Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Journalizer enables File Journaling feature
Journalizer is a free utility for Mac OS X 10.2.2. which will "allow you to activate or deactivate Apple's new file journaling feature without using the command line, and, you don't need to be running OS X server software." Update: Apple notes that third-party disk utilities that have not been updated to recognize journaling may turn it off in the course of repairing a volume.
Apple posts Switch ad, adds Switch stories
Apple has posted a new set of Switch stories. It also yesterday posted the TV ad from music group De La Soul, a wrap up of its participation in Technology + Learning Conference in Dallas, and a feature on music group Coldplay described as "a diehard Mac band with Power Macs in their studio, and plenty of PowerBooks and iPods on the tour circuit.".
Apple's Hotnews section also notes a recent positive Power Mac G4 review in the USA Today and Wired News' "Maine Spawns Budding Kubricks," which describes 7th graders writing screenplays and iMovie-based claymation projects.
Eudora Internet Mail Server 3.2 in beta
Glenn Anderson has released EIMS 3.2b1, an update to the Internet mail server for Mac OS 7/8/9 and Mac OS X. The beta, which expires on December 18th, adds completely rewritten relay restrictions, a new domain name resolver (DNR), a backup SMTP Submit port, IP range restrictions, reduced CPU utilization when idle, and other enhancements. A full license is $400. [Classic, OSX]
Dell tops Apple in education sales
Quality Education Data reports that Macs are one-third of the installed base in US schools, and that Apple is second to Dell: "Macintosh is the single most common brand of instructional computer in schools today, but Wintel computers (from all makers combined) constitute more than two-thirds of the installed base. Of Wintel computers, Dell Computer is the most common brand with an estimated 18% of the installed base. Dell is also the leading brand in district plans to purchase instructional computers for the 2002-2003 school year, with a 35% share, beating out Apple's Macintosh brand (21%) for the lead....Almost one-half of the districts surveyed (43%) report current ownership of wireless devices.."
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 9 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- New iOS 8.1.2 release solves problems with missing ringtones - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies