Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire 800 Roundup
Our Macworld Expo coverage continues with a FireWire technology roundup. Other coverage includes:
Three Expo attendees survive SF accident
A helicopter carrying tourists from last week's Macworld Expo crash landed Friday in the waters near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. According to the Coast Guard, all four people on board, including the three tourists, were rescued within half an hour.
Apps: Missing Sync, Moho, Update Fixer...
Jeff Gordon's AppleSpec is a FileMaker Pro database that contains up-to-date information on almost all Apple Products. It adds info on the new Aluminum PowerBook and other recent Apple products, such as the 20GB iPod (and Windows versions of all 3 sizes), 17" flat-panel iMac, and the Burton Amp. [9.1MB]
Mark/Space's Missing Sync 3.04 adds HotSync support for the Sony CLIÉ NX series. The $30 (electronic version) application offers Mac OS X to Palm Desktop 4.0 HotSync support, support for mounting a Memory Stick as an external volume under Mac OS X, and integration of iPhoto and iTunes for Sony CLIÉ users. It runs on both Mac OS 9 (older version) and Mac OS X.
HTML-Optimizer Pro 2.2 is a $20 shareware utility to check and optimize web pages for faster loading. Version 2.2 adds date/time sensitivity, a warning dialog for overwriting original data, and other enhancements. It runs on Mac OS X. [1.8MB]
Matt Carrell's Update Fixer 1.1 fixes a common problem in Mac OS X where System Preference's Software Update fails to log installed updates: "This problem (as described recently by AppleCare Document #107136 ) is normally caused because something has goofed the log file folder permissions. Unfortunately, Disk Utility does not fix this--even though it has a repair permissions function!" [82KB]
Moho 4.03 is a 2D vector-based cartoon animation application that proides a "complete set of tools you need to create an animated cartoon, from drawing and coloring to keyframe animation, multi-layer compositing and final rendering of QuickTime and AVI movie files. Moho can be used to create animation for video, film, or streaming over the web." The $100 application is available for Mac OS X.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME
When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...
10 Most Discussed
- Bad Apples: the worst Mac products ever - 42 replies
- MacNN Staffers: What made the Mac the choice for you? - 16 replies
- Swatch CEO outlines smartwatch plans, calls Apple Watch 'toy' - 14 replies
- T-Mobile cracking down on extreme bandwidth users of its LTE network - 10 replies
- Google advises developers on how to weaken iOS 9 app security - 10 replies
- Hands On: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 9 replies
- Continued iTunes library testing: all is still not well, but improving - 9 replies
- Rumor Roundup: high resolution iPad in ad analytics, possible stylus - 8 replies
- Survey: six weeks on, Apple Music shows good news, bad news [U] - 7 replies
- Pono struggling to expand due to lack of resources, no new CEO - 6 replies