - 8 replies
- Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May - 7 replies
- FCC net neutrality vote today, last minute changes made to proposal - 7 replies