Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Apps: Squidman, NodeScan, Meshwork...
SquidMan 1.1 is a graphical installer and front-end for the Squid proxy
cache for Mac OS X. It can cache downloaded content, act as a proxy server for other computers on your subnet; restore the operation of many MacOS X system services that normally fail through authenticated proxy servers, such as Software Update. The freeware requires Mac OS X. [1.0MB]
CyberDisc today released updated Beta versions of NodeScan, with added instant messaging capability and accounts for individual users. It offers file sharing, searching, group chat, messaging and audio streaming of files in the high quality Ogg Vorbis format. It is free during the beta and pre-registration is $50 for the server and $20 for the client. [Classic, OSX]
Meshwork 2.0 is a 3D triangle-mesh modeling program that is designed for making compact, efficient objects for use in 3D games or on the web. It imports and exports several file formats, including DXF and optimized 3DMF. It can also be used to produce VRML for the web, models for POV-Ray, sprites, models for OpenGL applications, and more. It is $30. [Classic, OSX]
The MacGIMP project is giving away packaged copies of MacGIMP for users who will write up a 500 word description of how they use their favorite GIMP Plugin. Deadline for submissions is May 30, 2003.
FireWire Depot ships 4U Rackmount Chassis
FireWire Depot has released an aluminum 4U Rackmount system capable of housing up to 8 removable trays--each tray is ATA6 compliant, supporting almost any capacity hard drive. The rackmount system features 8 open 5.25" bays and one open 3.5" drive bay as well as optional hot-swap racks, a 300W ATX power supply (with an option for redundant power supplies), 3 cooling fans, foldable alloy handles. Pricing is $305. FireWire Depot also announces the availability of FireWire 1394a cables with 90-degree connectors at one end to "make connecting to certain devices much easier and help clean up any cable mess." The cables are available in 19", 31", 39" and 60" lengths with prices starting at $30.
Every computer with a microphone or headphone port has one -- a digital to analog converter (DAC). There are nearly as many chipsets a ...D-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug
Home automation fans have been getting their fair share of gadgets and accessories in the last few years. Starting with light bulbs, a ...Razer Kraken Pro headset
Gaming headphones are a challenge to get right, for a long list of reasons that are unique to the consumer buying them. Some shoppers ...
10 Most Discussed
- House of Representatives passes municipal broadband-limiting bill - 23 replies
- EU: Apple failing to make 'true cost of apps' clear on App Store [U] - 17 replies
- Several backdoors included on every iOS device, researcher says [U] - 15 replies
- Forums: SuperDuper vs. TimeMachine debate continues - 14 replies
- OS X Yosemite public beta now available - 11 replies
- Sources call for Yosemite in late Oct., Retina MacBook, Mac with 4K - 11 replies
- Apple, IBM announce collaboration on big data, analytics apps [U] - 10 replies
- Apple now blocking older Flash Player plug-ins, citing security flaw - 9 replies
- Snowden: Dropbox is 'hostile to privacy,' cloud needs zero knowledge - 9 replies
- Cook blames second quarterly drop in iPads on anticipation - 8 replies