Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
FirewireDirect unveils Ultra 160 SCSI RAID
FirewireDirect has unveiled the Vanguard Ultra One, an Ultra 160 SCSI Raid Solution for 1U Rackmounts providing RAID level 0, 1, 3, 0+1 and 5. The system offers storing capabilities up to 800GB and is powered by an Intel 80303 64-bit RISC processor. It also features 256MB of High Speed Cache and a Smart function LCD panel for user controls. The Enclosure Kit (no drives) is priced at $2655, 480GB (4x120) is $3655, 720GB (4x180) is $4355, and 800GB (4x200) is $4555.
Apps: Fire, Bugdom 2, Sound Studio...
epicware's Fire 0.31e is an update to the popular multi-protocol internet instant chat client that provides support for AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!, IRC, MSN, and Jabber chat services. This version adds more smileys, sends typing notifications, and fixes several bugs. [2.2MB]
AppMac's bManager 3.0 is a $100 professional contact manager and CRM application for OS X, offering support for Apple's Address Book, integrated email functions, vCard format support, unlimited contacts, group management, and an improved interface. [6.0MB]
Deep Sky's maintenance update, HTTP Client Deux v1.1.1b01, is a 4th Dimension component which provides a comprehensive set of HTTP and HTTPS request methods for use throughout 4D based projects.
Sound Studio 2.06 fixes several bugs in the audio recording and editing tool. The digital audio editor can record up to 2GB of audio, mix audio, apply effects filters, generate tones, pitch-shift and resample audio, and open and save in several file formats. [1.2MB]
Pangea has posted Bugdom 2 v1.01 addresses issues on older versions of Mac OS 9 as well as a problem saving games on Mac OS 9 and other minor localization issues. [300KB]
Keyboard utils offer special character access
Angelo Scicolone's $10 shareware XChar 3.0 for quickly locating special characters adds support for Mac OS 8/9, displays HTML codes for special characters, offers customized translucency, and other features. ergonis software also released PopChar X 1.3.1 ($30), a maintenance update to the OS X sibling of the popular PopChar Pro. Users can also enable a similar menu within Mac OS X (with less functions) under the International Panel in the System Preferences under the Input Menu tab ("Character Palette"). [XC, PC-X]
Apple quietly posts QuickTime 6.02
Apple yesterday evening posted QuickTime 6.02 via the software update and on the Web, but has not detailed the changes, according to one reader, although we have not been able to confirm it. A standalone QuickTime 6.02 installer is also available. Update: Most users report that the software update function has been down since last night, but the download is indeed available on the Web.
IDG surprised by Apple move, vows to continue
IDG yesterday said it would continue the East Coast Macworld Expo with or without Apple, but noted that Apple's response surprised even the IDG CEO:
"I spoke to Apple as late as 9 p.m. last night, and they said nothing to me about what they did today," Greco said. "Nothing." Greco said that he speaks regularly to Apple, and that the two firms have been working on plans for two more Macworld shows, in Britain and Germany. Greco speculated that Apple may not want to have two major US shows each year, because the company doesn't have enough new products in its development pipeline to justify the large, expensive keynote events held at each show....Greco predicted that the loss of Apple would depress Macworld attendance by only 10 to 15 percent, and he vowed the show would proceed."
Badia releases two new XTensions
Badia Software has announced two new XTensions for Mac QuarkXPress 4.1 and 5.0: ContactPage XT and Exportools XT.
- ContactPage XT ($60) fast-tracks the creation of picture contact sheets, along with captions, for easy cataloguing. It has a comprehensive set of customizable features that lets users select page size and margins, grid layout, picture and text box dimensions, as well as extensive caption information. It also includes a "resume" feature that begins cataloguing exactly where you left off after a break.
- Exportools XT ($60) automates the process of saving document pages as individual files in several popular formats, including EPS, PostScript, plain or rich text, page screenshots and html. Users can choose which pages to export (spreads as well as single pages), the rules governing the file names, and, optionally, any program in which to open the new files for post-processing.
Apps: Macaroni, pro Fit, PowerMate...
Macaroni 1.0 is a $8 shareware tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X's Unix core, offering automatic execution of standard Unix tasks, a configurable interface for adding custom tasks at specified intervals, a history of performed actions, and other options. [1.1MB]
QuantumSoft today released pro Fit 5.6.3, a free update to its $95 tool for the analysis, processing, plotting and evaluation of numerical data and mathematical functions. The update provides various bug fixes and improves compatibility with Mac OS 10.2. [Classic, OSX]
Griffin's PowerMate 1.5.1 driver for Mac OS X brings a new Special Key command and other usability enhancements to the software for its PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller. [3.3MB]
Emailchemy 1.3.2 adds new export options, an Outlook Express for Windows conversion wizard, improved Eudora converters, and better QuickMail conversion to the $25 email conversion utility. [323KB]
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Polk, a company well-established in the audio market, recently released a new set of headphones aimed at the lifestyle market. The Hin ...Blue Yeti Studio
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...
10 Most Discussed
- Feature: Five reasons to skip El Capitan for now - 31 replies
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan released to public - 24 replies
- Opinion: OS X El Capitan -- Upgrade or Not? - 21 replies
- Five reasons to update to El Capitan - 20 replies
- Editorial: In defense of the 16GB iPhone 6s - 14 replies
- Apple pulls iFixit developer credentials over Apple TV teardown - 12 replies
- Amazon to sellers: Apple TV, Chromecast no longer welcome - 12 replies
- Songwriter criticizes low royalty payments from streaming services - 11 replies
- Apple warning developers about new Chinese, Japanese taxes - 10 replies
- Follow-up: Sorkin apologizes for remarks against Cook - 9 replies