Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Army Major uses Macs in Middle East
Wired News writes about the importance of one Mac in the Middle East, noting that the 1GHz Titanium PowerBook, which was purchased with a special requisition, works better than the military standard Panasonic Toughbook: "The Mac makes this work simple, quick and efficient. The other laptops either can't open the files or lock up halfway through, losing whatever I was working on at the time, and then (I have) to restart the computer and start over."
Apps: Dejal Simon, Ephemera, Cameraid...
Dejal Simon 1.1 is a site monitoring tool for Mac OS X that checks sites for changes or failures, and notifies you via e-mail, sound, speech, or other means: "You can use it to track updated sites, and to alert you when an important site
goes down or recovers." Simon is localized for both English and French and is available for $30 (basic with up to 3 tests); $60 (Standard with up to 10); and $200 (Enterprise for unlimited tests). [2.5MB]
Aspyr has released NASCAR Racing 2002 Season 1.0.1. This update fixes a number of issues with the retail version of the game, including drafting, issues with unsafe entry into the pits, skid marks, sound on dual CPU computers, and other minor UI and memory tweaks. The $40 title only runs on Mac OS X. [2.5MB]
Stick Software's freeware Ephemera is a "slide show" screensaver with more than 60 photographs. The photos are landscape and nature art photography, are all in color, and were taken at a variety of locations around the world, between 1999 and 2002. [14.7MB]
Juri Munkki's Cameraid 1.3 performs lossless photo rotations, offers a photo grading system, batch processing, file renaming based on EXIF and file info, JPEG image enhancements, and the ability to download photos from many popular digital cameras. The digital photography and photo management utility program adds Mac OS X compatibility, numerous bug fixes and enhancements and some important new features, such as the ability to find and eliminate duplicate photos. The unregistered shareware ($15) version is fully functional, but includes built-in delays and registration reminders in some operations. [Classic, OSX]
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...Thecus N2310 NAS
For every computer user, there comes a point of critical mass in data storage. When it hits, external hard drives, USB sticks and DVD ...iRig Pads
When it comes to mobile music products, IK Multimedia has positioned itself as one of the top suppliers. Right from the early days of ...
10 Most Discussed
- MO lawmaker proposes requiring ID for Google Wallet, Apple Pay sales - 18 replies
- Illinois law mandates handover of students' social media passwords - 16 replies
- Ahrendts' high pay in part to compensate for lost Burberry stock - 13 replies
- Obama sides with UK PM, calls for law enforcement-crackable encryption - 12 replies
- Windows 10 a free upgrade, not subscription, for Windows 7, 8.1 users - 11 replies
- Repatriation bill offers tax break for US return of foreign profits - 11 replies
- FCC redefines broadband speeds as 25Mbps downloads, 3Mbps uploads - 11 replies
- Cook still bullish on iPad despite softening demand - 10 replies
- Adobe updates Flash again due to critical security flaw - 9 replies
- Apple posts $74.6B in Q1 revenues based on iPhone, Mac sales - 8 replies