Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FireWire 800 Roundup
Our Macworld Expo coverage continues with a FireWire technology roundup. Other coverage includes:
Three Expo attendees survive SF accident
A helicopter carrying tourists from last week's Macworld Expo crash landed Friday in the waters near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. According to the Coast Guard, all four people on board, including the three tourists, were rescued within half an hour.
Apps: Missing Sync, Moho, Update Fixer...
Jeff Gordon's AppleSpec is a FileMaker Pro database that contains up-to-date information on almost all Apple Products. It adds info on the new Aluminum PowerBook and other recent Apple products, such as the 20GB iPod (and Windows versions of all 3 sizes), 17" flat-panel iMac, and the Burton Amp. [9.1MB]
Mark/Space's Missing Sync 3.04 adds HotSync support for the Sony CLIÉ NX series. The $30 (electronic version) application offers Mac OS X to Palm Desktop 4.0 HotSync support, support for mounting a Memory Stick as an external volume under Mac OS X, and integration of iPhoto and iTunes for Sony CLIÉ users. It runs on both Mac OS 9 (older version) and Mac OS X.
HTML-Optimizer Pro 2.2 is a $20 shareware utility to check and optimize web pages for faster loading. Version 2.2 adds date/time sensitivity, a warning dialog for overwriting original data, and other enhancements. It runs on Mac OS X. [1.8MB]
Matt Carrell's Update Fixer 1.1 fixes a common problem in Mac OS X where System Preference's Software Update fails to log installed updates: "This problem (as described recently by AppleCare Document #107136 ) is normally caused because something has goofed the log file folder permissions. Unfortunately, Disk Utility does not fix this--even though it has a repair permissions function!" [82KB]
Moho 4.03 is a 2D vector-based cartoon animation application that proides a "complete set of tools you need to create an animated cartoon, from drawing and coloring to keyframe animation, multi-layer compositing and final rendering of QuickTime and AVI movie files. Moho can be used to create animation for video, film, or streaming over the web." The $100 application is available for Mac OS X.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
If you're like us, chances are you've come to realize that you need the ability to access the Internet on the go. Also, you've prob ...15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch
Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to be a popular notebook with professional users and prosumers looking for the ultimate ...Typo keyboard for iPad
Following numerous legal shenanigans between Typo -- a company founded in part by Ryan Seacrest -- and the clear object of his physica ...
10 Most Discussed
- My Stupid Fault: iCloud vs local iPhone backups - 12 replies
- Follow-up: Dalrymple's iTunes issues largely fixed, patch coming - 12 replies
- Pointers: Tethering to your iPhone - 11 replies
- Pointers: Taming the Applications folder with sub-folders - 11 replies
- Cook on Apple Watch: no numbers, but recent claims wrong - 10 replies
- AT&T rails against $100 million FCC fine for misleading customers - 9 replies
- Senator Franken, Consumer Watchdog call for App Store investigation - 9 replies
- MacNN testing concludes on Samsung SSDs and Apple Trim implementation - 8 replies
- Mac pundit Jim Dalrymple bemoans 'nightmarish' iTunes struggles - 7 replies
- Apple breaks quarterly records with strong iPhone, Mac sales - 6 replies